Just bought my 2020 used - I have one question

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
Hello, impulse bought this beautiful MKV car today because of the good deal I got on it. Not terribly informed on the platform other than the few vids I’ve seen on youtube, but I will rectify that soon enough. The car has 3900 miles on it and a warning comes up about changing the oil, but there is also another warning that talks about changing the oil more or less immediately or possible damage to vehicle may occur. should I be overly concerned?

I read we need to use Toyota GR oil, I was going to use Castrol synthetic, is that compatible?

thanks.
Sponsored

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
there is also another warning that talks about changing the oil more or less immediately or possible damage to vehicle may occur. should I be overly concerned?
Is the message complaining about the oil level being dangerously low? I'd be very concerned. Who knows how much oil it's leaked already.

I read we need to use Toyota GR oil, I was going to use Castrol synthetic, is that compatible?
Toyota says 0W20 API SN ACEA C5. I believe most Castrol oils don't meet ACEA C5.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No not about being low. I checked the oil level it was at max.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Hello, impulse bought this beautiful MKV car today because of the good deal I got on it. Not terribly informed on the platform other than the few vids I’ve seen on youtube, but I will rectify that soon enough. The car has 3900 miles on it and a warning comes up about changing the oil, but there is also another warning that talks about changing the oil more or less immediately or possible damage to vehicle may occur. should I be overly concerned?

thanks.
Same thing happened to me. I got my car from the dealership and a month after the same lights came on. Went to the original dealer and they said I wasn’t due for another 10k or 6 months. I asked for the service records and they said they had none.
so my car was right, the 6 month mark came up and it needed an oil change.
the 6 months isn’t the time from YOUR purchase unless they did an oil change. Which they did not.
so go get the oil changed. It’s free and under warranty. It took about an hour since they do a full car inspection as well as a tire rotation.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Follow up question. Can the oil filter be changed without draining the oil? so if I pull out the filter will tons of oil come out unless I drain the oil first.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
not sure why you'd change filter without oil unless you know it's broken. typically, filter life out lasts oil. And what protects engine is oil and filter does not improve quality of oil degrading. It only filters out any large particle that may harm engine.

as for oil light, this car has many different oil message. take screenshot of the message for better answer.

and last, I had my oil changed at 3K miles after 4 month. if car shows that it needs oil change now, dealer should change it. if that dealer won't do it, take it to other that's more knowledgeable.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well since I got the car used with 3900 miles on it yesterday and no record of a previous oil change I didn’t want to wait till mid week to get the oil changed. So I bought some oil and the only filter I could find, which happens to be a Wix filter. I could find no info of MKV’s Using Wix filters, so I figured I could use it in the meantime Andy switch it out for a Mann filter once I get it.

mycin

First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Same thing happened to me. I got my car from the dealership and a month after the same lights came on. Went to the original dealer and they said I wasn’t due for another 10k or 6 months. I asked for the service records and they said they had none.
so my car was right, the 6 month mark came up and it needed an oil change.
the 6 months isn’t the time from YOUR purchase unless they did an oil change. Which they did not.
so go get the oil changed. It’s free and under warranty. It took about an hour since they do a full car inspection as well as a tire rotation.
Tire rotation? Mine has different sized front and rear. It'll be a little difficult ?

mycin

First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Can't do that either with radial tires

SupraYYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0
Can't do that either with radial tires
Huh? You absolutely can rotate radial tires.

Maybe you mean directional. Our Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are asymmetric, but they're not directional. There's no difference between a left and a right tire.

mycin

First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
Huh? You absolutely can rotate radial tires.

Maybe you mean directional. Our Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are asymmetric, but they're not directional. There's no difference between a left and a right tire.
I'm dating myself, I remember back in the day you couldn't cross over radials

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Follow up question. Can the oil filter be changed without draining the oil? so if I pull out the filter will tons of oil come out unless I drain the oil first.
PLEASE dont take this the wrong way but if this is an actual ?question?, then take the vehicle to a Toyota or BMW (if no close by Toyota dealer) and have them 1). check the warning and 2). change the oil anyway. If the dealer you purchased from can't provide service info then assume none was done. Don't take off the filter if you are not changing the oil......better to be safe than sorry.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Max, I get it, my question may be a bit off the wall like I don’t know what I’m talking about or even should messing around with cars at all, but it was more out of curiosity. I’ve worked on many many of my cars over the last 25 years, and have a rather good understanding on how to work on them and modify them, but for all the cars that I’ve owned and worked on, including rebuilding engines and such, I’ve never had a car with a filter housing that was on top of the engine. I’ve had filters you screw in on the top, but not a housing. I assumed there would be residual oil in the housing but most of it would drain back in the oil pan. I figured if the Wix filter was considered substandard I could replace it in a few days, but the oil would be fresh at least.

btw, I changed the oil and filter and cleared the service warning. it’s actually very easy on this car compared to my 86 Porsche 944 turbo For instance. But I couldn’t find where any MKV owner used a Wix filter, and if it was considered an equal or better than the Mann filter, but I didnt want to wait till my next weekend driving it.

hope that clears it up a bit.

also, I don’t trust any dealership to do any service I can do.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Bought a leftover 2020 in October and the car had sat on the lot since Sept 2019. At 1k miles I got the oil change reminder. Had the dealer perform the first oil change

I changed the oil again at 5k miles. Did a bunch of reading and found that the other B58 powered BMWs calls for LL01 or LL04 BMW spec'd oil. I ended up using a 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum Euro L that meets the specs. Felt that this was a little heavier oil and makes me feel a little better. I'll change it again at 10k and see how it looks.
Sponsored