Do I really need an air filter?

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
For real tho here’s a small update. It’s now 4 layers of wire mesh, 1st coarse steel mesh, 2 layers of fine aluminum mesh then a last layer of coarse steel mesh. I’m definitely not worried about sucking anything in, but in the case of catastrophic failure, well I guess I’ll start my journey to an 8 sec car, lol…
IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3355.jpeg
IMG_3356.jpeg
This might be ok temporarily but I'd recommend finding a way to pipe in an intake filter. Even if its a reducer or a 90 down or up to some other part of the car. Yes you'll lose some power but there are ways to gain that back.

Dust and dirt really do damage to an engine over time...Your oil filter is basically evidence of this. Neglect either and you may shorten your engine life.

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
This might be ok temporarily but I'd recommend finding a way to pipe in an intake filter. Even if its a reducer or a 90 down or up to some other part of the car. Yes you'll lose some power but there are ways to gain that back.

Dust and dirt really do damage to an engine over time...Your oil filter is basically evidence of this. Neglect either and you may shorten your engine life.
I have the filter just changing things up…
IMG_3690.jpeg

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Living in the desert I’d never run without a filter. Long long time ago I thought it would be cool to take my FRS out to the dry lake beds, one of the WRX’s in the flat4lv group went also and had no filter. I’m not apart of that group and don’t want to go looking for a picture from 9 years ago, but on the way home he was stating how much power the car lost. After 4 hours or so of honing around on the lake bed with no filter his compressor wheel was just fucked. These are pictures I googled but his looked more worn out then these.

like one of the guys said these turbos spin tens of thousands of RPM, just little dust will wear blades out.

of course if you don’t care about how long things last, then it doesn’t matter.

IMG_1504.jpeg

IMG_1868.jpeg

IMG_1867.jpeg

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Man I live there. I can't live without an air filter. Shit even with an air filter I always find fust in the intake and charge pipes.
Same, though the desert Las Vegas is in does NOT compare to your desert lol. Still with the 2-layer red oiled filter from HKS I do find a very very light coating of fine dust in the intake. I have ordered their 3-layer green dry filter for dusty climates. but also ordered a red just in case I don't like the "performance" of the green filter. I have read it muffles the sounds and saps some power, i also read its perfectly fine btu 20$ each its fine to have both.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
@D3ad_Hand & @gixxersixxerman guys in live in Washington State, def no deseret here! lololo
You probably wont have a issue. I know there was a couple guys here with bottom mount turbos on their mustang and just ran screens. Insane to me, but im sure you will be fine there... I have a old video of me messing around with a friend RS when i had a "big turbo" ST that had a bottom dump EWG. the dust and sand it kicks up is stupid, and these guys run without filters for years here..

This is what happens from the dump kicking up dust

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@gixxersixxerman I know it's crazy dusty down there. We have family in Glendale and they have a nice house but the tile floor is ALWAYS dusty! I'll be down there in January, Scottsdale, you should swoop by we'll get a drink or something

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Same, though the desert Las Vegas is in does NOT compare to your desert lol. Still with the 2-layer red oiled filter from HKS I do find a very very light coating of fine dust in the intake. I have ordered their 3-layer green dry filter for dusty climates. but also ordered a red just in case I don't like the "performance" of the green filter. I have read it muffles the sounds and saps some power, i also read its perfectly fine btu 20$ each its fine to have both.
Used to scare me everytime I took off my filter to clean it, but you get used to it. I'm currently using Simota Stainless Steel air intake pretty nice and loud.
@D3ad_Hand & @gixxersixxerman guys in live in Washington State, def no deseret here! lololo
Maaaaaaannnnnn I'm all the way in the middle east in the UAE in Alain (I'm literally surrounded by the dessert lol). It is in the AbuDhabi Province and an hour away from Dubai.
Sponsored