How long does PDI take?

MrBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda CX-5
My dealer called me the night before to tell me that they have a 23 Supra that just arrived with 3 miles on it, and that I could drive it home if I came in to purchase it. The next day (a Saturday) I go in to pay for it. While doing the paper work, he tells me that they are cleaning it up and getting it ready, and should be ready soon. Few minutes later he comes back and tells me that they are performing PDI and need to download and update the firmware, and it could take an hour or so. I told him I could wait, no problem. After I finish with the finance manager, he comes back again and tells me that the PDI will take up to 48 hours because they need to send data or whatnot to BWM/Germany and bla bla bla. So, they give me a loaner, and now I'm supposed to go back Monday to pick it up.

So, how long does a PDI take? Why couldn't they just tell me truth from the start? What should I expect when I go in to pick it up? What if the odometer reads more? Am I being unreasonably paranoid?
Sponsored

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Heā€™s not kidding, thereā€™s whole process which requires them to send some codes back and forth to bmw to activate some stuff on the car. And I bet the service techs donā€™t work on Sunday so.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Sounds about right. They send in a request to Germany depending on the time they sent it'll probably be next business day to get the code then load it on.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
There is lots to do on a pdi if it's done correctly. From reading on this forum many people have not gotten a good pdi done because door locks weren't working correctly, shipping spacers not removed Sirius not activated. The list goes on and on. When I bought mine the dealer said 2-3 days and they actually had a bmw tech doing it because the stores were owned by the same company and right next to each other.

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Along with others have said. Don't forget some dealers only have 1 certified tech. And the certified tech might only work 1 Saturday a month.

sstevecc82

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Just bought mine, I need to go back to the dealership so they can finish with pdi. Apparently they need to send your vin number to germany so they can receive the activate code for your car. Btw you have two days to do so. some of features doesn't work atm, like navigation.

sstevecc82

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
My dealer called me the night before to tell me that they have a 23 Supra that just arrived with 3 miles on it, and that I could drive it home if I came in to purchase it. The next day (a Saturday) I go in to pay for it. While doing the paper work, he tells me that they are cleaning it up and getting it ready, and should be ready soon. Few minutes later he comes back and tells me that they are performing PDI and need to download and update the firmware, and it could take an hour or so. I told him I could wait, no problem. After I finish with the finance manager, he comes back again and tells me that the PDI will take up to 48 hours because they need to send data or whatnot to BWM/Germany and bla bla bla. So, they give me a loaner, and now I'm supposed to go back Monday to pick it up.

So, how long does a PDI take? Why couldn't they just tell me truth from the start? What should I expect when I go in to pick it up? What if the odometer reads more? Am I being unreasonably paranoid?
Check make sure they took off the plastic pieces that inside of the front strut dust boot. I was able to put my hands thru and feel around the dust boosts.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Yep, takes a while. Mine had to go through the PDI again because my nav wasn't activated. Just give them some time.

6SPDA91

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silverado, S1000R, A91-MT
You spent a fair bit of money on your vehicle, no need to worry. Don't rush them and create a problem. You've waited this long, let them finish what they need to.

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
My dealership said it takes 1 week for them to get the codes from BMW, and then another however long it takes to get the supra mastertech to get scheduled in and do the PDI.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Depends on the dealer. Mine was Toyota/BMW dealer.
Car came in on July 26, 2019 Friday morning to the dealer. Drove it on July 30th Tuesday.
Needed some programming and front radar calibration.

DrSupra

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT
This happened to me too. Car came off the truck and then i had to wait about 48 business hours and a Sunday for it. Never saw anything like this happen before because dealers usually make every effort to sell the car as quickly as possible (particularly since i had a deposit on it when it was in transport). I was expecting a car with like 5 or less miles because it had come off the truck and i saw it locked up.with the plastics on it and i couldnt even get into it. When I finally went to pick it up, the car had like 50 miles on it instead. Dealer swears it came off the truck like that and no one drove it besides the Supra tech that prepped it and that he would have only put a few miles on it at most. But they did tell me that there was some sort of code that BMW needed to send to them before they could finish prepping it and do the state inspection. My advice is check the mileage. I get the sense not every dealership is this slimy though

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Car came off the truck and then i had to wait about 48 business hours and a Sunday for it. Never saw anything like this happen before because dealers usually make every effort to sell the car as quickly as possible.
In my case, I had already done the paperwork.. besides they were happy to keep the Supra in the showroom. They don't get many, not even these days...

OP
OP

MrBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda CX-5
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've never had to wait for post delivery inspection when buying a new car, so I was a bit worried. I finally picked up the Supra today, so my PDI took over two days. It was worth the wait. This Supra is insane. Insane, I tell you. I can't wait to get up in the morning so I can drive again :D
Sponsored