Do you guys drive your Supra in winter with summer tires?

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
Why anyone would even consider running a car, let alone the Supra, on summer tires in the winter is beyond me.
The word "summer tires" should give a clue.
Also why would you want to drive your Supra in the snow and get all that road salt all over it. I made the mistake last year in Feb, It hadn't snowed for a few days, I decided to drive it into work. I have all seasons on it instead of summer tires, so the tires were good. By the time I got it back home it was almost white with the salt on it. I have the blue Supra so the salt shows up even worse. After seeing that It became a 3 season car. this winter it is safely covered in it's heated garage. I have my BMW 4 series X drive for the winter. It does very well, though not as fun to drive as the Supra.

TX2.0

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra, '19 XT4, Club Car Precedent
I was not planning to need winter tires.
Then winter came to Texas.
Now the Supra sits in the garage.
My XT4 sits in the drive covered with snow.
I sit in the house and drink rum.
We get power every hour and then no power for half an hour.

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
I was thinking about switching out the PSS's for the ExtremeContact DWS 06's but what should I do with the PSS's? Keep them or sell? is there any point to keeping them since I live in WA?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Toshi - Tires can go bad with age so Iā€™d sell them if you are sure you donā€™t need them for a while.

With the industry rubber shortage, maybe a good buy for some.

GenericUser1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Prem. Yelllow, 2017 BMW R9T Classic
Summer tires shouldn't really be used below about 40 degrees. Depends on the specific tire compound of course. The compound hardens at lower temperatures and reduces stopping distances even on dry cold pavement (think driving on a hockey puck). You can also do damage to the integrity of the tire.

You can drive a RWD car in the winter, I drove an M3 in the winter you just need a set of winter tires and rims. Notice I said winter and not necessarily snow. The problem with sports cars and snow even with snow tires is ground clearance.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Ultra high performance summer tires are garbage below about 40 F. Throw a little bit of rain in there and the road turns to glass. At that point it's no longer about how you drive, it's simply a matter of luck.

I'll drive the Supra down to around 40 F, maybe 30 F if it's clear, dry, and sunny outside. Not at all if there's snow, nothing below 40 F if there's rain, and nothing below 30 F period. I have a WRX with winter tires for those conditions.

I've driven a car with summer tires in the snow before. 3 hours of white-knuckling and sliding constantly to make the 10 mile drive home from work. Never again. With winter tires you can just cruise along in the snow at 40 mph, slaloming around all of the idiots on summer tires stuck in the middle of the road.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
Ultra high performance summer tires are garbage below about 40 F. Throw a little bit of rain in there and the road turns to glass. At that point it's no longer about how you drive, it's simply a matter of luck.

I'll drive the Supra down to around 40 F, maybe 30 F if it's clear, dry, and sunny outside. Not at all if there's snow, nothing below 40 F if there's rain, and nothing below 30 F period. I have a WRX with winter tires for those conditions.

I've driven a car with summer tires in the snow before. 3 hours of white-knuckling and sliding constantly to make the 10 mile drive home from work. Never again. With winter tires you can just cruise along in the snow at 40 mph, slaloming around all of the idiots on summer tires stuck in the middle of the road.
Once wetness is introduced in cold, summer tires get dangerous.

All seasons are usually fine for most when not in snow, but dedicated snows are best for winter conditions.

As mentioned previously, several manufacturers warn of irreversible tire damage for their summer tires if used below a certain temp. Not to mention you can easily total your Supra if you happen to hit a wet patch going around a bend.

Not worth it to run summer tires outside of their clearly stated limits.

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Once wetness is introduced in cold, summer tires get dangerous.

All seasons are usually fine for most when not in snow, but dedicated snows are best for winter conditions.

As mentioned previously, several manufacturers warn of irreversible tire damage for their summer tires if used below a certain temp. Not to mention you can easily total your Supra if you happen to hit a wet patch going around a bend.

Not worth it to run summer tires outside of their clearly stated limits.
I just got my all-season tires for the winter. Will I be able to drive below 30 degrees without snow?