Got my first flat tire on the highway in the rain last night...

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Learned some things:
  • Slow down when you hear 'thump thump thump thump...' (Could've made it home with the bolt if I limped it)
  • Not having a spare sucks
  • Having road assistance is great if you don't mind the wait
  • (Next morning) Oh wait, no jack either. Car is too low for standard jacks, need a lowered car jack
How's your Thursday?

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6757.jpg

IMG_6758.jpg
Sponsored

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I doubt it was a fast leak. Never ignore the tire sensor. Happened to me once and I was stopping g at every other gas station to fill up on air until I got to a place to patch it.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
I doubt it was a fast leak. Never ignore the tire sensor. Happened to me once and I was stopping g at every other gas station to fill up on air until I got to a place to patch it.
Fast leak after screw popped out. Went from 42 to 4 in about 30 secs. Tire is getting patched and plugged now.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I thought our cars came with a plug kit? Should be next to the compressor in the cubby.
Yeah mine came with a plug kit and 12V compressor in the trunk so you could plug and re-inflate a tire on the side of the road by yourself.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Yeah mine came with a plug kit and 12V compressor in the trunk so you could plug and re-inflate a tire on the side of the road by yourself.
Saw that but with the hole the screw left, had to be plugged from the inside.

Added the screw I pulled out of the firewall for reference. Unfortunately, didnā€™t take a pic of the hole in the tire before they took it back.

1913006B-A72F-408F-BFF7-D42BA5304ABA.jpeg

Last edited:

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46

Added the screw I pulled out of the firewall for reference. Unfortunately, didnā€™t take a pic of the hole in the tire before they took it back.

isnā€™t that one of the screws that secures the wheel well liner ? How could that have punctured the tire If it was still halfway in? (From your first set of pics)

glad you are safe. I once had a flat tire, didnā€™t notice it till I drove like 300m, and the sensors decided to do their job and alert me. that tpms can be really slow to refresh

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
isnā€™t that one of the screws that secures the wheel well liner ? How could that have punctured the tire If it was still halfway in? (From your first set of pics)
Check the initial pics, you see it sticking in the wheelwell liner (it made a new hole). That was in my tire for a while and after a while it shot out after a mile or so. I slowed down to around 50 but that wasnā€™t slow enough when you have a screw that big in your tire.

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
Check the initial pics, you see it sticking in the wheelwell liner (it made a new hole). That was in my tire for a while and after a while it shot out after a mile or so. I slowed down to around 50 but that wasnā€™t slow enough when you have a screw that big in your tire.
damn, so it was dangling after it lodged itself in the liner?! with that washer, it probably had no way for a good enough seal to get a slow leak

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

So, did the screw fell from the wheel well screws or just random screw on the road that very much resembles the wheel well screw.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Love all the people questioning you. Bro, are you SURE you got a flat?

lol
lol I know right, I feel I should take a pic of the plug and how big it is with a big red circle around it with some Will Smith hands šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
So, did the screw fell from the wheel well screws or just random screw on the road that very much resembles the wheel well screw.
I rode over the screw, if you look close enough, itā€™s not from our car, I even did a check when I pulled the wheel and all were accounted for. I just picked up an extra one along the way. šŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem

glad you are safe. I once had a flat tire, didnā€™t notice it till I drove like 300m, and the sensors decided to do their job and alert me. that tpms can be really slow to refresh
Its someoneā€™s, but not one of ours.

All I felt for a while was a steady ā€œthumpā€ but it was subtle so I thought I picked up some debris in the tire tread. I stopped when I first heard it, checked the tire pressure and the rears were at 42 psi. It wasnā€™t until I got back on the road and it finally dislodged and I heard the ā€œbangā€ in the rear. And then the tire sensor came on and it told me to safely pull over.

Iā€™m thinking that if it wasnā€™t raining, and I didnā€™t rush, I couldā€™ve limped home but stupid meā€¦
Sponsored