Downpipe Install Help

Mori

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 A90
Car is jacked up on the front, and on ramps. I’ve been trying to take out the stock DP for a while now but I still can’t shake it loose enough to take out.

Looking for some advice on the following:
1. I can't really bend the "clip" in this video at 5:07 -- https://youtu.be/OrLT-w_X39E?t=305
Every time I try, the clip just resets back to its original position. I noticed some videos skip this step. Is it actually necessary to do this?

2. I loosened the V-band a lot but it's still totally stuck on one side.
On the side that I can reach, there's a visible gap, and I can move it up/down a little, but I can't twist the V-band left/right at all.
It almost feels like there's something on the other side still latched onto it.
Photo for reference:
1708991973381.png

3. I assume reinstalling the new DP is the same for every brand right? I have an AMS catted DP, but I'm watching the AA video so just making sure.

4. Does anyone have an opinion on if its worth ceramic coating the inside of the DP (AMS catted)?

Here’s what I’ve done so far:
1. Unplugged + unclipped O2 sensors from the top + unclipped all the wires from their spots
2. Loosened the V-band bolt
3. Removed the bolt on the downpipe to exhaust clamp
4. Removed the exhaust hangar bolt
5. Removed the 2 nuts that hold the DP to the block

I've tried wiggling and shaking the downpipe all over the place but it's not budging at all.
Shaking it actually moves the exhaust more than the DP at this point.
I can see a bit of the DP that was previously inside the exhaust, but that's all the progress.

Any tips/advice?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R.
those v band clamps even when loose can still be a bit seized on there. take a small hammer and tap it free. Or from the bottom take a longish pry bar and medium hammer to knock it free. some pb might help if you dont mind the odor and mess it leaves behind.

OP
OP
Mori

Mori

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 A90
those v band clamps even when loose can still be a bit seized on there. take a small hammer and tap it free. Or from the bottom take a longish pry bar and medium hammer to knock it free. some pb might help if you dont mind the odor and mess it leaves behind.
give that v-band a good whack to break it free
I've been tapping it with a ratchet and flathead to get it this far.
I'll try giving it more force with a hammer.

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I've tried wiggling and shaking the downpipe all over the place but it's not budging at all.
Shaking it actually moves the exhaust more than the DP at this point.
I can see a bit of the DP that was previously inside the exhaust, but that's all the progress.

Any tips/advice?
Thanks!

You have to push the cat back exhaust from the mid-pipe section off the bottom of the downpipe first to remove the downpipe itself.

Go tighten the V-band clamp so the downpipe is secure and snug to the turbo side.
Undo the nut that is holding the mid-pipe and use your foot to kick/push against the bracket on the mid-pipe towards the rear end of your car or you can use a mallet.

Once you get the mid-pipe section of the catback off the bottom side downpipe, you can remove the downpipe by undoing the v-band

1708993787491.png

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I with everyone else on that v-band clamp. Mine was stuck on their really good and was a pain to take off. Prybar and a hammer did the trick.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I loosened the vband as much as possible so I wouldn't lose the nut on the back. From the pic- you can loosen it more. I then tapped it with a hammer and then went from the engine bay and reached down and was jiggling it around to get it loose. I then basically tried to move it so it fell down off the lip and went onto the downpipe.

Don't tighten anything down when you put the new pipe on otherwise you wont be able to get the exhaust to get fully in and sit on the hanger with the nut.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/installed-a-titan-catless-downpipe-yesterday.18810/

i3igpete

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0L 8AT
also, dont be surprised if the new DP won't slip onto the exhaust until you get it aligned up perfectly. i spent an hour just trying to get it started, seriously considered renting a pipe expander. be aggressive with it, use your whole body and legs to shove things around.

OP
OP
Mori

Mori

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 A90
Update! Got the V band off but now I can’t get it loose from the catback. Seized pretty bad; I’m going to just keep hitting it with a mallet to loosen it up
IMG_7654.jpeg

directmk

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, 1997 Porsche Boxster, 2016 Audi S6
hit that coupler with a piece of hard wood and a hammer. Use the wood to prevent damaging the metal. I had to do that to mine to free it up. Also make sure your exhaust is loose and has the freedom to move a bit when you hit it in that direction.

OP
OP
Mori

Mori

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 A90
hit that coupler with a piece of hard wood and a hammer. Use the wood to prevent damaging the metal. I had to do that to mine to free it up. Also make sure your exhaust is loose and has the freedom to move a bit when you hit it in that direction.
Update, still completely seized. Can’t make any movement whatsoever. Been hitting it with a mallet through a piece of cardboard.

Gonna go to the store to buy some Liquid Wrench or something and try that

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Get some soapy water - see if that works.

My car was new so it basically came right off.

I put some anti sieze around the inside of the exhaust and the downpipe so if I have to remove it in the future it will come right off.

Razors Edge

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Update! Got the V band off but now I can’t get it loose from the catback. Seized pretty bad; I’m going to just keep hitting it with a mallet to loosen it up
IMG_7654.jpeg
Everyone told you to take the exhaust off first. Why would you not take it off, and make your life 100 times simpler? Exhaust ALWAYS comes off first, if aftermarket, can usually just take off the pipe connected to the Downpipe, then the Downpipe.

OP
OP
Mori

Mori

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 A90
Everyone told you to take the exhaust off first. Why would you not take it off, and make your life 100 times simpler? Exhaust ALWAYS comes off first, if aftermarket, can usually just take off the pipe connected to the Downpipe, then the Downpipe.
Yeah I’m realizing this now. It’s pretty hard to lift the DP out of the exhaust.
PB Blaster seems to have helped a lot though.
Sponsored