Kill switch installation

aztek

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Pro
Hi, has anyone installed a hidden kill switch on their Supra? I'm thinking of installing one by hooking into one of the fuses (ECU or fuel pump?), but i'm not sure what the best approach is, or if it will affect the warranty.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I would be very concerned installing that on an electronically delicate car like this.. might shock it to death permanently..

Reactions: zrk

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What's the purpose you seek?

As in, someone stole the car and you want to kill the engine with a push of a button possibly causing a massive crash due to "locked steering wheel, locked brakes, locked horn, etc." vehicle coming to an abrupt stop in the middle of the road? while possibly totaling the car?

or you want like a valet mode?

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
When I lived in public housing, I’d keep my 996 turbo in a garage offsite and closer to work so it wouldn’t be stolen.

OP
OP

aztek

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Pro
What's the purpose you seek?
Basically to make it harder to steal. These are the ways that modern cars are stolen.....

- Thieves use a signal booster to boost the key signal range, open the doors. They can then access the OBD port and start the car.

- Thieves break into the home during the night, steal the keys and are then free to drive the car away.

- Car is parked at a supermarket. Thieves block the key fob wireless signal so that an unsuspecting car owner doesn't realise that the car has not locked. They can then access the OBD port.

- Capturing the wireless signal when it is being transmitted. Then replaying the signal when the car owner is out of sight.

- Car jacking. Thieves follow the driver home and force them to hand over the keys.

Having a small hidden switch which disables the fuel pump or similar makes it nearly impossible to steal. They would need to find the switch.

There are several high-tech immobilisers but these are expensive https://www.autodefence.co.uk/immobilisers.html

There are also some low-tech solutions https://www.bespokedonline.com/product-page/anti-theft-immobiliser-secret-switch

So it's definitely do-able....but I'd like to have a go at installing it myself using a fuse piggyback.....but I'm not sure which the best fuse to use is. Maybe the fuel pump one? If not, i'll probably go with one of the CANbus immobilisers.

Thanks.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You are kidding right?
He's not, and I agree with him. Keep your insurance up to date.

I live in Chicago, which is the carjacking capital of the world. There are dozens daily and the stories you hear are nasty. If the car doesn't work, or they otherwise don't like the way things are going, you get shot. A quick google of 'Car Jacking Chicago' will fill it in.

The Supra is a new, $50,000, entry-level sports car. It's not rare or collectible, and certainly not worth your life.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
You just get a new one. Just like toilet paper.

OP
OP

aztek

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Pro
I'm in the UK, and although car jacking does happen, it's far less likely to lead to violence if the thief can't start the car, they will just run. Of course I have fully comprehensive insurance, but I waited 10 months for my Supra and in that 10 months i've not seen a single one on the road. So believe me.......it's rare. As for whether it's expensive, that all depends on your financial status....it may not be to you, but it is to me. And if I can do something small to prevent the shit load of hassle if it gets stolen then I will.

I didn't really want this to be a debate about whether I should get this mod done or not....I already know I want to do it. I just wondered if anyone with some auto electrics knowledge could help me with the details :).

Thanks.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I just wondered if anyone with some auto electrics knowledge could help me with the details :)
I would be very concerned installing that on an electronically delicate car like this.. might shock it to death permanently..
I'm with @puzzled on this one. The only thing I can think of that would "work" is to put the switch on the negative from the battery terminal and kill the car completely. I'd also definitely not do this. Even removing the negative terminal with the car locked will sound the alarm.

I'm still in the camp of 'let it get stolen rather than fuck with the electronics' but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP

aztek

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Pro
I'm with @puzzled on this one. The only thing I can think of that would "work" is to put the switch on the negative from the battery terminal and kill the car completely. I'd also definitely not do this. Even removing the negative terminal with the car locked will sound the alarm.

I'm still in the camp of 'let it get stolen rather than fuck with the electronics' but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP

aztek

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Pro
Thanks for the info, but disconnecting the battery would disable the alarm and my dashcam.

I think i'll just get it done professionally, maybe the Autowatch Ghost.....small price to pay I guess, and like you say.....better than messing with the electronics.
Sponsored