High turnover on MKV Supras?

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
Yes, I have done my own changes as well. but only have about 4700 miles on mine and bought it a year ago, Jan. I don't get it. They raved about how tunable it was, how it could take some modifications and then they lock it. Has there been an official or know reason of why?
Some have discussed it could be due with locking down some of the safety technologies for legal and security reasons. I think that is a good guess but probably only part of the story. Any proprietary computer systems like we have in cars today have some level of encryption - this always gets improved over time. What Bosche has done with the newer models is certainly conflicts with what the car enthusiast community wants to see, and probably even the folks at Toyota behind the Supra, but their hands are tied.
Sponsored

MrChantz

First Name
Chantz
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitely agree it's a sellers market right now. I recently sold my toy (2009 Viper ACR) to take advantage of the market too, so I can understand that POV.

I saw another post here a few days back where another supra owner (@whozaka) was comparing his supra to his previous 2006 Viper and I thought that was interesting.

It's interesting to me that several of you bring up the Porsches. I've been debating holding out for a reasonably priced GT4 or going with the Supra. The Porsche market (along with other used cars) is ridiculous right now.

I've always owned m/t sports cars, and I enjoy the driver engagement of a m/t. From what I've heard, however, the ZF8 transmission in the Supra is great. Unfortunately, in my area (DFW, TX), none of the Toyota dealers will allow a test drive for me to decide if I would enjoy the Supra or "get bored" with the automatic/paddle shift.
Toyota of Plano let me test drive then before I purchased back in April. You should try there.

OneTimeAccount

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Turbulance Gray
Thanks everyone for your responses! I definitely agree it's a sellers market right now. I recently sold my toy (2009 Viper ACR) to take advantage of the market too, so I can understand that POV.

I saw another post here a few days back where another supra owner (@whozaka) was comparing his supra to his previous 2006 Viper and I thought that was interesting.

It's interesting to me that several of you bring up the Porsches. I've been debating holding out for a reasonably priced GT4 or going with the Supra. The Porsche market (along with other used cars) is ridiculous right now.

I've always owned m/t sports cars, and I enjoy the driver engagement of a m/t. From what I've heard, however, the ZF8 transmission in the Supra is great. Unfortunately, in my area (DFW, TX), none of the Toyota dealers will allow a test drive for me to decide if I would enjoy the Supra or "get bored" with the automatic/paddle shift.
The ZF8 is great, and that's coming from someone who just traded a PDK equipped 718 Cayman for the Supra! While the ZF8 is great, the PDK was better. I don't think anyone could disagree. Shifts never once let me down, never a blip of hesitation or delay. Never. Crazy how rock solid it felt.

People do compare this to Porsche's a lot. Made it hard for me to let go of mine. I really like my Supra and plan on modding it to make it as quick s a GT4 on track, and I would've held out for a GT4 but as you've seen their prices are ridiculous at the moment. I miss the 718's rawness, rigid chassis, and feedback it provided. Wasn't as quiet inside or refined feeling as my Supra and not as good of a daily, but more "fun" to toss around on daily drives because it was like a little go-kart. Only thing I wanted more of from the car was top-end power. I had the 2.0L "base" model.

Dungslinger

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I am new to the Supra but life is about to change big with a cross country move requiring me to tow behind my truck. I have been going back and forth on selling it. Itā€™s a 2021 with a 20-03-14 ECU date, so I am thinking of keeping it. The downside issue is finding the aftermarket parts I want without a 2 month wait.

slytherx

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, 22 F250 KingRanch Tremor, 22 GX460
I am getting rid of my 2021 Supra 3.0 premium in phantom matte tomorrow. I bought it new in April of 2021 and it's got 4,500 miles. My reasons for getting rid of it are below, but I don't want people to think I just hate the car or something- that's absolutely not the case. This is, in part, a therapeutic post for me - lol.

Primary reason:
  • Car is burning a quart of oil every 1,000-1,500 miles and increases the likelihood of issues down the road. This isn't a problem on the 2020 models.
  • No one at Toyota dealerships really knows how to work on the Supra; they have 1-2 mechanics per shop who get a 3 day crash course on the BMW vehicle. This can make scheduling difficult and still leaves you with a person who seldom works on this brand of car.
  • They supposedly have a TSB arriving soon, however I'm not interested in having my brand new car's engine get opened up, period, let alone by people who only have academic knowledge of working on the vehicle.
  • It's already been a problem getting someone to work on the Supra at multiple Toyota dealers for me. It's going to be far worse when production ends in a few years. I can't imagine trying to get someone at Toyota work on this 10 years from now if this was a vehicle I planned to keep long term, let alone them continuing to pay for special training for 1-2 techs to rarely work on one.

Other reasons and perhaps coping/justification for getting rid of it:
  • I've always been a V8 guy and this was my first 6 cyl sportscar. I miss the rumbling sound and bucking of a cammed V8.
  • The car looks less unique and more like a Z4 to me the longer I own it. The fake vents are starting to annoy me, especially as they chalk and dry out from the sun between me having to recondition them.
  • The car rides a bit stiff, even in comfort mode, which is of course the nature of the beast. I think it's particularly tough for the pothole ridden Northeastern US roads.
  • While I have ample interior space at 6'2, the car is still small and does feel like a deathtrap. This past Thanksgiving me and my wife got t-boned by a drunk driver in our F150 and it got me thinking whether or not I'd have been alive had this happened in the Supra (no).
  • The normal headlights don't give great vision distance at night time, which can be frustrating or even scary if you are driving at highway speeds on a road you are unfamiliar with.
  • My wife hates riding in the car as a passenger and hates driving it, lol
  • The tuner's car is still basically untuneable over a year later and the oil issues it's having made me not want to mod it anyway.

