Disable Hill Start Assist for MT Cars

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 Toyota MR2, 2023 Toyota Supra MT
Does anyone know if there's a way to disable, or code-out Hill Start Assist for the MT Cars? Couldn't find it in any of the iDrive menu's, or Bimmercode easy mode (Admittedly it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to look again in-case I missed it)

Wasn't able to find any articles, or other threads on this so I figured I'd ask.
Sponsored

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Curious if there is, seems to be standard on all new cars now.

Is it causing you trouble?

OP
OP
NicKnack

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Curious if there is, seems to be standard on all new cars now.

Is it causing you trouble?
It's not causing me trouble or anything, I'm just used to driving manuals without it so it just feels a bit weird to me when the car doesn't roll back a bit on an incline. I can learn to live with it/get used to it, but if possible I'd rather just turn it off

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
It's not causing me trouble or anything, I'm just used to driving manuals without it so it just feels a bit weird to me when the car doesn't roll back a bit on an incline. I can learn to live with it/get used to it, but if possible I'd rather just turn it off
Cool - I hope you manage to get used to it, I find the no-roll beneficial and I find it should potentially ever so slightly increase the life of the clutch plate given you have those 1-2 seconds to give the correct amount of gas rather than needing to slightly over-gas to avoid too much rollback.

On a very mild gradient, I tend to agree with you as sometimes it holds you slightly longer than you'd prefer, when you just want to move, however, on steep inclines, I find it a good compromise between a sloppy clutch burner start and a full on handbrake hill start.

On that note, just saying in case you didn't experience it yet: if you're at a stoplight uphill for a while, and put in neutral and e-brake on, you can then pull away in 1st gear gently (with e-brake still on) and the e-brake releases automatically (no need to touch the button) once the bite point is reached, which is weird at first, but quite cool.

Strongly suggest to test it out for yourself, as it might catch you out; there are some people/threads on the forum claiming this system is faulty/dangerous, releasing the e-brake "by itself", however I never experienced any issues at all - these people also seem to be doing some sort of strange tap dancing ritual of 5 or 6 pedal touches in a specific sequence, in order for the "fault" to occur though.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Not sure if this is what you want but take a look at this and if you decide to experiment, report your findings here.

EDIT: Pretty sure this is coding something different to what OP is after.. not sure?

OP
OP
NicKnack

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cool - I hope you manage to get used to it, I find the no-roll beneficial and I find it should potentially ever so slightly increase the life of the clutch plate given you have those 1-2 seconds to give the correct amount of gas rather than needing to slightly over-gas to avoid too much rollback.

On a very mild gradient, I tend to agree with you as sometimes it holds you slightly longer than you'd prefer, when you just want to move, however, on steep inclines, I find it a good compromise between a sloppy clutch burner start and a full on handbrake hill start.

On that note, just saying in case you didn't experience it yet: if you're at a stoplight uphill for a while, and put in neutral and e-brake on, you can then pull away in 1st gear gently (with e-brake still on) and the e-brake releases automatically (no need to touch the button) once the bite point is reached, which is weird at first, but quite cool.

Strongly suggest to test it out for yourself, as it might catch you out; there are some people/threads on the forum claiming this system is faulty/dangerous, releasing the e-brake "by itself", however I never experienced any issues at all - these people also seem to be doing some sort of strange tap dancing ritual of 5 or 6 pedal touches in a specific sequence, in order for the "fault" to occur though.
I'll have to give that a test, cool that Toyota would include a feature that emulates that for starting on super steep inclines.

I'll do some more digging around Bimmercode to see if I can find anything related to Hill Start Assist and post here/in the Bimmercode thread if I find anything and it ends up working.

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
If this annoys you, don't have children.

I don't have kids, I just know they're annoying AF.

swrdply400mrelay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Veloster N, 2024 Stratosphere MT
Did you find a solution?

It's really annoying. Sometimes it doesn't release when the car start to move so for a brief second so I hear grinding, which I assume is from the rotors grinding the brake pads.

OP
OP
NicKnack

NicKnack

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you find a solution?

It's really annoying. Sometimes it doesn't release when the car start to move so for a brief second so I hear grinding, which I assume is from the rotors grinding the brake pads.
I have not unfortunately. I've pored over the manual a bunch and haven't found a way to do it, similarly with Bimmercode.

My car is in storage currently and I have it's first service coming up this Spring, I'm on friendly terms with the techs at the dealer so I was going to ask if there's a way for them to turn it off using dealer tools.

Ultimately I've learned to live with it at this point, but I'll still turn it off if/when it's ever an option
Sponsored