Front rotors and pads need replacement at 25k mi? Wondering if other people have used up their rotors that quickly

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 3.0
The car has been driven 50% city / 50% highway, with a few hard backroads drives and one drift event.
The brakes started to squeal, so I figured pads needed replacing.

And then I somehow damaged the wheelspin sensor (I think from tire cords that wrapped around the back of the rotor and constricted on the sensor).

"Rear differential lock reduced"
"Chassis stabilization"
"Parking brake malfunction"

Car goes into limp mode. Short shifts to 5th gear and barely accelerates.

Dealer diagnosed - front pads and rotors need to be replaced, wheelspin sensor damaged and needs replacement.

Wondering if anyone else has had something similar happen. And if 25k mi on rotors possible or is there an issue of excessive wear?
Sponsored

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46
These cars have an electric brake wear sensor, not your traditional mechnical wear indicator that squeals. Your pad life could very well be ok, but since you told the dealer theyre noisy, theyre going to quote you pads and rotors.

did they tell you the pad thickness?

OP
OP

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 3.0
OK, that's why I was confused that I didn't get any brake service light...
They said the pad is down to 2mm though, so shouldn't the car have given a warning?

The dealer wanted $2k for replacing front rotors/pads and the wheel spin sensor :rofl:

I took the car to my mechanic and he said rotors are still usable, just the pads need replacing. When I looked at the rotors, they looked fine. there's no cracks or warping, no material/rust build up, car brakes smoothly.

RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
They said the pad is down to 2mm though, so shouldn't the car have given a warning?

The dealer wanted $2k for replacing front rotors/pads and the wheel spin sensor :rofl:

I took the car to my mechanic and he said rotors are still usable, just the pads need replacing. When I looked at the rotors, they looked fine. there's no cracks or warping, no material/rust build up, car brakes smoothly.
even by NY or California Standards, $2K sounds like a ripoff.

id ask to see (or look up yourself) what Pads and Rotor costs from Toyota are. Even if they come out of $1K (doubtful), $1K labor, eve at $200 per hour, is ludicrous

OP
OP

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 3.0
even by NY or California Standards, $2K sounds like a ripoff.

id ask to see (or look up yourself) what Pads and Rotor costs from Toyota are. Even if they come out of $1K (doubtful), $1K labor, eve at $200 per hour, is ludicrous
$650 for front rotors and $110 for front brake pads.
$90 for wheel spin sensor

Parts total cost: $850
Dealer Labor charge: $1150 at $150/hr labor, that's 7h40m labor being billed...... for something that will take 2-3 hours tops

Oh and they are charging $320 diagnostic fee (2x normal) because "Supra needs more time to diagnose"....

So yeah ludicrous is right lol.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Do the pads yourself, there easy , as long as rotors are within spec. Rotors at 25k miles should be fine
To be certain use a dial gauge to check
PS your name says it all, you are getting “Wacked”😜. Just bought a set of EBC Reds
Front and rears were less then $400

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
That actually seems quite reasonable for the parts... but WTF on that labor? No way a qualified shop should require close to 8 hours to do all 4 wheels - including quite a few smoke breaks in between each - let alone just 2 wheels!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
$650 for front rotors and $110 for front brake pads.
$90 for wheel spin sensor

Parts total cost: $850
Dealer Labor charge: $1150 at $150/hr labor, that's 7h40m labor being billed...... for something that will take 2-3 hours tops

Oh and they are charging $320 diagnostic fee (2x normal) because "Supra needs more time to diagnose"....

So yeah ludicrous is right lol.
I just bought OEM front rotors for $182 each. MSRP is $289 each

Fronts

https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-...-right-34108858706?c=cT0zNC0xMS02LTg2MC05MTI=
https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/bmw-disc-brake-rotor-left-34116860911

Rears
https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-...r-rear-34208853554?c=cT0zNC0yMS02LTg2MC05MjU=

That labor is crazy.

Just buy them yourself and have a indy shop do it.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
$110 is extremely low for an OEM front pad set. MSRP for the pad set is $325. DM me your VIN so I can check on that. Front rotors should be about $294 each as well...

sup.dc2

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk5mt. DC2. T4R. e46

2mm should have set a message but i have seen cars wear down pads unevenly quite often. With modern day traction control and ABS (individual braking) between each wheel you could have a pad at at 2mm, and the pad that seats the sensor be at 4-5mm. the 2mm is the ofcourse the measurement the customer gets because it's the one you need to know about.

I'm a technician at Mercedes Benz at a california dealer. We charge about $2k for a set of pads and rotors on pretty much anything larger than our entry level GLA CLA A-class, not even including a wheel speed sensor. I'd say about another $700 give or take if you yanked the sensor in half. So the estimate you received isn't outrageous to me. Remember your driving a Toyota but repairing a BMW lol.

But as stated before if you can deal with the noise from the rotors and they are within spec, just replace the pads and maybe even the sensor yourself and just live with the noise. Maybe someone on the Toyota side can confirm but a wheel sensor for me has always been plug and play with no calibration required.

OP
OP

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 3.0
I'm a technician at Mercedes Benz at a california dealer. We charge about $2k for a set of pads and rotors on pretty much anything larger than our entry level GLA CLA A-class, not even including a wheel speed sensor. I'd say about another $700 give or take if you yanked the sensor in half. So the estimate you received isn't outrageous to me. Remember your driving a Toyota but repairing a BMW lol.
Ooooof. Well, at least I know it's a normal dealer price lol. I was hoping that it would be a bit cheaper with Toyota labor rates, but it seems like they pad the bills for the Supra, so that they end up being in line with BMW rates anyway

I haven't gotten the bill from my mechanic yet, but since they're only doing pads and the sensor, it shouldn't be more than $500-600.

This is a wakeup call though :p It's been on my mind to start wrenching on the car myself. I've been collecting the tools needed over the past few weeks. It's a bit of a pain since I live in NYC and I don't have a driveway, but it'll be worth it when it comes time to replace the rotors.

At this point, I have:
1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" dr locking flex head ratchets with sockets
3/8" dr breaker bar
1/2" dr impact wrench with impact sockets, and non-marring impact socket for lug bolts
Low profile Jack with BMW puck adapter
Jack stands with BMW adapters
Torx allen key set

I will need to get a oil drain pan... besides specialized sockets, anything major I'm missing for regular maintenance? Oil change, spark plugs, rotors/pads, brake fluid

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
You live in nyc and have no driveway, so you park Supra in the street?

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Not my problem, personally I wouldn’t keep any high end vehicle, on any public street ,anywhere!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Not my problem, personally I wouldn’t keep any high end vehicle, on any public street ,anywhere!
Good thing they're right in the middle of road as far as low/medium/high end goes.
Sponsored