tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Another option to consider in disabling the Active Sound Design (ASD), that doesn't require having to recode the ASD module using Bimmercode, is to simply unplug the ASD module...This only takes 15~20 min to remove 2 panels, unplug the ASD module, and reinstall panels...And best of all...It's free and doesn't require purchase of Bimmercode or OBDII module...

Unplugging the ASD module will not cause any hard error codes to occur as the ASD module only receives signals...The ASD module doesn't send any signals back onto the can-bus line...

What is Active Sound Design and how does it work?

Active sound design description 2.jpg

Why remove ASD from the Audio System?

ASD is simply an electrical sound generator which overlays a faux engine sound / noise on top of the audio amplifier speaker channels...Removing this sound overlay significantly improves the sound clarity of the OE audio system...

AMP ASD Diagram Supra.jpg

Location of ASD module:

Supra HK Amp and ASD lettered.jpg

Location of Amp and ASD Module:

Amplifier.jpg

Panel Removal Instructions to Get to ASD Module:

Amp panel a1.jpg

Amp panel a2.jpg

Amp panel a3.jpg

Unlatching / Disconnecting the ASD Plug:

unplug ASD.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
Appreciate the guide here. One thing that I messed up at first is that you actually have to pull off another layer of trim that is further up the hatch in order to reveal the torx screws highlighted by "1." I believe that this piece is what they called the deck side trim cover in the instructions. So it might be easier to pull that off first, then do the torx screws, then continue with removing the clips in "2" and "3." Once you've done it once though, it is much easier to re-do.

Question for anyone else who has done this, was there any rattle from the cable being free and flopping about? I forgot to think about securing it with some electrical tape. I guess I'll find out when I go for a drive later today.

EDIT: Finished the drive and I couldn't hear any rattling from either the cable or the trim pieces. I didn't test the audio much, but I did notice the lack of engine audio, especially the downshift/deceleration pops. For those who don't want to pay for Bimmercode or similar tool, I think it's worth the time. If you don't have torx screwdrivers then you can probably pick up a set for 8-10 dollars.

Last edited:

Supra Werty

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
How does it sound? Better with or without fake engine sound? Stock exhaust I assume?

Manny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86 & Lexus RC F
How does it sound? Better with or without fake engine sound? Stock exhaust I assume?
I would imagine its up to the ear of the individual. To me it sounds great, in sport mode the cabin is quieter and the sound system sounds better. The pops and exhaust can still be heard (not as loud in the cabin) but you can tell they are coming from the outside. I love it but I have read of folks that hate it and reverted back. :hmm:

YungMercureal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium Supra - Nitro Yellow
In my opinion, I think it is overall better, especially if you want to listen to music and be in sport mode. It's easy enough to revert that I would recommend anyone to just try it for a few days and go from there.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I used the Bimmer code but either way, I don't want any fake stupid sound. That just makes the car, part toy.

Phantom Grey Supra

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019’ Yamaha R1m —2020 F450—2021 Supra 3.0 —1999 silverado 4x4–1997 Husqvarna CR250– 2012 VW Jetta GLI TDI conversion
Another option to consider in disabling the Active Sound Design (ASD), that doesn't require having to recode the ASD module using Bimmercode, is to simply unplug the ASD module...This only takes 15~20 min to remove 2 panels, unplug the ASD module, and reinstall panels...And best of all...It's free and doesn't require purchase of Bimmercode or OBDII module...

Unplugging the ASD module will not cause any error codes to occur as the ASD module only receives signals...The ASD module doesn't send any signals back onto the can-bus line...

What is Active Sound Design and how does it work?

Active sound design description 2.jpg

Why remove ASD from the Audio System?

ASD is simply an electrical sound generator which overlays a faux engine sound / noise on top of the audio amplifier speaker channels...Removing this sound overlay significantly improves the sound clarity of the OE audio system...

AMP ASD Diagram Supra.jpg

Location of ASD module:

Supra HK Amp and ASD lettered.jpg

Location of Amp and ASD Module:

Amplifier.jpg

Panel Removal Instructions to Get to ASD Module:

Amp panel a1.jpg

Amp panel a2.jpg

Amp panel a3.jpg

Unlatching / Disconnecting the ASD Plug:

unplug ASD.jpg
Good write up. Your pretty good

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Is ASD active in both Normal and Sport modes?

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
@tadda

Deactivating the ADS like your instructions say but According to your diagram am I missing something here? Where the loop fasterner wraps around something? It was never wrapped around anything. I had the car in for service and wondering if they forgot to put something back?

20200919_113225.jpg

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Also im stuck at this part. Cant figure out how to remove this side panel.

20200919_115915.jpg

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
@tadda

Deactivating the ADS like your instructions say but According to your diagram am I missing something here? Where the loop fasterner wraps around something? It was never wrapped around anything. I had the car in for service and wondering if they forgot to put something back?

20200919_113225.jpg
That is the location where the road hazard stand (during tire replacement) is strapped into...we here in the US do not get one of these so it's empty...
Sponsored