High turnover on MKV Supras?

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
BEST MILITARY BASE IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!

.......but the sand fleas in the summer are BITCHIN and keep you ITCHIN!!!!!!!!! LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

You ain't lyin...
I when through recruit training July - September...so sand fleas would only get ya half the day...unless of course you were in the sand pits making it rain...haha...
Graduated platoon 3017...
You?
Sponsored

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4

.......but the sand fleas in the summer are BITCHIN and keep you ITCHIN!!!!!!!!! LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

i AM 5-9 so getting in/out not bad and front view is not a problem especially with my seating position which is as low as the seat will go.....love that position (what she said....lol). Anyone 5-11 and above probably won't like this car.....
Well it's more than just the front view between the two of them, (my seats also max lowered, my roadster has sparco fixed positions at the lowest on the mounts) the side windows and even back triangle windows on the E86 are larger and better over all 360 field of view, even more visibility out the hatch than a MKV. The E85 has one blind spot when the top is up to behind the drivers head to the left with the top right by your head. Proper mirror placement corrects this. And the coupe resolves that all together, the catch is the rear window view is shorter on the top side of height view, same bottom view but even broader side to side than the roadster.

But this is a growing trend with a lot in the auto industry. More vehicles are being built with more known blind spots, a big reason for more tech to alert you of things in them. Every time I see the commercial of "lane correctness" so your car pays attention when you don't, and the driver is taking a selfy makes me shake my head. Phones and cars are getting smarter so people can be even more stupid. A doc I saw on the autobahn one person said he never understood why "Americans need cup holders in a car, car's are meant to be driven not to eat and drink in". There's nothing better than using the eyes in your head rather than relying on the car to tell you something is there. Then there's the mind processing delay from what the car is telling you rather than if you saw it from the start. We have a 2000 TJ wrangler my wife bought new and we leased a '17 wrangler unlimited as a extra kid hauler at the time. After I drove it more towards the end of its lease I didn't want to keep it due to the amount of blind spots not knowing if our kid was standing in one of them. The older wrangler it's like a panoramic window 360 visibility, not the case now. A reason she choose the '17 Wrangler instead of a Evoke, the Evoke has even more sight issues. Sorry for the soap box just one of my pet peeves today lol.

Chalo1

First Name
Gonzalo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1997 Supra TT
The main reason people are selling with low miles are the fact that they cant tune the newer models due to lock ECUā€™s.

Chalo1

First Name
Gonzalo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1997 Supra TT
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and have been considering purchasing a MKV Supra. However, I've noticed that there are a lot of these cars on the used car market with people selling them less than a year after initial purchase, and sometimes even before the break in period is complete (<1200 miles).

As current or previous owners, do you all have any thoughts on why this may be?

If anyone here has sold theirs shortly after purchase, I'd appreciate hearing your experience and reason for selling. Does the car not live up to the hype or were there things that made it difficult to live with?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
They are selling them due to lock ECUā€S and not being able to tune. That the real reason

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012

i AM 5-9 so getting in/out not bad and front view is not a problem especially with my seating position which is as low as the seat will go.....love that position (what she said....lol). Anyone 5-11 and above probably won't like this car.....
I have read of people over 6 feet with no issue.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I have read of people over 6 feet with no issue.
6ft here and no problem.

a little time in a HPDE got me to change my driving position to be more upright and far more forward. It took all of a day to get used to. In this more forward position, the blind spots are significantly reduced and the wee-little side-back window is actually useful. Also, the convex European version of our mirrors, which I bought, also help a lot.

with that, I think at least some might not give up on the Supra for visibility reasons.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Anyone 5-11 and above probably won't like this car.....
I'm 6'1", the Supra is perfectly fine to get in and out of and there's plenty of room inside. It's certainly easier to get in and out of than my STi with Sparco Evos was. Before I got the car I read some posts like this one saying that taller or larger people would have problems, so I was a little worried when I went for a test drive, but my first reaction when hopping in the car was confusion on what the hell everyone was talking about. Sure it's a little difficult when you're parked right next to another car and can barely open the door, but that's the case with all 2 door sports cars with long doors.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
I'm 6'1", the Supra is perfectly fine to get in and out of and there's plenty of room inside. It's certainly easier to get in and out of than my STi with Sparco Evos was. Before I got the car I read some posts like this one saying that taller or larger people would have problems, so I was a little worried when I went for a test drive, but my first reaction when hopping in the car was confusion on what the hell everyone was talking about. Sure it's a little difficult when you're parked right next to another car and can barely open the door, but that's the case with all 2 door sports cars with long doors.
I'm 6' didn't have an issue once in a MKV and also made sure to adjust the seat to a few different positions checking how it'd be getting in and out, comparing to E85/86 Z4s, soft top up the roadster is a bit harder to get in and out of, have a sparco corsa as low as possible, but looking at the difference in how the windows are cut with the Z4 coupe vs the MKV supra you'll see why I clocked my head a few times on the supra and not once yet with the Z4 coupe:
DSC_0076 (2).JPG

9e57e2928546bded5763713c3e7c71fc.jpg

cte21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
but looking at the difference in how the windows are cut with the Z4 coupe vs the MKV supra you'll see why I clocked my head a few times on the supra and not once yet with the Z4 coupe:
I'm 5'9" and hit my head at least 3 times getting into the Supra during the first week of owning it, but haven't done so since then. It definitely requires some thought and remembering and is not like getting into a larger vehicle.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
I'm 5'9" and hit my head at least 3 times getting into the Supra during the first week of owning it, but haven't done so since then. It definitely requires some thought and remembering and is not like getting into a larger vehicle.
~ I always tell new passengersā€¦ itā€™s like getting into a golf cart ā€¦ you have to duck down when entering or youā€™ll hit your head. ?

Last edited:

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
On the locked ECU. I have the 2020. Are they locking it when taken in for service or just the later ones?

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
On the locked ECU. I have the 2020. Are they locking it when taken in for service or just the later ones?
Certainly a risk regardless if it is 20 or a 21. Early '21s will require a bench unlock regardless prior to tuning and many '20s like mine did as well due to newer revision on the DME. Sounds like dealers can't or don't know how to update individual modules without also updating and locking the DME. This is why I have done my own oil changes thus far as well as paid to have the latest update for the entertainment head unit that enables fullscreen CarPlay - I just don't want to risk locking the DME again and losing my tune/EkuTek license.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Certainly a risk regardless if it is 20 or a 21. Early '21s will require a bench unlock regardless prior to tuning and many '20s like mine did as well due to newer revision on the DME. Sounds like dealers can't or don't know how to update individual modules without also updating and locking the DME. This is why I have done my own oil changes thus far as well as paid to have the latest update for the entertainment head unit that enables fullscreen CarPlay - I just don't want to risk locking the DME again and losing my tune/EkuTek license.
Yes, I have done my own changes as well. but only have about 4700 miles on mine and bought it a year ago, Jan. I don't get it. They raved about how tunable it was, how it could take some modifications and then they lock it. Has there been an official or know reason of why?

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
~ I always tell new passengersā€¦ itā€™s like getting into a golf cart ā€¦ you have to duck down when entering or youā€™ll hit your head. ?
I tell my new passengers nothing, then watch and chuckle ?

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
It just seems to be where things are heading. C8 ECU is still locked too. In the future I can imagine where the ECU will be internet connected and will continuously update and override aftermarket tunes, or will lockout the ECU if you try to tamper with it.

This will be done just as much as protecting the customer as it would be protecting the company. With recent Ransomware exploiting every industry from power to gas to food, it's just a matter of time before people can't drive their car unless they pay a ransom :)
Sponsored