HPDE and hot weather

Evoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I'm planning on taking my car to Thunderhill Raceway on July 31st. With the current weather trend, it looks like it's going to be over 100 degrees. This will be my second time taking my car to the track. Car is stock except I'm going to change my brake fluid to Motul RBF600 and engine oil to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 before going. I also will be running on RE71R tires.

Should I be worried about the heat with this car? Do I need to keep an eye on engine oil temps or anything? How will the brakes and tires hold up?
Sponsored

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Worried in terms of doing damage? No, especially not after a change to 5w-30 engine oil. Worried about maintaining consistent performance? Yes, in regards to high IAT and the plastic intake manifold we have on this car from the factory. I'm not sure there's a good fix for this without cutting holes in your hood and/or shelling out $4k to StudioRSR for a new (metal) intake manifold. That being said, the StudioRSR intake manifold is so pretty...

OP
OP
Evoh

Evoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Worried in terms of doing damage? No, especially not after a change to 5w-30 engine oil. Worried about maintaining consistent performance? Yes, in regards to high IAT and the plastic intake manifold we have on this car from the factory. I'm not sure there's a good fix for this without cutting holes in your hood and/or shelling out $4k to StudioRSR for a new (metal) intake manifold. That being said, the StudioRSR intake manifold is so pretty...
Yea, mostly in terms of damage and also the performance of the brakes and tires.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yea, mostly in terms of damage and also the performance of the brakes and tires.
Yeah, you hit two areas that are my biggest concerns: tires and brakes (with IAT being the 3rd). Neither are really meant for track work. Both are subjective (the latter in pedal feel), but I've been less than impressed with brakes on this car in general, even on the street. I don't foresee overheating issues, but rather simply ability to stop the car and the feel of the pedal, though it was improved by installing this: https://www.verus-engineering.com/s...inder-brace-mk5-toyota-supra-1620?category=57. Going to go with Cup 2's after the stock tires are gone to solve that issue. Not sure what can be done without running a difference compound.

Mark5825

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2017 Mustang
Simple thing to help some is pulling the engine cover off.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I think it should be OK since I ran my car in pretty hot days without any issue. I would not do anything preemtively without setting base line, though.. check your temps /w "secret" menu before and after sessions to understand differences.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
While fresh RBF 600 should hold up, your stock brake pads with RE71 tires might quickly become unhappy depending on how you're braking and on the THill configuration (east/west/5mile).

Check for pad smearing on your rotors or any unusual wear throughout the day. Remember if the brake pedal is firm but you're not getting more stopping power, your pads are toasty (brake fade)...definitely take a cool down lap or two before getting on it again.

felcrum

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Prem, '20 RC350
Hey! I'll be at thunderhill with NASA on 7/31 and 8/1. Heading out from the Bay Area too!

Booking a hotel room now. Let me know if you'd like to cruise together.

OP
OP
Evoh

Evoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey! I'll be at thunderhill with NASA on 7/31 and 8/1. Heading out from the Bay Area too!

Booking a hotel room now. Let me know if you'd like to cruise together.
Nice! I'm only going to be there on 7/31 so I won't be getting a hotel room and will be leaving around 4am that morning.

OP
OP
Evoh

Evoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You will be battling greasy tires on a hot track before the engine has issues.
At stock power you will feel some heat soak but not enough to ruin your day.
That's what I was thinking about the tires. What hot tire pressure should I be aiming for? I read that it should be around 35 psi hot.

gcmak

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
That's what I was thinking about the tires. What hot tire pressure should I be aiming for? I read that it should be around 35 psi hot.
There are recommended pressures in the infotainment screen that dynamically adjust. If you follow those pressures, you'll have decently better tire wear but it's not going to necessarily maximize your tire grip.

RE71R would be happier to run with lower pressures than the recommended in the system (which is calibrated for the PSS tires). Chalk/observe wear, pyrometer, driver feedback...some combo of those will get you in the ballpark of what's good. First session out, maybe start off with 35 cold and see how it feels/where the pressures and wear end up.
IMG_9454.jpeg

OP
OP
Evoh

Evoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)