How to Improve OE Sub Bass Quality and Eliminate Vibrations

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
It's definitely NOT the small set of speakers behind my head. I have that taken out now and the sound is coming from the subwoofer area. I'm leaning toward the driver side subwoofer itself having a blown voice coil.

Are you saying integral audio makes a replacement speaker that will fit in the stock subwoofer box? If so can you link exactly what you bought?
https://integralaudio.com/underseat-woofer-for-bmw-3-series-f30-e90.html

You'll need to purchase and adaptor harness for $12 ebay#

And do a bit of wiring , but retains the ability to revert back to stock
I spent $320 with tax and shipping on these and they sound better than the Bavsounds for $600 I had in the F80
Sponsored

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
https://integralaudio.com/underseat-woofer-for-bmw-3-series-f30-e90.html

You'll need to purchase and adaptor harness for $12 ebay#

And do a bit of wiring , but retains the ability to revert back to stock
I spent $320 with tax and shipping on these and they sound better than the Bavsounds for $600 I had in the F80
I ordered a replacement stock one for now since my passenger side sub is fine. If that doesn't work I'll probably go this route. Thanks for the info.

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
I forgot to post on here but the dealer did end up replacing that speaker finally (probably) and if anything just made matters worse. At this point I'm thinking there is just something vibrating behind one of those panels so I'm probably just going to tear it apart and fix it myself. It's bad enough now that I can hopefully track it down more easily.

The reason I say they probably replaced it is because the receipt they gave me listed the part number for the passenger side but they say it was actually the driver side they replaced.
Interesting, for I've been trying to get Toyota to do a proper diagnosis of my driver side subwoofer distortion, since I purchased the car. The first dealer replaced the speaker, but that didn't fix the issue...the problem is with the Amp or wiring. The subwoofer bounces up and down, like it's clipping. The second and third dealerships compared the sound with another Supra and are stating it sounds 'normal'...bunch of malarkey! The first dealer showed me the speaker, while it was playing, so I know there's definitely something wrong. I liken the experience to that of an Amp with the gain control turned up too high on that channel, but these amps don't have that adjustment capability. Toyota just keeps giving me the runaround...currently have the speaker disconnected, so I can listen to music buzz-free.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting, for I've been trying to get Toyota to do a proper diagnosis of my driver side subwoofer distortion, since I purchased the car. The first dealer replaced the speaker, but that didn't fix the issue...the problem is with the Amp or wiring. The subwoofer bounces up and down, like it's clipping. The second and third dealerships compared the sound with another Supra and are stating it sounds 'normal'...bunch of malarkey! The first dealer showed me the speaker, while it was playing, so I know there's definitely something wrong. I liken the experience to that of an Amp with the gain control turned up too high on that channel, but these amps don't have that adjustment capability. Toyota just keeps giving me the runaround...currently have the speaker disconnected, so I can listen to music buzz-free.
Yeah that's why I'm not even bothering taking it back to the dealer this time. I'd rather roll the dice on a used ebay subwoofer than mess with the dealer.

They gave it back to me sounding like shit last time so no reason to think they would do any better the second time.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you having issues with the drivers side subwoofer distorting....Do you have ASD (Active Sound Design) disabled? And if so how (physically unplugged ASD module or shut off using Bimmercode)...IIRC, the over-riding synthesized signal from the ASD module is only fed to the driver's side subwoofer...

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For those of you having issues with the drivers side subwoofer distorting....Do you have ASD (Active Sound Design) disabled? And if so how (physically unplugged ASD module or shut off using Bimmercode)...IIRC, the over-riding synthesized signal from the ASD module is only fed to the driver's side subwoofer...
Yes it's disabled via coding for me. The issue also persists whether the car is running or not.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Same for me
New subwoofer made no difference. Unplugging the ASD module made no difference. I have that whole side of the car torn apart at the moment and I still can't find where it's coming from.

I guess the next step is to take the rear cross bar out. I need to go buy a T50 though.

Edit: I took the crossbar off on the drivers side and couldn't tell a difference. Starting to run out of ideas.

Last edited:

roddrsw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra MT
New subwoofer made no difference. Unplugging the ASD module made no difference. I have that whole side of the car torn apart at the moment and I still can't find where it's coming from.

I guess the next step is to take the rear cross bar out. I need to go buy a T50 though.

Edit: I took the crossbar off on the drivers side and couldn't tell a difference. Starting to run out of ideas.
Oh crap....

Where you able to see underneath the subwoofer? Maybe removing it from the box and see if there's still noise?

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
Oh crap....

Where you able to see underneath the subwoofer? Maybe removing it from the box and see if there's still noise?
Since you have all the panels out, you should check the output from the Amp on that channel. Is your subwoofer jumping up and down (clipping)?

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I did some more testing and took the subwoofer driver out of the box while it was playing so it couldn't vibrate anything and the sound is 100% coming from the driver itself.

At this point either both my original subwoofer and the one I bought are blown or there is something else going on.

Any ideas @tadda ?

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did some more testing and took the subwoofer driver out of the box while it was playing so it couldn't vibrate anything and the sound is 100% coming from the driver itself.

At this point either both my original subwoofer and the one I bought are blown or there is something else going on.

Any ideas @tadda ?
If it's low bass distortion you're hearing and you replaced the sub and it still does produces distortion, then it's coming from the Amp....

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If it's low bass distortion you're hearing and you replaced the sub and it still does produces distortion, then it's coming from the Amp....
Unless both subs were bad. It was a used one off ebay.

I guess I need to take the other side of the car apart and swap speaker from side to side next.

OP
OP
tadda

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unless both subs were bad. It was a used one off ebay.

I guess I need to take the other side of the car apart and swap speaker from side to side next.
I assumed you already did this....Good luck...

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
After swapping speakers, the drivers side always sounds worse regardless of speakers but neither are great. This is making me think the amp might be messed up.
Sponsored