Front plate placement / Let's see those personalized License plates

halfmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus rx350
I've never heard of this but I came across it last night and thought I would share. Apparently it's legal in CA and I guess it's a big discussion group on the Tesla forums. Check out licenseplatewrap.com. Apparently, it's basically a printed "wrap" version of your license plate that's legal and recognized in CA as long as you purchase through this company on a "pilot" program basis.

The front bumper design of the Supra doesn't really lend itself to looking good with a large US license plate no matter where you put it; whether in the middle as it's designed to go or off to the left using the tow hook space.

This could be an option where you have to use a front plate but don't want to have it mounted. I guess you could place it right on the nose. I'm not saying that this will look good because I think a large license plate size sticker right on the front and tip of the nose will look silly but maybe it could be the lesser of two evils. Either use the mounting bracket for the center or use this vinyl wrap....or use the tow hook method....or just not even use a front plate and roll the dice.

I think I would have to roll the dice because I'm not really into any of these "solutions." It just sucks because I'm planning on getting the car in red and obviously that stands out more and attracts more attention from the cops. Plus, I want to get the car tinted. I would most likely do 40% or 35% on the rear window and 50% on the side windows. Not extremely dark but when you factor in a red car with no front plates, I know that I'm running some bad odds with the cops.
Sponsored

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I've never heard of this but I came across it last night and thought I would share. Apparently it's legal in CA and I guess it's a big discussion group on the Tesla forums. Check out licenseplatewrap.com. Apparently, it's basically a printed "wrap" version of your license plate that's legal and recognized in CA as long as you purchase through this company on a "pilot" program basis.

The front bumper design of the Supra doesn't really lend itself to looking good with a large US license plate no matter where you put it; whether in the middle as it's designed to go or off to the left using the tow hook space.

This could be an option where you have to use a front plate but don't want to have it mounted. I guess you could place it right on the nose. I'm not saying that this will look good because I think a large license plate size sticker right on the front and tip of the nose will look silly but maybe it could be the lesser of two evils. Either use the mounting bracket for the center or use this vinyl wrap....or use the tow hook method....or just not even use a front plate and roll the dice.

I think I would have to roll the dice because I'm not really into any of these "solutions." It just sucks because I'm planning on getting the car in red and obviously that stands out more and attracts more attention from the cops. Plus, I want to get the car tinted. I would most likely do 40% or 35% on the rear window and 50% on the side windows. Not extremely dark but when you factor in a red car with no front plates, I know that I'm running some bad odds with the cops.
i will roll the dice also 4 years driving in Cali (SD) without a front licence plate never pulled over once.

secret drive fast enough so the only chance they get is to see the behind...jk

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
i will roll the dice also 4 years driving in Cali (SD) without a front licence plate never pulled over once.

secret drive fast enough so the only chance they get is to see the behind...jk
I don’t think I’ve ever run one on my sportier cars and I have never been bothered at all.

Last edited:

tedan628

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Sti, 2005 Forester XT
ZIP TIE!!! i am gonna tell my dealership NOT TO PUNCH HOLES IN MY CAR

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 3.0 MT
is it just me or this thing actually looks whole lot better with a plate?
I think it looks fine. My brain expects to see a plate on the car so I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw one driving down the road. The only plates that attract my attention are poorly hung or off center (which seem to be increasingly more common these days).

It would be nice to see a different angle to see the 'overhang' on the plate tho.

Bruins71

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, Highlander,Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
I think it looks fine. My brain expects to see a plate on the car so I wouldn't give it a second thought if I saw one driving down the road. The only plates that attract my attention are poorly hung or off center (which seem to be increasingly more common these days).

It would be nice to see a different angle to see the 'overhang' on the plate tho.
I think it looks fine -(sad about a plate on a sports car) these are what I call first world problems!

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
It's you. I don't like the look. It looks like Hitler mustache. I hope my dealer will allow me to move it to the tow hook.
Was thinking the same thing. Dont need something else to remind how German it is.

SuperNova

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Ford GT, 2016 Golf R
So, according to RealOEM (Part number 7 on that page) that tiny little cutout in the right hand fake "vent" is a tow-hook cover, meaning it should be trivial to do a side-tow-hook mount and avoid the buck-tooth look. It also should avoid blocking any major air flow or interfering with the front sensors provided I have my scaling correct (I compared it with some BRZ/FRS front plates and just eye-balled it).

Doing a quick mock-up I don't think it looks too bad, especially in comparison to the putting it in the middle, and is very likely what I'll be going with.

ipeBVRr.png
I'm having trouble with the RealOEM link - it's kicking me back to the home page and I can't seem to find the right path to drill down. I'm going to be taking delivery very soon, and would like to get a hold of the specs of the tow-hook and potentially fabricate a bracket to work here.

Has anyone found a system that works, potentially a BMW plate holder like this? I'm about to roll the dice on this methinks:

https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-platypus-license-plate-mount-for-2019-bmw-z4/

Turbro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Strat 3.0 MT, 94 Supra TT 6Spd
Its illegal here to not run a front plate, but Ive never run one... They really like to fine you if you park on the city street when you are not looking, but if you stick to parking garages which is private parking they cant ticket your car. Ive never been pulled by state police either and if I was, its a $35 ticket... So id rather just pay it instead of drilling holes in the bumper.
Sponsored