Have a look at the Prototype Supra's engine

Leeky

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 SemiAuto, Mercedes-Benz ML55, Toyota Aygo X-Press X-Drive
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that doesnt want an Iron Block?

Id rather have an alloy/aluminium block and less weight over the front axel.

I recently drove a friends MK4 after being out of Supra’s for around 10years. I forgot how nose heavy the 2jz makes the car.

I’d be quite happy with a derivative of the B58 made as light as possible. Im not sure I really ever need anything more than 500bhp tops anyway.
Sponsored

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Am I the only one that doesnt want an Iron Block?

Id rather have an alloy/aluminium block and less weight over the front axel.

I recently drove a friends MK4 after being out of Supra’s for around 10years. I forgot how nose heavy the 2jz makes the car.

I’d be quite happy with a derivative of the B58 made as light as possible. Im not sure I really ever need anything more than 500bhp tops anyway.
No youre not alone

I don't see 99% of owners getting to a point where an iron block is necessary considering the strength of the bmw inline 6s already

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
No youre not alone

I don't see 99% of owners getting to a point where an iron block is necessary considering the strength of the bmw inline 6s already
Just to elaborate on this further, it wasn't just an iron version of the B58. It was a significantly different motor that also happened to be iron (specifically CGI from what I was told). Weight penalty was supposedly minimal, but block strength and harmonic damping were much higher. The head was also some sort of high flow unit with "Toyota tech", whatever that means.

I don't think the reason for the new motor development was strength necessarily, but to fix the numerous grievances that Toyota had with the existing BMW offerings while also being very strong and more reliable.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Thank you for your honesty Guff. This is why I was ignoring all of the insider information, because there is zero indication to any of those rumors coming out of Toyota, not even a wink.

A lot of people were getting excited and taking your words as facts, this is why I didn’t want to buy into it. You are doubting your own rumors which means it was very much just hopeful thinking. I really hope what you were told will become reality.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
I cant fault your logic, but like a lot of people I just hate BMW’s.

I love the Toyota brand and how they do things. Id actually honestly be willing to pay more for the same car with Toyota badges.

And besides, maybe I want a coupe and not a roadster. But there is also the imagine you want to give out.

I cant speak for the rest of the world but here in the UK when someone tells you they own a BMW you kinda instantly judge them as being a bit unoriginal and douchey.

And to be fair on the flip side when you tell people you drive a Toyota they usually assume its something crap like a Corolla or a Prius, but 9 times out of 10 when you tell them “Actually I own a Celica/MR2/Supra etc” they are like “Oh wow, I used to have one of those. It was awesome!”

About 10 years ago I bought an E46 330i to see what the fuss was about. It was without a doubt the worst car i’ve ever owned and has put me off BMW’s for life.

So I’m actually hoping the Supra doesn’t get built in Austria with BMW parts and instead gets made in Japan (or at least a Toyota Factory) using parts perhaps just designed with BMW (Not ideal, but I could live with that).

I really would love a new Supra as my next car as i’ve already had a MK2 and three MK4’s, but if the DNA is more BMW than Toyota i’ll be sticking with my 86 and buying a supercharger instead.
I do understand why people love their favorite brand. But I will never understand why people “hate” a cars brand. Making a bad experience can be the reason to be more critical or don’t like a brand. But hate? I had one very good and one very bad expressions with Toyota, but still like this brand.
I had three bad experiences with Mazda, but still like the brand.
I had two very good expressions with BMWs and yes, I really like BMW.
Could go on like that with Suzuki, Volvo, VW, Mercedes Benz ... whatever.

One other point: You say people in UK do put you in a drawer when they hear what kind of car you drive. I think there are people all over the world doing that. But isn’t it very very stupid? I am who I am, doesn’t matter what car I drive.

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
Could it not be that this iron block motor developed by Toyota is exactly what we're seeing under that hood? And that it's been designed to work with as many parts from BMW engines as possible so as to reduce overall costs thereby somewhat resembling the B58? To be fair, it would be insanely heavy on costs if they designed every external component outside of the long block from scratch. Maybe this new motor was designed from the start to be as close to the B58 as possible hence why even bmw is considering it for the Z4.
I really hope this is the case, and that what we’ve seen at Goodwood is indeed the ‘new’ and refined B58 to Toyota spec. I can’t see Toyota developing an all new motor or sucessor to the JZ in total secrecy, and not have it be available upon its initial release. I mean if this is the case, why even partner with BMW if this was the plan all along?

I have no problem with a B58, as long as Toyota has had their way with it first. However, I will have a problem if we’re just getting a straight B58 when it first comes out, and Toyota releases their new motor later on down the road. If this is the route that Toyota ends up taking, then I wonder why they couldn’t have waited a few more years to fully develop this new motor, and then release the Supra? Shit, we’ve been waiting how long for his damn thing? What’s another year or two lol.

Eh, this is all speculation. But it’s all we have until we get something solid.

/rant

Reactions: BRX

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your honesty Guff. This is why I was ignoring all of the insider information, because there is zero indication to any of those rumors coming out of Toyota, not even a wink.

A lot of people were getting excited and taking your words as facts, this is why I didn’t want to buy into it. You are doubting your own rumors which means it was very much just hopeful thinking. I really hope what you were told will become reality.
Of course, I don't want people to be led on by the information we are given and pass on to the forums. We speak to a handful of people on this project, among hundreds and hundreds that work on and ultimately shape what this car becomes. Now, through the many years that myself and many others worked with the members of the 86 project, we formed relationships with engineers, PR, test drivers, consultants, etc etc, and it's those same people that we've been discussing the Supra with. And while I am confident that nobody has any motivation to lie to us, I also understand that many changes are made internally without that information ever reaching us.

We have been, and will continue to be, just observers of this development process. Peeking through the small keyhole that Toyota/BMW has left open for us, constantly trying to widen it, sometimes to no avail.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
If folks don't want rumors or information, then I can certainly refrain from such.
WHAT?! Life would be meaningless without Supra rumors.