max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
No one that bought a 2.0 will admit they bought the imitation crab meat Supra. The 2.0 is completely neutered in drive train and features.
"I bought the imitation crab meat Supra.....!!!!!!" There, I said it. .....not quite sure how you get "neutered in drive train and features" when they share the same darn tranny and safety/tech package/CF mirrors??????? Like @ImNotHome , the cash saved is going to tinted windows, upgrade brakes and a $1500 "hoopty' to drive when the weather is crappy!!:headbang:
Sponsored

Sub-MkV

First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Renaissance Red
If my 2.0 was as slow and torqueless as my 86 the 3.0 would've made more sense to me. I typically love the middle ground option in most things in life. Not too hot or cold. No wonder Fall is my favorite season lol

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
in my opinion, the title of this thread sickens me for deminimizing tone of it. I think we can think of better way to express than that.... but in today's world, you title it in such way so you get more click.. sad...

Besides that, 2.0 wasn't available when i bought mine so I hadn't had chance to drive one. however, I would've not have minded owning one if price was right. Matter of the fact, I do hope to have a student with 2.0 so I can feel the handling on the track. with some brake & suspension tuning, 2.0 can be a funs car to drive in a track. I may go that route in the future.. who knows..

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
I've had mine for about a month now and 2k miles. From a performance, driving, and tech standpoint for the price I'm still super happy with it. The only thing I'm really been getting disappointed with is the amount of effort that BMW put into making the powertrain essentially silent, only to pipe it back in via speakers.

My plant is to wait until I'm completely fed up with that and then spend a few $ks un corking the powertrains noise. Hopefully by then there will be more options available with more reviews as right now that market is still super limited.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
Love my 2.0 plenty fast, one huge complainā€¦single piston front calipers???
Really Toyotaā€¦..WTFā€¦ā€¦this is not 1989ā€¦
Plenty of spec race car series use single piston calipers with similar power and weight (and way more tire). Throw a real race oriented pad and some RBF 600 in there and you won't have brake fade unless you're abusing the brakes.

ImNotHome

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
No one that bought a 2.0 will admit they bought the imitation crab meat Supra. The 2.0 is completely neutered in drive train and features.
I mean, Iā€™m fully willing to admit that itā€™s the lesser Supra. But unless youā€™re going to start paying my bills... ?

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Test drive both and make your decision then. Forget what people say. Seat time behind both models is the proper way to make your final determination.
That is exactly what I did.....some dealers won't let you take them on the street. I test drove them both the "first" time on a small so-called "track' behind the dealer so not much feedback could be had. Second dealer (one I purchased from), let me actually take the cars on the street.......

I was more than ready to plunk down for the 3.0 but when I called upon my "rational" brain and considered how I would drive the car 95% of the time, the extra 7K just didn't make sense.
I mean, Iā€™m fully willing to admit that itā€™s the lesser Supra. But unless youā€™re going to start paying my bills... ?
YEP....;)

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I own a 3.0 and drove the 2.0. personally it was not for me, I noticed the lack of power immediately, but more importantly then the power the sound was probably the biggest thing for me. Plus the LSD and upgraded breaks were important for me, the forged wheels are a big plus too. I paid 47k for my brand new 57.5k msrp 3.0 premium 6 months ago and that is a couple grand away from a 2.0. some guys in our chat have paid 51k+ for 2.0's. Fuel economy isn't a big deal, I can get 30+ cruising on the highway. If you just want it for looks, sure, and it is still a fun car compared to a regular commuter car. But for me the price difference does not make sense. Plus while some 3.0's can be tuned, no 2.0s can be flashed. and if you find a deal a leftover 2020 you will have the ability to tune, similar prices, and no oil issues. No hate to the 2.0 guys, were all car lovers and love supra's. but for my money the 3.0 is a no brainer. Especially since this is my daily/toy/ project etc. Good luck with your choice OP. But get a 3.0 if you can.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
"I bought the imitation crab meat Supra.....!!!!!!" There, I said it. .....not quite sure how you get "neutered in drive train and features" when they share the same darn tranny and safety/tech package/CF mirrors??????? Like @ImNotHome , the cash saved is going to tinted windows, upgrade brakes and a $1500 "hoopty' to drive when the weather is crappy!!:headbang:
Just actually wanted to say something I noticed, even tho they both use a ZF8 they are tuned super different. The 3.0 is a lot quicker and the downshifts are more rev matched. the 2.0 still is snappy and quick, but that was one of the things i noticed pretty quickly. But the lighter front end is so nice, I've done a lot of handling mods to achieve that better weight balance, well that isn't possible really, but to stop body roll in the front like doing sway bars, springs, the cusco engine braces etc. at the end of the day, if power was not a factor, and you had same breaks, tires, and suspension on a 2.0 vs 3.0, the lighter better balanced 2.0 would be faster around a track.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
The 3.0 is a lot quicker and the downshifts are more rev matched. the 2.0 still is snappy and quick, but that was one of the things i noticed pretty quickly.
I will take that as a "compliment"....;) I noticed the shifting a little different but not as much......that may have something to do with the HP/TQ difference between the two engines??????????

