Is our paint to soft?

TheBayA90

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nocturnal A90, 2021 Lexus RX350 F sport
I got a pea sized paint chip on the nose during the first week of ownership. šŸ˜©
Sponsored

robotvoice

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2010 Audi A3 quattro
Swirl marks are going to be in the clear coat ABOVE your paint. It has no thing to do with the thickness of the paint underneath. I've been pretty meticulous with cleaning my car since I got it and there's pretty much zero swirl marks. You do have to be really conscious about how you wash and especially how you dry the car to really cut down on the fine scratches in the clear coat, but that's not anything specific to the Supra.

Paint thickness (or lack thereof) is an issue across the entire car industry and has gotten where it is because of environmental regulations, cost cutting, etc. This is why everyone covers their cars in PPF now because of how easy it is to get rock chips, etc. from just daily driving. People have been bitching about this for many many years and also not anything specific to the Supra.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Between 4-5.5 mills seems to be the norm for most cars.

Iā€™m a perfectionist so I wrapped my entire Supra in Xpel aka ppf. No regrets and money well spent for an over the top car guy.

Some say they will just repaint it when it gets chipped upā€¦ that hurts the value imo and chips even easier with a respray.

Others sayā€¦ F it and just drive it. Respect either way.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Iā€™m a perfectionist so I wrapped my entire Supra in Xpel aka ppf. No regrets and money well spent for an over the top car guy.

Some say they will just repaint it when it gets chipped upā€¦ that hurts the value imo and chips even easier with a respray.

When you remove that PPF you're in for a surprise under those chips brotha.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
When you remove that PPF you're in for a surprise under those chips brotha.
~ Not true brothaā€¦ I been running ppf on my cars since 1989. Iā€™m an installer and have removed many many kits.

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
I'm an F it person. I got a small chip and two PDRable dents the first week and it has been a big stress relief after the initial WTF. Still insanely conscience about exterior care, but realize that shit I cant control does happen.

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Swirl marks are going to be in the clear coat ABOVE your paint. It has no thing to do with the thickness of the paint underneath. I've been pretty meticulous with cleaning my car since I got it and there's pretty much zero swirl marks. You do have to be really conscious about how you wash and especially how you dry the car to really cut down on the fine scratches in the clear coat, but that's not anything specific to the Supra.

Paint thickness (or lack thereof) is an issue across the entire car industry and has gotten where it is because of environmental regulations, cost cutting, etc. This is why everyone covers their cars in PPF now because of how easy it is to get rock chips, etc. from just daily driving. People have been bitching about this for many many years and also not anything specific to the Supra.
Sorry when I said paint. I meant paint and clear as a combo. My detailer is hesitant each time he cleans and polishes the car worrying he'll burn through the clear soon. Not much clear either on the car.

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

My repainted hood is higher quality then other parts of the car. When oem portion swirls hood hasn't yet.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
@jtsang25 You're not wrong about the fragility of the clear coat on our vehicles. It's tough to say if my 2021 was actually better or the Nitro Yellow just hid surface scratches and swirls better, but the 23 CU Later is almost like refrigerated butter. I realized how soft it is while installing my 'functional' hood vents, when my surgically clean fingers made contact and left a few little lines :mad:

Grubb

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 MT (Jan/2023)
Concerns about soft paint, and swirl marks could be addressed with a good professional, ceramic coating. Thatā€™s what I did and Iā€™m very happy with it on my 23 Absolute Zero paint.

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra

I used to be ocd about keeping it perfect but now Iā€™m more of F it lol. I wash it once or twice a month and wax once or twice year but thatā€™s it. Trying to achieve perfection drove me crazy and PPF is insanely expensive. But i never let it get filthy. Whether clean or dirty itā€™s still a Supra and looks better than most other cars on the road

OP
OP
jtsang25

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Concerns about soft paint, and swirl marks could be addressed with a good professional, ceramic coating. Thatā€™s what I did and Iā€™m very happy with it on my 23 Absolute Zero paint.
I have ceramic coating. It's not 100%. Hard enough contact will still leave something there.