How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
You definitely have a bigger issue at play here. Definitely an amp issue of some sort
Sponsored

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow with the interior already taken out so they can easily see what I'm talking about or swap speakers for themselves if needed.

BMW has had some issues with amps in recent years so it wouldn't be too surprising. Just bad luck.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dealership agrees there is definitely something messed up since the distortion is extremely easy to hear with only the subwoofers playing any sound. I explained all of my troubleshooting steps and why I think it's probably the amp at this point.

They took a video with the balance all the way to one side and then the other and you can clearly hear the driver side distorting. Now I just have to wait to see if Toyota corporate approves the amp replacement.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Surprisingly replacing the amp did not fix the issue. They're going to try a software update next.

If it's not that it has to be the head unit or wiring I guess.

Edit: No luck on the update. They're waiting for a response from Toyota at the moment.

Last edited:

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Wow. Sorry to hear this. That’s definitely a shock. I figured it was definitely amp related.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Latest update is that Toyota corporate won't approve any more warranty work on this currently because they don't have a fix for it and they're saying that all of them do it. There is currently an open dealer product report (not sure what that means) but as of now there is no fix available from Toyota.

I've always heard that Toyota service work is awful but I'm pretty disappointed they're just going to give up at this point.

For now I guess I'm just going to unhook that subwoofer. With the mods from this thread it will probably sound better with one than it did from the factory anyway.

Sam B

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
That’s ridiculous. I don’t think I would be happy w that answer from them. I would keep pushing.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Latest update is that Toyota corporate won't approve any more warranty work on this currently because they don't have a fix for it and they're saying that all of them do it. There is currently an open dealer product report (not sure what that means) but as of now there is no fix available from Toyota.
Sounds like an attorney could make a killing on a class-action then... unless they're pulling a Microsoft and calling that a "feature". :rolleyes:

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sounds like an attorney could make a killing on a class-action then... unless they're pulling a Microsoft and calling that a "feature". :rolleyes:
They were admitting that it is a problem at least, just that they don't currently have a fix for it.

I need to set in some other cars to see if I can hear the same thing. It's not extremely noticeable especially before you fix the other rattles present from the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of peoples cars are doing the same thing and they just haven't noticed or dug into it enough to pin point the issue.

It is clear as day though when you unplug the other rear speakers and just have the two subs playing. I'll try to get a video of it before I put it back together.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
They were admitting that it is a problem at least, just that they don't currently have a fix for it.

I need to set in some other cars to see if I can hear the same thing. It's not extremely noticeable especially before you fix the other rattles present from the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of peoples cars are doing the same thing and they just haven't noticed or dug into it enough to pin point the issue.

It is clear as day though when you unplug the other rear speakers and just have the two subs playing. I'll try to get a video of it before I put it back together.
Sounds like they're just too lazy to properly diagnose and fix the issue; This isn't out of character by any stretch.

Now I don't want to minimize your problem but after about 6,000km I have no real complaints with the audio save for the mid range sounding a little muddy. I have ported my subs and added the foam to the boxes but didn't bother with sound deadening or any of the vibration/rattle solutions as I never had the issues to begin with.

From what you have posted, it sounds like you unfortunately got a Friday build audio system and if I were you I would be fighting tooth and nail until Toyota fixes it.

Where you able to see underneath the subwoofer? Maybe removing it from the box and see if there's still noise?
This reminds me. After I had an aftermarket system installed, I had a similar issue with a Focal speaker in my Type R. The issue was intermittent and nobody could work out what the issue was. I was eventually told it was likely that my amp was under-powered. Long story short, it turned out that it was just a solitary screw that had been threaded on install and the fucker just so happened to resonate at a certain frequency. Ugh.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0

I've always heard that Toyota service work is awful but I'm pretty disappointed they're just going to give up at this point.

For now I guess I'm just going to unhook that subwoofer. With the mods from this thread it will probably sound better with one than it did from the factory anyway.
I have the same issue and got the same response. They know it's faulty, but refuse to go any further.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

Get a really nice loud exhaust to drown out any unwanted noises 😜