Kill Switches In All New Cars

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Hate to be that guy… but we’ve given up our rights with the advent of technology..
We sign away our rights everyday, it’s the norm now..

I don’t agree with the kill switch bill but in my mind we’re pretty limited on what we (general public) can/will do to stop it..
For most people a vehicle is just an

just my opinion..

Steve

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
There isn’t a single car on the road right now that can properly identify lane boundaries in all conditions (rain, snow, road construction, etc). How on earth is the car going to autonomously determine if the driver is driving properly when the car doesn’t even know where the lanes are?

I see this failing horrifically on day one. Road crews set up some cones and signs to redirect traffic, everyone follows the cones into the new temporary lane on the “wrong” side of the road, and all new cars promptly shut themselves off.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
We the people trust Apple to not hand over any unlocking mechanism of iPhones to the gov. Now, we're willingly giving the keys, our driving patterns, location, etc. of our cars to the inadequate/corrupt/etc. law enforcement agencies with such a loosey goosey worded legislation? wtf!
Talk about cybersecurity. ECU is unlockable, now they want nice little backdoors that probably be hacked in 2 sec in hackathons to be employed to all vehicles. Cool. The TV shows where hacker presses 3 buttons to take control over a car, plane, etc. is going to become real, huh?

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Tell me you don’t understand how law works without telling me you don’t understand how law works. Did anyone replying here with their paranoid bs even read the actual article or did you just read the headline?

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Tell me you don’t understand how law works without telling me you don’t understand law works. Did anyone replying here with their paranoid bs even read the actual article or did you just read the headline?
Seriously. Not only that, but was that article written by a child? It's full of FUD and opinion.

OP
OP
Seahaven

Seahaven

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra and 1997 Mazda Miata
Seriously. Not only that, but was that article written by a child? It's full of FUD and opinion.
I'm personally not happy with the fact that the kill switch was signed into law. I agree the article is poorly written and full of opinion and innuendo. The reality is the law was signed and it's disturbing that a kill switch may very well be in our future vehicles.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm personally not happy with the fact that the kill switch was signed into law. I agree the article is poorly written and full of opinion and innuendo. The reality is the law was signed and it's disturbing that a kill switch may very well be in our future vehicles.
A one second google provides only the post shared, as well as a bunch of well-written, well-researched articles that show what the bill actually says. People read one thing and thing that's the end-all-be-all of everything, even when it's complete fucking bullshit.

Here's an article that explains things: https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-402773429497

Here's the actual language from the infrastructure bill

SEC. 24220. ADVANCED IMPAIRED DRIVING TECHNOLOGY. (a) FINDINGS.—Congress finds that— (1) alcohol-impaired driving fatalities represent approximately 1⁄3 of all highway fatalities in the United States each year; (2) in 2019, there were 10,142 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in the United States involving drivers with a blood alcohol concentration level of .08 or higher, and 68 percent of the crashes that resulted in those fatalities involved a driver with a blood alcohol concentration level of .15 or higher; (3) the estimated economic cost for alcohol-impaired driving in 2010 was $44,000,000,000; (4) according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology can prevent more than 9,400 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities annually; and (5) to ensure the prevention of alcohol-impaired driving fatalities, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology must be standard equipment in all new passenger motor vehicles. (b) DEFINITIONS.—In this section: (1) ADVANCED DRUNK AND IMPAIRED DRIVING PREVENTION TECHNOLOGY.—The term ‘‘advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology’’ means a system that— (A) can— (i) passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired; and (ii) prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected; (B) can— 49 USC 30111 note. Public information. Analysis. Deadlines. 23 USC 503 note. 49 USC 30301 prec. VerDate Sep 11 2014 12:21 Jan 03, 2022 Jkt 029139 PO 00058 Frm 00403 Fmt 6580 Sfmt 6581 E:\PUBLAW\PUBL058.117 PUBL058 whamilton on LAPJF8D0R2PROD with PUBLAW 135 STAT. 832 PUBLIC LAW 117–58—NOV. 15, 2021 (i) passively and accurately detect whether the blood alcohol concentration of a driver of a motor vehicle is equal to or greater than the blood alcohol concentration described in section 163(a) of title 23, United States Code; and (ii) prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if a blood alcohol concentration above the legal limit is detected; or (C) is a combination of systems described in subparagraphs (A) and (B). (2) NEW.—The term ‘‘new’’, with respect to a passenger motor vehicle, means that the passenger motor vehicle— (A) is a new vehicle (as defined in section 37.3 of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations (or a successor regulation)); and (B) has not been purchased for purposes other than resale. (3) PASSENGER MOTOR VEHICLE.—The term ‘‘passenger motor vehicle’’ has the meaning given the term in section 32101 of title 49, United States Code. (4) SECRETARY.—The term ‘‘Secretary’’ means the Secretary of Transportation, acting through the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. (c) ADVANCED DRUNK AND IMPAIRED DRIVING PREVENTION TECHNOLOGY SAFETY STANDARD.—Subject to subsection (e) and not later than 3 years after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a final rule prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires passenger motor vehicles manufactured after the effective date of that standard to be equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology. (d) REQUIREMENT.—To allow sufficient time for manufacturer compliance, the compliance date of the rule issued under subsection (c) shall be not earlier than 2 years and not more than 3 years after the date on which that rule is issued. (e) TIMING.—If the Secretary determines that the Federal motor vehicle safety standard required under subsection (c) cannot meet the requirements and considerations described in subsections (a) and (b) of section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, by the applicable date, the Secretary— (1) may extend the time period to such date as the Secretary determines to be necessary, but not later than the date that is 3 years after the date described in subsection (c); (2) shall, not later than the date described in subsection (c) and not less frequently than annually thereafter until the date on which the rule under that subsection is issued, submit to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives a report describing, as of the date of submission of the report— (A) the reasons for not prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology in all new passenger motor vehicles; (B) the deployment of advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology in vehicles; Reports. Extension. Deadline. Determinations. Compliance. Time period. Deadline. VerDate Sep 11 2014 12:21 Jan 03, 2022 Jkt 029139 PO 00058 Frm 00404 Fmt 6580 Sfmt 6581 E:\PUBLAW\PUBL058.117 PUBL058 whamilton on LAPJF8D0R2PROD with PUBLAW PUBLIC LAW 117–58—NOV. 15, 2021 135 STAT. 833 (C) any information relating to the ability of vehicle manufacturers to include advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology in new passenger motor vehicles; and (D) an anticipated timeline for prescribing the Federal motor vehicle safety standard described in subsection (c); and (3) if the Federal motor vehicle safety standard required by subsection (c) has not been finalized by the date that is 10 years after the date of enactment of this Act, shall submit to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representative a report describing— (A) the reasons why the Federal motor vehicle safety standard has not been finalized; (B) the barriers to finalizing the Federal motor vehicle safety standard; and (C) recommendations to Congress to facilitate the Federal motor vehicle safety standard.
(please forgive formatting, the law is rarely copy/pastable)

