Does Your MT Shift Knob Shake?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
My girlfriend asked why my Supra shifter shakes constantly (when the engine is on) and my Type R shifter doesn't. Embarrassingly, I didn't even notice but the Type R shifter is dead still whereas the Supra shifter has a constant rumble.

I expected my Type R shifter to be better than the Supra's (and it is) but I never thought my 15 year old 4 pot screamer would have a more refined shifting experience.

Just curious to see if this is everyone else's Supra MT experience?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I've not tried nor saw a MT Supra yet but I reckon it's the stiff transmission mount. Usually chosen to reduce the overall drivetrain movement, allows faster/better shifting. Etc..

All this is true but it really could be that the crappy BMW shift knob is loose šŸ¤£
Push it down or something see if it improves.
I belive i saw a thread of someone actually putting on threaded shifter knobs..

Somewhere here:
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/manual-supra-shift-knob-options-out-there.16152/

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Nah.. I'm talking about the small vibrations you can feel from the engine through the knob.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Nah.. I'm talking about the small vibrations you can feel from the engine through the knob.
A Honda Civic type R? If so the Supra has a shifter that's directly bolted into the trans and one a shifter bolted to the chassis and connected via a cable most likely to the trans. FWD V RWD layout.
A man needs to be able to answer these questions to the GF.

Phil

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
This is a BMW thing.

Yes, all BMW's do this.

Be more concerned about oil consumption mate LOL

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
A Honda Civic type R? If so the Supra has a shifter that's directly bolted into the trans and one a shifter bolted to the chassis and connected via a cable most likely to the trans. FWD V RWD layout.
A man needs to be able to answer these questions to the GF.

Phil
Hahahaha.. thanks.

ColonelAdama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Absolute Zero Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2015 GTI
I missed the shifter shake after driving FWD for the last decade. Used to have a Z before that. Really makes the car feel alive and way more connected to the drivetrain imo.

Turcktech

First Name
Esat
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 supra
I have seen YouTube videos some new manual owners witnessed the shifter popping out from its place. I donā€™t know how or why. I am receiving my manual supra today. I will keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I missed the shifter shake after driving FWD for the last decade. Used to have a Z before that. Really makes the car feel alive and way more connected to the drivetrain imo.
Yeah.. I don't mind it, just felt different and as it was my first rear wheel drive car, it was also unexpected.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
THIS! I love being able to FEEL the various vibrations, harmonics, and torque twist of the drivetrain through my right arm.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
@op - yes can confirm mine is the same, little vibration idling in N. If it makes sense for what it's worth, it vibrates more "side to side" (i.e. between 2nd and 6th gear position) rather than back and forth (i.e. 3rd to 4th gear axis), but it's really not much and feels normal and somehow cool, like someone else said, very mechanical/engaging and close to the powerhouse.

I tried to make a short video for you, then I realized I am a dumbass, my stupid ass hand holding the phone is vibrating simultaneously to the car/knob so couldn't see jack moving in the video...

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Now some may also understand why the moaning about "my shifter feels notchy and mechanical compared to my last manual FWD car" falls on deaf ears and with a wry smile to us "older" members. The shifter is connecting your hand directly to the gearbox internals not via some isolating cable so you can in some cases actually feel the syncros working. Having said that some transmissions have an isolator built into the stick but even then it's usually a much more direct feel than a FWD set up.
A manual connects you much more directly to what happening to the actual machine. Through the throttle, the clutch and the transmission. It's a visceral thing. Same as no matter how powerful they make an electric car it's still going to be a whitegood on wheels.

Phil

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
I have seen YouTube videos some new manual owners witnessed the shifter popping out from its place. I donā€™t know how or why. I am receiving my manual supra today. I will keep an eye on it.
It's just the knob, not the whole shifter. Apparently it's a BMW thing where the knob is held on with compression (and hope) and not threaded or locked on like most other shift knobs out there on other car makes.

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Iā€™ve not noticed this out of mine for the last 3 months.

MSport

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Sponsored