I will miss my Supra for sure though. It has great acceleration and handling, it frequently turned heads and the interior was probably the best of any sportscar I've owned.

Last edited:

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I am getting rid of my 2021 Supra 3.0 premium in phantom matte tomorrow. I bought it new in April of 2021 and it's got 4,500 miles. My reasons for getting rid of it are below, but I don't want people to think I just hate the car or something- that's absolutely not the case. This is, in part, a therapeutic post for me - lol.

Primary reason:
  • Car is burning a quart of oil every 1,000-1,500 miles and increases the likelihood of issues down the road. This isn't a problem on the 2020 models.
  • No one at Toyota dealerships really knows how to work on the Supra; they have 1-2 mechanics per shop who get a 3 day crash course on the BMW vehicle. This can make scheduling difficult and still leaves you with a person who seldom works on this brand of car.
  • They supposedly have a TSB arriving soon, however I'm not interested in having my brand new car's engine get opened up, period, let alone by people who only have academic knowledge of working on the vehicle.
  • It's already been a problem getting someone to work on the Supra at multiple Toyota dealers for me. It's going to be far worse when production ends in a few years. I can't imagine trying to get someone at Toyota work on this 10 years from now if this was a vehicle I planned to keep long term, let alone them continuing to pay for special training for 1-2 techs to rarely work on one.

• I've always been a V8 guy and this was my first V6 sportscar. I miss the rumbling sound and bucking of a cammed V8.
  • The car looks less unique and more like a Z4 to me the longer I own it. The fake vents are starting to annoy me, especially as they chalk and dry out from the sun between me having to recondition them.
  • The car rides a bit stiff, even in comfort mode, which is of course the nature of the beast. I think it's particularly tough for the pothole ridden Northeastern US roads.
  • While I have ample interior space at 6'2, the car is still small and does feel like a deathtrap. This past Thanksgiving me and my wife got t-boned by a drunk driver in our F150 and it got me thinking whether or not I'd have been alive had this happened in the Supra (no).
  • The normal headlights don't give great vision distance at night time, which can be frustrating or even scary if you are driving at highway speeds on a road you are unfamiliar with.
  • The tuner's car is still basically untuneable over a year later and the oil issues it's having made me not want to mod it anyway.

I will miss my Supra for sure though. It has great acceleration and handling, it frequently turned heads and the interior was probably the best of any sportscar I've owned.
LOL. be sure and put all that in the ad when you sell it. Just label it, Want to buy a death trap? Here you are. :^)

And to me, it looks nothing like the BMW.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Primary reason:

• I've always been a V8 guy and this was my first V6 sportscar. I miss the rumbling sound and bucking of a cammed V8.

I bought mine same time as you and mine only has 800 miles on it lol

Im planning on keeping mine a long time and will eventually just take it to a BMW shop.

Do you have more info on the TSB /recall that you are talking about?

bittermelon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru Outback

Primary reason:

where you selling to?

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I bought my phantom supra in August last year with 2200 miles on it. Weird thing was when I took it to get wrapped, they told me that it had been fully wrapped and carmax just cut the whole thing off. Point is, whoever owned the car before me spent a lot of money to fully wrap it and then only drive 2200 miles. Why.... who knows?

As far as I'm concerned, it's been my gain. I enjoy washing a car for the first time in my life.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I bought my phantom supra in August last year with 2200 miles on it. Weird thing was when I took it to get wrapped, they told me that it had been fully wrapped and carmax just cut the whole thing off. Point is, whoever owned the car before me spent a lot of money to fully wrap it and then only drive 2200 miles. Why.... who knows?

As far as I'm concerned, it's been my gain. I enjoy washing a car for the first time in my life.
I have never washed with water on mine. I use a spray that cleans but no hose is used. Works great and the car looks new. I also hand wax it, because it is easy and a pleasure. Unlike my FJ Cruiser that is a pain and I get it washed. :^)

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
Had similar issues like your car plus a bit more. I just chose to get rid of it before bigger issues developed and began to lose interest in the car.

slytherx

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra, 22 F250 KingRanch Tremor, 22 GX460
You are going to get burned to the ground for that.
lol, habit. i-6!

Do you have more info on the TSB /recall that you are talking about?
No- I had emailed the big man Akio Toyoda (Toyota CEO) because multiple contacts with Toyota customer support lead nowhere and ended up in them never following up or responding (and no reply email addresses). They forwarded my email to someone at Toyota's Executive Office, who after a few weeks of initial contact informed me that a TSB would be released this March to address the oil issue.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Bought by many ā€kidsā€ and when the car is no longer the latest buzz on YouTube it is time for something else to get more views/likes.

Nothing wrong with the car, more the crowd it attractsā€¦
^^ THIS. Lots of YT content creators who bought it because it was the latest car, they did what they needed to grow their viewership for about a year and a half or so and then flipped it. ThiccWhips, Adam LZ, you name it, they all had one at one point. I bought mine of a dude that told me he just wanted to get out of it for break even because he wasn't driving it enough and his priorities changed, he wanted to pay off his house....that worked out for both of us.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI

Tons of folks on this forum from the DFW area, perhaps you could us the regional forum to talk one into a meetup to talk about it and they might let you test drive theirs....i've met a lot of awesome people over the years that are very cool about letting other folks drive their cars (within reason of course).
Sponsored