DYNO Testing???

LMNFCTR

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
What gear (8 speed Auto) are you testing the Supra in? I realize 1:1 is the standard, but 6th gear seems awfully high (top speed wise). Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

jRuN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, 2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Just got mine dyno'd last week and they did it in 6th gear.. I think he said he saw 165mph in the dash 😬

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
It doesn't really matter as long as you know the gear ratio and input that into the dyno computer as well as final drive and wheel diameter. They typically used 1:1 ish gearbox ratio because it allows the car to take some time to build up the rpms and get higher resolution over the rev range. But since final drive varies quite a bit between cars you don't need it to be that close to 1:1, it's more important you use a long enough gear without exceeding your tire's speed limit rating. Also FYI, based on my experience, runs that take longer to build revs (aka higher gears), tend to read higher torque numbers at lower rpms especially (larger) turbod engines since it gives them more time to build up boost, this shows the absolute max you can make with the engine (but you may not see this much torque irl in lower gears).

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
It doesn't really matter as long as you know the gear ratio and input that into the dyno computer as well as final drive and wheel diameter. They typically used 1:1 ish gearbox ratio because it allows the car to take some time to build up the rpms and get higher resolution over the rev range. But since final drive varies quite a bit between cars you don't need it to be that close to 1:1, it's more important you use a long enough gear without exceeding your tire's speed limit rating. Also FYI, based on my experience, runs that take longer to build revs (aka higher gears), tend to read higher torque numbers at lower rpms especially (larger) turbod engines since it gives them more time to build up boost, this shows the absolute max you can make with the engine (but you may not see this much torque irl in lower gears).
People like you are annoying and unhelpful

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
People like you are annoying and unhelpful
What?? I'm literally informing OP as much as I could about why some tuners do what they do and how it can be flexible.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
Why? It's written perfectly fine and at a level that any car enthusiast should either already understand or be able to understand with minimal research.
Don’t know anything about dyno and I followed it. 1-5 to short. 7&8 are basically over drive.

Moorman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Car(s)
2020 Supra (RIP); 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range
I don't know anything about cars, or the methods pertaining to them. Please spoon feed me (pre-chewed) so that I might digest whatever you're saying without thought.