Exhaust Rattling :/

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I have an APEXi catback, and on cold start I get a slight rattle from the valve. This catback uses its own type of spring/clip that mates with the actuator, the end on the exhaust side is welded, so it is not removeable. I tried stretching out the spring a little bit to try and provide more spring force with the actuator attached, and it actually did fix it for a day or two, but now it's back again. I'm trying to think of a way to compress the spring instead for that extra force..
Sponsored

theguysmiley

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, Nitro Yellow
I have an APEXi catback, and on cold start I get a slight rattle from the valve. This catback uses its own type of spring/clip that mates with the actuator, the end on the exhaust side is welded, so it is not removeable. I tried stretching out the spring a little bit to try and provide more spring force with the actuator attached, and it actually did fix it for a day or two, but now it's back again. I'm trying to think of a way to compress the spring instead for that extra force..
I have the APEXi resonated, and I also have the rattling valve issue. It's quite annoying. I eventually installed the valve in the open position, and just let it hold the valve open all the time, until I can figure something else out.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have the APEXi resonated, and I also have the rattling valve issue. It's quite annoying. I eventually installed the valve in the open position, and just let it hold the valve open all the time, until I can figure something else out.
It's a bummer since I specifically wanted to have the valve option for quieter moments. Though, I tried playing with the clip again and it's been over a week now with decent results.

I used light force to bend the clip counter-clockwise (toward the closed position). Then I wrapped a couple layers of electrical tape on the end that mates with the actuator to give it a little more thickness. Also made sure to hand tighten the three bolts with a good amount torque without overdoing it.

Now, I hear a little rattling on cold start when the engine starts at ~1300 RPM. Then when it goes down to 1000 RPM, I can't hear any rattling unless I literally stick my ear next to the valve, and even then it's very slight. Once idle drops completely there's no rattling. And when it's warmed up a bit more, I can't say I hear any rattling at low RPMs with valve closed.

IMG_20220327_130642.jpg

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium Nitro Yellow
I know this thread is old but I recently started hearing this once I installed my AA Catted Downpipe, didnā€™t have it when it was just the AWE Track Exhaust. I did have interior rattles but eliminated all of them with some ā€œingenuityā€ but this rattle that you all have is new and it only happens on cold start. It goes away after it idles down to 1k rpm and I hear it when Iā€™m stopped at a light once in a blue moon. I saw some people talking about a spacer but Iā€™m not sure which one I should get or what the real issue is. At the same time itā€™s not really a huge issue since it only does it for the first 10 seconds I start my car lol.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I should also update on my previous posts. The rattling came back and I just gave up šŸ¤£ it doesn't seem as bad as it was initially. Maybe because I just got used to it.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23ā€™ 3.0 Base
I know this thread is old but I recently started hearing this once I installed my AA Catted Downpipe, didnā€™t have it when it was just the AWE Track Exhaust. I did have interior rattles but eliminated all of them with some ā€œingenuityā€ but this rattle that you all have is new and it only happens on cold start. It goes away after it idles down to 1k rpm and I hear it when Iā€™m stopped at a light once in a blue moon. I saw some people talking about a spacer but Iā€™m not sure which one I should get or what the real issue is. At the same time itā€™s not really a huge issue since it only does it for the first 10 seconds I start my car lol.
Your awe exhaust doesnā€™t have a valveā€¦..

skyviper80

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 WRX STI, 2020 GR Supra
Turn off Cold Start Heating, it eliminated the startup rattles when I installed BoostLogic DP.

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Andrew__a90

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When I had stock exhaust I would get a little rattle on cold start, and when I did my AWE and downpipe the midpipe was resting on the brace, I had to put a spacer, and now it is better, but now because the exhaust is deep and loud, I have rattles from the interior and in the trunk area, oh well, that's what happen when you modify a car.
Hey man, I got your EXACT same setup and was wondering exactly what spacer you used to fix this issue. Once I installed the Downpipe I started hearing a rattle when I cold started the car and while it only last for a couple of seconds Iā€™d rather it not rattle at all. Thanks in advance.

ATrn

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra 3.0, 24 Camry TRD, 23 IS350
Anyone have a solution? I recently purchased a used 2020 that had a Kenji downpipe that was removed when I purchased it. I have the same rattle that seems like it comes from the right exhaust tip on cold start and goes away after 10 seconds.

vitamink

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I have the same rattle when engine/exhaust are cold, with newly installed AWE touring and AA downpipe. Made adjustments to make sure itā€™s not contacting the cross brace. It doesnā€™t seem to be contacting heat shield but not 100% sure. A friend told me pushing the heat shield up helped his.

Bug2th

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF, 1998 GSX
I had a couple banging type noises (no tingy/rattley type noises) after installing the Dinan exhaust and AA dp. Had one clamp in the back I had to turn around as the bolt was about a 1/4ā€ from the insulation and banged once in a while. Another clamp in the middle was a bit too large so when tightened all the way to was still a bit loose so added a thin piece of steel all the way around the pipe and then it clamped properly and that took care of it. I daily it but for track days I double check all the clamps and so far so good.
Sponsored