Everyday Drive Nismo Z vs. Darkhorse vs. Zupra

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
What I do like about the Z is that the ECUaren’t locked.

If it has adaptive suspension and exhaust it would have made it a very tough choice for me. I’ve always wanted a restomod 240z but wouldn’t be able to afford it.
Probably isn't locked because it's the same dinosaur 2009 ECU used in the 370Z.

joking... or maybe not? lol

NINaudio

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Probably isn't locked because it's the same dinosaur 2009 ECU used in the 370Z.

joking... or maybe not? lol
It's a similar ecu to the q50/q60's which it shares an engine with. They did "lock" those ECU's around THE 2020/2021 models, but that didn't take long for ECUtek to work around without needing a bench unlock. That said, the VR30 is not a great engine. Lower limits than the B58, and lots of reliability issues. I had a Q60 with 72k miles on it before I got the Supra. I was on my 2nd trans (slipping in 3rd and 4th), 2nd engine (porous block), 3rd set of turbos (bad seals), and 4th DCU (display control unit). It was by far the least reliable car I'd owned in over 20 years.

OP
OP
PikkaGTR

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
It's a similar ecu to the q50/q60's which it shares an engine with. They did "lock" those ECU's around THE 2020/2021 models, but that didn't take long for ECUtek to work around without needing a bench unlock. That said, the VR30 is not a great engine. Lower limits than the B58, and lots of reliability issues. I had a Q60 with 72k miles on it before I got the Supra. I was on my 2nd trans (slipping in 3rd and 4th), 2nd engine (porous block), 3rd set of turbos (bad seals), and 4th DCU (display control unit). It was by far the least reliable car I'd owned in over 20 years.
Don't forget the gloriously Motorsports designed bullet proof open deck block
🤣
Sponsored