How can I keep Supra battery charged in winter without a battery tender and can’t drive it

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
I saw an Amish kid using an iPhone... isn't that illegal? Was about to call ICE.
How do you know he wasn't on Rumspringa?
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..

kevenv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 MT
Mine is parked in a heated underground parkade with no outlets anywhere remotely accessible. I disconnected the neg lead and covered it for the winter.

Jambo

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gr supra 2020.
I live in New England so the salt is heavy and do not want to drive it until March. I do not have access to using a battery tender so what’s the next best thing? Can I leave the terminal off? Or do these cars needs constant power.
Don’t worry about the salt. You don’t save your wife for the next man do you?

bk5

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CUL A91-MT
Don’t worry about the salt.
Salt acts quickly enough to cause issues for the first owner. Hours for untreated metal and days for metals treated with even the best rust inhibitors.

Especially in the volumes they use anywhere it snows a lot. The roads where I live are covered in so much salt that you can't see the pavement in places, and that was just in anticipation of snow. So the undercarriage gets coated in this dust layer of salt, then the next time it rains, the water splashes around under your car and starts to eat at it.

It's probably the reason that 15+ year old cars are pretty rare around here. One of the things I notice most about traveling to FL/GA/CA is how many more "old" cars are around. And I'm not talking "old old" just 90s/early 2000s.

Yagi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra GR MT
I disconnected the negative battery terminal before a year long deployment and the car actually started just fine when reconnected so that might be an option. I don't think the temp got much below freezing though as it was in an underground garage.

OP
OP
WhiteNissan300zx

WhiteNissan300zx

First Name
SC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 300zx Twin Turbo, 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
Any reason not to take the battery out if the car and put it on a tender somewhere you’re able to?
Was told you’re not supposed to leave these cars without a battery for long or else the battery will need to be re programmed to the car unless I was lied too

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
How about just starting the car and let it run for 5 minutes every 1 month or 2? Would that be enough to charge the battery?

Allenyao09

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Toyota GR Supra 3.0 MT
Expanding on this... 5 or 10 mins of idle time will not replenish the battery from the starting effort.
Good to know. I thought the battery can be charged during idle.