Interview Questions for Detroit from the Fans

What 2018 Auto Show do you Toyota will pick for a possible unveiling?

• Detroit

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Chicago

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • New York

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Geneva

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Los Angeles

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Paris

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Pebble Beach Concours D'Eleganc

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • None of the above, it will take place at a 2019 auto show.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Aside from specs, price, launch date, a pretty important one for me:

Will customers be able to custom order a car from the factory? Or will we just be stuck with whatever the distributor sends to the dealer?

If I have to wait for gulf states toyota to send a car to a local dealer with my preferred specs, I might be waiting forever.

And then of course, possibly unanswerable:

Does Toyota plan to release a higher performance model like a Nurburgring edition or GRMN edition of the Supra?

When can we drive it in Gran Turismo?? :D
Sponsored

Last edited:

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
I actually touched on performance of the motor, that being the most important thing on my mind, and I was met with some information on what the motor will be, but you guys have been pretty good at guessing around that information already.

Actual power numbers were not set in stone at that time.
Is it going to be a new engine or something currently in use by TMC/BMW

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
depends what you're defintion of new is... if you considered the FA20D to be new, then it's new lol

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, man, totally forgot about this one until I read this

Will customers be able to custom order a car from the factory? Or will we just be stuck with whatever the distributor sends to the dealer?
Are we gonna be able to do BMW style European delivery? I'm assuming it's a no, but I figured it's worth asking.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Well, they didn't seem all that interested in the talk of manuals, so I didn't press the question oc alternatives much further, but everything else was par for the course as far as I could tell (options).

I told them we all REALLY wanted a 4cyl turbo, hybrid, with CVT, so I think we're good... lmao

Jokes aside, I argued the case for the manual, but I think this was more about BMW offerings and accounting telling them manuals are nonsensical in the 50-60k range :/
Perfect, let the accountants decide what makes a good car. Great news for me, I can save my money. Guess the countdown for the next 86 will begin in October if the accountants don't screw that one up.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Can we expect Toyota's famous reliabilty?
Bonus question: is Yamaha coming through for them?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Can we expect Toyota's famous reliabilty?
Bonus question: is Yamaha coming through for them?
Yamaha is not involved and as of late has instead been pairing off with Lexus' performance 'F' division. Might not see Yamaha outside of that circle anymore, but time will tell.

I actually spoke with an ex-Yamaha engineer recently and he spoke to this in that toyota wants to keep Yamaha working on premium products (i.e. Lexus).

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
Yamaha is not involved and as of late has instead been pairing off with Lexus' performance 'F' division. Might not see Yamaha outside of that circle anymore, but time will tell.

I actually spoke with an ex-Yamaha engineer recently and he spoke to this in that toyota wants to keep Yamaha working on premium products (i.e. Lexus).
considering how good the LC sounds and Knowing that Yamaha did the LFA sound tune, fingers are crossed for what an LCF will sound like. (Am sorry off topic)

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The LC500 is already Yamaha tuned, albeit in sort of a roundabout way. It has the 2UR-GSE (w/ Yamaha engineered head) that came in the IS-F/RC-F :)

I've read the LC-F is to be a twin turbo 4L V8, and I know the chief engineer on that project as well, but only as an aquaintance. WISH I could get some of the details on that thing as the LC-F is the closest thing we will ever get to an actual 1/1 spiritual successor of the A70/A80 IMO.

Last edited:

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
Well, they didn't seem all that interested in the talk of manuals, so I didn't press the question oc alternatives much further, but everything else was par for the course as far as I could tell (options).
So No manual? Accountants won't get my money then, am out

Is it going to be a new engine or something currently in use by TMC/BMW

I know that one trim level (if there is more than one) was testing with DCT, but I have no idea if that's production.

One thing I didn't even ask was if there was a 4cyl and 6cyl version, but considering all we did was discuss BMW inline 6s I find it odd that there is a 4cyl.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd be REALLY surprised (pleasantly so) if it came with a manual.. everything is going auto or at least DCT/SMT at this point.

I just look to Lexus for clues, and the evidence is right there clear as day. Toyota has always been about making safe and profitable decisions after all. Those tenets have occasionally aligned with fun and sporty in the past, but I dont think the manual is going to be such an instance this time

mas921

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Several RWD's
I'd be REALLY surprised (pleasantly so) if it came with a manual.. everything is going auto or at least DCT/SMT at this point.

I just look to Lexus for clues, and the evidence is right there clear as day. Toyota has always been about making safe and profitable decisions after all. Those tenets have occasionally aligned with fun and sporty in the past, but I dont think the manual is going to be such an instance this time
I dunno man, BMW accounts deemed otherwise. Genesis is bringing a Manual G70 to the states next year. and that 3800lb-leather-cladded-boat is like the last place anybody would want a manual tranny; an entry level luxury sedan car with ZERO performance heritage. also cheap-little-Hyundai has a manual only i30N that got sold out in Germany in 48 hours.

Its not just Korean cars, as the 991 GT3 demonstrated. and AFAIK all the Supra's competitors, with similar price ranges, come with manuals too : Cayman, non turbo 911, Corvettes ,Jaguar F-Type ..even the Audi TTRS.

am not trying say you're wrong or anything, i do appreciate you sharing any tidbits with us. but -such decision by them- is just so hard to fathom, it doesn't make any sense to me. they went all they way to BMW to cut costs, the bmw version does have a manual, just to cheap out on the "Supra's Successor" ..WTF?!!

Also Toyota Raved about the 86/BRZ being a no-committee car, and Lexus actually lost money on each LFA, but gained that in marketing budgets and brand awareness. Safe decisions can take place elsewhere other than transmissions!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.