Forge Catch Can

AlRayes_BRN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90
I misspoke.. we tried to reverse this valve however it wouldn't align properly.
The purpose of a CCV is to vent crankcase pressure and this valve is 100% not allowing that to happen.
So did you put the valve back? Or are you testing the car without it?
Sponsored

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
So did you put the valve back? Or are you testing the car without it?
Still testing without the valve.. seems to be working okay? Maybe slightly more oil is in the catch can then should be there but noticeably less in the charge pipe.

My next test is to reinstall the valve and eliminate all pcv/ccv hoses with breathers.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Blood, going oleā€™school? Back in the day, throw the PCV in the trash, plug the inlet under the carb, and put a breather cap onthe valve cover!
Iā€™m assuming u canā€™t do that with this motor?

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
Blood, going oleā€™school? Back in the day, throw the PCV in the trash, plug the inlet under the carb, and put a breather cap onthe valve cover!
Iā€™m assuming u canā€™t do that with this motor?
Other than plugging up the carb, I'm going to give it a try lol.
As long as the car remains happy, I'll do whatever it takes to keep oil out of the charge pipe.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Rock and blues, problem solved??
Please explain.....oil in charge pipe
And intake, UNEXCEPTABLE!!!
What was BMW engineering
Smokinā€™ !!!!

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Rock and blues, problem solved??
Please explain.....oil in charge pipe
And intake, UNEXCEPTABLE!!!
What was BMW engineering
Smokinā€™ !!!!
well,

1- A top tuner that i am going to use in the spring (he did a small thing for me last week) says catch cans are unnecessary. He had a shop full of 600-1000 hp Supras and said meh. He was VERY patient with my new to the Supra platform questions.

2- WMI cleans the intake and solves the walnut blasting BMW thing every 40k miles. So kind of makes catch can superfluous.

For ME, catch can is way down the list of what i am worried about. I plan WMI in the spring. And am getting ready to put Supra to sleep for the winter anyway.

I am interested and following to see what the group thinks and comes up with.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
well,

1- A top tuner that i am going to use in the spring (he did a small thing for me last week) says catch cans are unnecessary. He had a shop full of 600-1000 hp Supras and said meh. He was VERY patient with my new to the Supra platform questions.

2- WMI cleans the intake and solves the walnut blasting BMW thing every 40k miles. So kind of makes catch can superfluous.

For ME, catch can is way down the list of what i am worried about. I plan WMI in the spring. And am getting ready to put Supra to sleep for the winter anyway.

you should clarify for those less savvy that it is not that wmi stops the oil, it just cleans the valves so you dont get the carbon buildup. The car will still send the contaminated air into the cylinders So if your concern is buildup on the valves then wmi, if your concern is sending contaminated air through the system wmi isnt going to help you. I suspect some people do not know what you mean by wmi.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
RK Tunes or someone local to you?

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
well,

Shop full of 600-1000hp? You have to be referring to MK4's.. so unless you're running an aftermarket billet intake, there's no way someone's blasting walnut shells into my factory plastic one with built-in intercooler.

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Shop full of 600-1000hp? You have to be referring to MK4's.. so unless you're running an aftermarket billet intake, there's no way someone's blasting walnut shells into my factory plastic one with built-in intercooler.
ok that is not the process. What they do when walnut blasting is to remove the intake and gain access to the back of the valves. They blast walnut shells at the back of the valves cleaning up the mess right before the cylinders. They dont blast the intercooler or anything. You still have oil in the system when they finish, they only remove the crud from the valve stems.

the biggest risk is to ensure all the shells are sucked out so none make it into the cylinder. the disassembly of the top of the engine and the skill involved is why it costs a couple of grand. People also try to use the spray cleaner but that does not really work.

i recommend youtubing some walnut blasting operations.

OP
OP
Snorlax27

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Removing charge pipe and intake pipe two weeks ago they were all soaked with oil.. Cleaned everything and put it back on. Noticed all oil was coming from the CCV line connected to the intake pipe..

Noticed oil building up again at the end of charge pipes..

Forge catch can which connects to the PCV was not collecting any of the mentioned oil.. Mostly vapors and not oil.

Decided to install Mishimoto Catch can back on yesterday.. Why it did not collect any oil last time I have no clue..

Will update here again.. Car now has Forge & Mshimoto catch cans on

Their design of going after the CCV should be 100% effective at least in my case (Most oil from there), will see how it goes
Thanks for taking the time to do all this moe, we appreciate it!

If indeed a majority comes from the PCV side, I might reconsider the Mishi can.

Bflood

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
ok that is not the process. What they do when walnut blasting is to remove the intake and gain access to the back of the valves. They blast walnut shells at the back of the valves cleaning up the mess right before the cylinders. They dont blast the intercooler or anything. You still have oil in the system when they finish, they only remove the crud from the valve stems.

the biggest risk is to ensure all the shells are sucked out so none make it into the cylinder. the disassembly of the top of the engine and the skill involved is why it costs a couple of grand. People also try to use the spray cleaner but that does not really work.

i recommend youtubing some walnut blasting operations.
That makes more sense.. I think rocksandblues is speaking of a problem that is typical with all TDI engines and is unaware of the excessive amount of blow-by this specific car has under high boost. This is why I asked what his turbo setup was. If he's stock then clearly he's speaking about something else. I'm looking for ways to reduce the amount of oil pulled through the charge pipe altogether.
Anyone concerned with valve buildup I would recommend they pick up a meth kit and forget about it.

Jesse DaBears

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Tungsten Supra 3.0 Premium
Removing charge pipe and intake pipe two weeks ago they were all soaked with oil.. Cleaned everything and put it back on. Noticed all oil was coming from the CCV line connected to the intake pipe..

Noticed oil building up again at the end of charge pipes..

Forge catch can which connects to the PCV was not collecting any of the mentioned oil.. Mostly vapors and not oil.

Decided to install Mishimoto Catch can back on yesterday.. Why it did not collect any oil last time I have no clue..

Will update here again.. Car now has Forge & Mshimoto catch cans on

Their design of going after the CCV should be 100% effective at least in my case (Most oil from there), will see how it goes

Have you checked the can recently? Hows is going? Experiencing some blow by and think the mishi is going to be my best bet.
Sponsored