issue with the Supra in cold weather

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Hi fellow members, hope you're all well and safe. It's getting really cold where I live in BC Canada, often snowing and temp drops below -10C. I am having an issue operating my 2021 Supra which is very annoying and I hope to get a solution here. Due to the freezing temp, the window won't open/close to ventalize the air pressure when closing the door, and the car won't go in D or R if the door is not close completely. As soon the car moves a little the tranny goes in Park automatically, which is frustrating. I tried spraying silicone lube on the window channels and applying gummipfleger on the door seals but it did not work. I was planning to short the door pin so the car won't recognize the door is open but then my won't go up and down when I open the door at all. For the past few days I had to open the trunk a little, so I can close the door properly and luckily the car would go in gear with truck open. Does anyone know if there is a setting or coding which prevent the tranny to go in Park when the door is open? or knows of any creative way to get the window open/close in freezing temp? Thanks for your input.

media20221219-9965-ue7g25.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
Doesn't get anywhere near that cold 'round here. But I'm a fan of bimmer coding and so poked around a bit. Couldn't find anything.

But.. several different BMW forums mention that this ONLY happens if the door is open AND the seat belt is not latched. You try hooking the seatbelt and try again?

OP
OP

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Doesn't get anywhere near that cold 'round here. But I'm a fan of bimmer coding and so poked around a bit. Couldn't find anything.

But.. several different BMW forums mention that this ONLY happens if the door is open AND the seat belt is not latched. You try hooking the seatbelt and try again?
Thanks for looking into coding options for me. The last 2 times it happened i didn't buckle the seatbelt, will try it again today and report back.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
If you're talking about the window physically freezing and not allowing it to drop to clear the rubber seal then just slam it harder. I've dealt with it on this car and when I had my FRS for 7 years. Never had an issue just forcing it closed. I know that sounds like terrible advice but like I said, never caused me any issues.

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
Park in a garage, throw a cover on when not driving, spay it down with aeronautical grade de-icer, crack your window when you park....

I noticed in the picture that your windshield wipers aren't up. Did you recently move to a cold/freezing climate...?

I like your wheels by the way. I've been looking at that color and its growing on me. Black or chrome just seem a bit boring to me now.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Thereā€™s also a way to reset the up / down (drop down) window when I opening and closing the door. It requires holding the window button up for a series of time. Iā€™m sure this sequence can be found online. Sounds like it needs the hard reset.

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Geez man, get an AWD for winter in snow belt state.. especially knowing it's going to snow in Canada. :crazy:

Too harsh? .. :dunno:

I mean there is a time and place for useless cars like the Supra.

OP
OP

OverRev

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 SUPRA
Ya, I drive my SUV when the snow is thick. I just put Advan AS+ plus on the Supra and tried to see how far it would go. Tried again yesterday after work. It's was -6C, no snow but the windows got stuck again, buckled the seatbelt and it didn't go back to park this time.

StevesMK5

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE Nocturnal. 94 Mkiv Supra turbo renaissance red 6 speed Ram 3500 6.7 Jeep Wrangler l6
omg respect your car bro get it in a garage or you shouldn't own a supra if you cant afford a proper garage. It looks like your trying to plow the snow with your front lip!! The issues your having is from it getting fucked up and frozen in the cold. that is neglect. you better own other means of transportation or sell it. i hate when i see this.

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
omg respect your car bro get it in a garage or you shouldn't own a supra if you cant afford a proper garage. It looks like your trying to plow the snow with your front lip!! The issues your having is from it getting fucked up and frozen in the cold. that is neglect. you better own other means of transportation or sell it. i hate when i see this.
Lol I own my home and my car but I don't have a garage. She gets dusty in the carport, it's one of my gripes of not having a garage. But I guess I don't deserve to own this car even though I paid for it šŸ˜”

travsam89

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 1998 Trans Am WS6
Youā€™re nuts driving that thing in the snow! I bought a $2k beater for these reasons. But hey you do you šŸ™ƒ

StevesMK5

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE Nocturnal. 94 Mkiv Supra turbo renaissance red 6 speed Ram 3500 6.7 Jeep Wrangler l6
store your car in a garage topped off with fuel with a minimum temperature of 50 degrees to prevent condensation from getting inside. keep it on a lift if storing longer than a month to mitigate flat spots on your tires plug battery on tender. :cool:

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Thereā€™s drivers cars and kept cars, he just happens to enjoy cars before other conveniences. Weā€™ve all been there, when I was younger I parked in the apartment complex, had my car shot with pellet guns, windows broken out, keyed, car stereos stollen every month. I should have had a real beater but having a nice car was more important than a nice home I couldnā€™t afford at the time. Donā€™t beat the man up for being an enthusiast. I donā€™t like to see cars neglected either but itā€™s - his car; his money. I say enjoy just try to take it easy on the the Supra so it doesnā€™t look like a beater in a couple years.

Last edited:

frankenm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
All season tires are not safe below freezing tempatures, you need proper snow tires or we will find your car in another thread soon .... rwd sports car are proper fun in the winter in the north
Sponsored