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
@Vexeclipse2007

I too was in the EXACT predicament a little less than 2 weeks ago just before I bought my Supra. I did lose a small amount of sleep trying to weigh the "pros and cons"...... Just when I thought I was convinced of getting the 2.0, a damn "scatpack" would gun it past me and i would immediately think, "just wait 'til next week A$$HOLE when i drive that Supra up your A$$!!!!

Then, after driving a little further, I would think "that is the STUPIDEST reason to buy the Supra. yeah, everything looks like "fast and furious" on YT but REAL LIFE does not work that way. I am all about fun in my ride and the main reason for looking at Supras in the first place was a bonafide 2-seater that could handle the curves and have enough "get up and go" to leave the "left lane huggers" in the damn dust but not so much as to attempt to outrun the State Police.........

The choice was not easy for me I will admit but I made my choice with the 2.0 and I love the car. I sleep very well at night now. Your wallet, your choice.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
Just actually wanted to say something I noticed, even tho they both use a ZF8 they are tuned super different. The 3.0 is a lot quicker and the downshifts are more rev matched. the 2.0 still is snappy and quick, but that was one of the things i noticed pretty quickly. But the lighter front end is so nice, I've done a lot of handling mods to achieve that better weight balance, well that isn't possible really, but to stop body roll in the front like doing sway bars, springs, the cusco engine braces etc. at the end of the day, if power was not a factor, and you had same breaks, tires, and suspension on a 2.0 vs 3.0, the lighter better balanced 2.0 would be faster around a track.
In Europe we have a SportPack for 2.0 - adaptive suspension, eLSD and bigger red Brembo brakes go back on the car. All that for around 3k USD ;)
Add to that anti body roll parts like You mentioned and... ;)
There is nothing that can be done to 3.0 to mimic the engine placement of 2.0, they are just in different place.
Also 3.0 is 50% more expensive than 2.0 here in Pl, in USD it would be like 55k for 3.0 and 38k for 2.0.
Cant be tunned tho, but my tunner said its a matter of time when they break the code on new BMW engines, after that easy 300hp and +.

B58ftw

First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 gr supra
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! I did get to test drive both cars and even went back for a second one in the 2.0(different dealer). Wanted to make sure what the choice was going to be........

For me after both test drives:
1 - pull of the 3.0 is "intoxicating" from a dig.
2- you will feel that 200+lb less weight especially up front. difference is bigger than reviews let on...
3- at about 120 - 130mph you will know you have the 2.0(making an assumption on this one - didn't get the 3.0 that fast) even though there is quite a bit more left.......did I say 120 - 130????? I meant " 12 - 13" Besides, at that point 120 is 120..........LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
4- Getting out of the hole is a lot quicker than any of the stupid reviews let on.......most say the difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is a full second......not buying it.....LOL
5- tail end got out "unexpectedly" taking a curve on an on-ramp and pulled it back together with minimal effort. 3.0 would have probably spun out due to more time to reign in the extra horses.
6- For either version, have not had this much fun driving to work in several years....Excuse my "French" female owners but "chicks love it too and most won't care if 2.0 or 3.0"
7- My insurance only went up $12 extra bucks a month on my premium for the 2.0. Didn't check the 3.0.
8 - almost forgot, no oil issues on the 2.0 that I am aware of.....

Summary: Either drivetrain will put a smile on your face. If you want your cake and eat it too.....get the 2.0. If you just want a BIGGER piece of cake, go for the 3.0.....
I test drove both versions too, but I had quite a different reaction. 2.0 just felt way too slow for me. My previous car was a Mazda speed3 and it feels far faster than the 2.0. In a straight line of course. The 3.0 is a different animal. Its acceleration is actually more violent than c7 grand sport corvette my brother had. I didnā€™t need to get to triple digits to notice the difference. It feels so much faster if you accelerate from any speed than the 4 banger.it has more than 100 hp and torque over the 2.0 lol and you feel it. Thereā€™s sound too. The six just sounds that much sweeter. But the 2.0 definitely felt a lot more nimble. Overall, 8k difference is a lot of money but if you can afford it, 3.0 is the way to go. With the adaptive suspension, it just glides on the road in comfort mode. Better than most none sports cars Iā€™ve been in.