FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
this happens on my friends 997 gt3rs consantly lmao
There are quirks with any cars, imo. It’s definitely good to know if you own the manual. This Toyoto/BMW feels incredible. As more peeps track their rides, we’ll hear of more things. I just think it’s cool Toyota is joining the likes of Porsche and Mazda, endorsing the track use (abuse). Hopefully Toyota will be as cool as them when it comes to visiting the dealer with issues beyond grocery getting :cool:
Sponsored

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT
On a side note… why is it so hard getting into reverse gear?! Or am I just weak? Lmao

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I honestly have noooo idea how to explain it clearly tbh the knob is attached to an elongated pole that seats into another housing
Sorry I had to capture this piece of magic.

On a serious note I’d be so pissed off I couldn’t see straight. Paying likely $70k after dealer mark up, and taxes for a manual and the damn shifter makes me over rev my engine after the shifter comes apart in my hand. 🤦‍♂️

speaser

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91 MT SE, 2019 TRD 4runner
On a side note… why is it so hard getting into reverse gear?! Or am I just weak? Lmao
Mine has a fair amount of resistance, but not unreasonable.

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT
Mine has a fair amount of resistance, but not unreasonable.
gotcha lol i just need to get used to it. i guess i never drove bmw before and thought it was strange that reverse is to the left. I miss my type r shifter lol but this feels good too

OP
OP
kingdooksdb

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
it takes a little muscle I agree. Just treat her like the dirty sl** she is… and then when you’re done a kiss on the forehead will keep her from straying…. But back to the reverse gear yeah it’s a little stiff

OP
OP
kingdooksdb

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Sorry I had to capture this piece of magic.

On a serious note I’d be so pissed off I couldn’t see straight. Paying likely $70k after dealer mark up, and taxes for a manual and the damn shifter makes me over rev my engine after the shifter comes apart in my hand. 🤦‍♂️

I’ve been WOTing this thing since 675 milesit’ll be fine lmao

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 335i, '23 Kona N
It's more likely to happen with certain BMW shift knobs as some don't want to "click" in as well as others. The factory knob on my car never flew off like this. Ran a different BMW knob for the next 100k miles that really clicked in when you pressed down on it and it never came off once. I recently switched to one where the boot is attached to the knob and it just doesn't click in like the other 2. It's genuine BMW as well and flies off from time to time on super aggressive shifts.

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
Start the video at 1:10

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 8.04.26 PM.png
Thanks for linking to that Puppers. I see how the knob is just compression fit so makes sense how it could fly off. The manual VAG cars I've had usually have the shift knob held on in a similar way but also have a one time use retaining clip that keep them from flying off in this kind of fashion. Hopefully this is a rare occasion for MT Supra owners but I guess we'll see.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I feel like yall aren't allowed to have nice things anymore 😂

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Haven't experienced this with my 2021 A91. Guess i'm lucky?

Surprised no one has said this yet. 🤣 In all seriousness, seems to be a common thing with BMW, has there been a recall for other BMW's? If not, there may not be any recall in general. One of the few times where i'll say to make sure there is no lube on the stick. (ba dum, dum!)

OP
OP
kingdooksdb

kingdooksdb

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Haven't experienced this with my 2021 A91. Guess i'm lucky?

Surprised no one has said this yet. 🤣 In all seriousness, seems to be a common thing with BMW, has there been a recall for other BMW's? If not, there may not be any recall in general. One of the few times where i'll say to make sure there is no lube on the stick. (ba dum, dum!)
I mean I just got nervous because if that shit were to happen in my WRX just says that a lot of problems lie ahead

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I mean I just got nervous because if that shit were to happen in my WRX just says that a lot of problems lie ahead
I'm used to threaded knobs so i can imagine if this were to happen, how crazy i would go over this. Especially expecting a more "premium" interior. I feel it. The joke was mainly that the early A91's were auto and we definitely don't have this issue (that i know of or experienced).

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
Like my Audi, most BMWs use an one-time use Oetiker clamp to fasten the shift knob to the shift lever.
Sponsored