Most people will probably be too lazy to read this, but the tl;dr is:

The law allows "about" 3 years to develop standards and propose a recommendation for using technology to deter impaired driving. Once a proposal has been accepted, auto manufactures have 2-3 years to implement it in new cars.

The original article is horseshit misunderstanding of a pretty blatant pork package in a bill that will never be come anything.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hey! It's more fun complaining about random poorly written articles. Now you made it boring 😅

To be equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology....
Ok that makes a little more sense but what? Will they install breathalyzers ? 😂

Many modern cars come with coffee break suggestions. My X6 surely has it. However, if I put on sunglasses it complains that camera is blocked or some shit. Anyhow it's not the only sensor. Surely monitors your steering input...

Yet, drunk is still interesting... However, we always see these vague shit like DUI as means to abuse laws enforcement's reach...

And how is it going to prevent?? It can only suggest stopping or needs to be autonomous driving to pull safely to the shoulder, in that case it'd be pointless. So, I can't see manufacturers being able to implement this technology..

Let's say they install breathalyzers in HVAC system, then it could be measuring anyone in the car...

Ok meh I'm no longer interested in this thing that'll never see the light of day... Boring. Damn it Zach!

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Tell me you don’t understand how law works without telling me you don’t understand how law works. Did anyone replying here with their paranoid bs even read the actual article or did you just read the headline?
I read an article about this bill several months ago and it specifically talked about using GPS and lane-monitoring cameras to do the detection. I assumed that’s what had be signed into law, but it must have been an earlier draft that was later generalized. I am curious how they plan to “passively and accurately detect the blood alcohol concentration of a driver” though.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
GPS... They'd have to upgrade it to GPS 3 or whatever's the latest. Not been reading about it lately.. enough to know current ones are insufficient to detect drunk driving.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I read an article about this bill several months ago and it specifically talked about using GPS and lane-monitoring cameras to do the detection
The bill makes no suggestions towards technology or implementation details. It only suggested that money is set aside for someone (likely someone's brother-in-law) to look into what it will take.

Everything else is nothing.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Jesus christ you people still doubling down on a law that isn't a law yet and something something something written that you all CLEARLY do not understand.

Stop being so paranoid. What made you so paranoid? Do you still dream about Obama taking your cold cuts? Make sure your mailbox is locked so Hillary won't put butter in it.

It is nothing, you don't have to restock your bunkers over this.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I blame @Seahaven for citing a clickbait article 🤣 damn it where did I put my aluminum foil hat.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jesus christ you people still doubling down on a law that isn't a law yet and something something something written that you all CLEARLY do not understand.

Stop being so paranoid. What made you so paranoid? Do you still dream about Obama taking your cold cuts? Make sure your mailbox is locked so Hillary won't put butter in it.

It is nothing, you don't have to restock your bunkers over this.
Hey, I'm with you, brother.
Sponsored