Interview Questions for Detroit from the Fans

What 2018 Auto Show do you Toyota will pick for a possible unveiling?

• Detroit

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Chicago

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • New York

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Geneva

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Pebble Beach Concours D'Eleganc

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • None of the above, it will take place at a 2019 auto show.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
1) How long will the body stay stock?
2) How much time do you give the new engine before it gets swapped?
Sponsored

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
1. What competitor's car(s) was/were used as a benchmark for this project? (Eg. Porsche Cayman was used for 86 Development)
2. In 2016, a manufacturer-registered MKIV Toyota Supra was caught testing on the Nurburgring, along with some Lexus F-models and a Porsche 997 911 GT3RS. Was this MKIV Supra just for benchmarking, or was it using an MKIV shell with new drivetrain components? Also, was the 911 GT3RS being used as a benchmark for the Supra?
I can answer these as they dont really border on secret information.

1) 911 was the big one, but I'm not sure what specs. I was under the impression it was the regular and S.
2) The engineers each drove the mkiv (there were 3 IIRC) around the track and into town in order to get a feeling for how the mkiv felt and why people loved it. It was for benchmarking and at least one car was bought back from the public. They repeated this for quite some time.

5. Has Akio driven the prototype as reported by many media outlets?
yes.

3. When and where can we expect to see the production car debut?
It should be the production car as development was 98% complete as of August 2017 :)

Options are apparently still up in the air however.

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I hope it is the production version. I think it would make the most sense if they are planning to have these in dealerships around the same time next year. Plus if it reflects the FT-1; I think we have seen so many 'what it could look like' designs since 2014 that everyone is just ready to see what the real deal is.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
I can answer these as they dont really border on secret information.

1) 911 was the big one, but I'm not sure what specs. I was under the impression it was the regular and S.
911 was
911 was the benchmark, but they wanted it to be like the Cayman in terms of lightness

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
^ I hope it is the production version. I think it would make the most sense if they are planning to have these in dealerships around the same time next year. Plus if it reflects the FT-1; I think we have seen so many 'what it could look like' designs since 2014 that everyone is just ready to see what the real deal is.
Same here, all of the renderings and fan art have been nice and all, but I'm ready to see the real thing already! I mean its only been 3 years and 8 months now. :sleep:

Last edited:

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
If they are planning to unveil the production car soon than why hasn't the test car shed some more of the camo?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 was the benchmark, but they wanted it to be like the Cayman in terms of lightness
The engineers never mentioned the Cayman to me, but could be...

If they are planning to unveil the production car soon than why hasn't the test car shed some more of the camo?
good question, but I dont have that answer unfortunately. maybe they plan to show a pre-production model as a stopgap since options arent confirmed yet. who knows... this is where we start seeing marketing come into play versus just engineering.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
It should be the production car as development was 98% complete as of August 2017 :)

Options are apparently still up in the air however.
Good to know. :thumbsup:

Do you mean drivetrain options (manual tranny) or cosmetic options like wheels, colors, fabrics, and etc?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well, they didn't seem all that interested in the talk of manuals, so I didn't press the question oc alternatives much further, but everything else was par for the course as far as I could tell (options).

I told them we all REALLY wanted a 4cyl turbo, hybrid, with CVT, so I think we're good... lmao

Jokes aside, I argued the case for the manual, but I think this was more about BMW offerings and accounting telling them manuals are nonsensical in the 50-60k range :/

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
1. Will it be a toyota or bmw motor? (doubt it'll be answered tho lol)

2. are the rumors true? 4cyl model? and 6cyl?
If you listen to spy videos, there is a definite 4 and 6 cylinder version. Both DCT. The 6 sounds like the BMW six - and not a V6.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I know that one trim level (if there is more than one) was testing with DCT, but I have no idea if that's production.

One thing I didn't even ask was if there was a 4cyl and 6cyl version, but considering all we did was discuss BMW inline 6s I find it odd that there is a 4cyl.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I know that one trim level (if there is more than one) was testing with DCT, but I have no idea if that's production.

One thing I didn't even ask was if there was a 4cyl and 6cyl version, but considering all we did was discuss BMW inline 6s I find it odd that there is a 4cyl.
That is good to know. :thumbsup:

Lets hope that is true. If they do make a 4 cylinder version I hope its just for markets like Europe.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Ask them the one question that is on everyone's minds, will it be tunable?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I actually touched on performance of the motor, that being the most important thing on my mind, and I was met with some information on what the motor will be, but you guys have been pretty good at guessing around that information already.

Actual power numbers were not set in stone at that time.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.