FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Come track out here, they DGAF.

Was an adjustment for me coming from the west coast. Never ran with center caps ever.

Bunch of dudes complained about having to keep their windows down when it was wet out. I was laughing because on the west coast that would equal "we don't care about your interior, keep them down" then I was utterly surprised that the group here allowed them to run with their windows up.

Yes, they where Porsche owners whaaambulancing about their windows being down.
Realize you guys are probably talking about racing rules. But just to clarify HPDG groups renting the track down here, some group you can use turn signals, hence drive with windows up, some groups you canā€™t. All of them you can drive in the rain, it is Florida, and thatā€™s the funnest imo. Itā€™s funny to see how many peeps sit sidelines though. All kinds of excuses, from ruining their cars interior, to youā€™re not supposed to drive on ā€œslicksā€ šŸ™„ šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Realize you guys are probably talking about racing rules. But just to clarify HPDG groups renting the track down here, some group you can use turn signals, hence drive with windows up, some groups you canā€™t. All of them you can drive in the rain, it is Florida, and thatā€™s the funnest imo. Itā€™s funny to see how many peeps sit sidelines though. All kinds of excuses, from ruining their cars interior, to youā€™re not supposed to drive on ā€œslicksā€ šŸ™„ šŸ˜‚
I refuse to do track days in the rain. I'm not in it for points, not getting paid, and I'm usually out to set PBs (that's just what I have fun doing).
But, my #1 reason is this track day. Every time I came around a turn I had to wonder if there was mud dragged on course that was going to cause me to go off. Not fun.
It's hard to tell in the video, but there was mud thrown across my windshield right in My line of sight šŸ˜‚

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I refuse to do track days in the rain. I'm not in it for points, not getting paid, and I'm usually out to set PBs (that's just what I have fun doing).
But, my #1 reason is this track day. Every time I came around a turn I had to wonder if there was mud dragged on course that was going to cause me to go off. Not fun.
It's hard to tell in the video, but there was mud thrown across my windshield right in My line of sight šŸ˜‚

I was waiting for you to spin in that video :oops:. You did perfectly!

The reason I like the rain you get to feel the limits at a much lower speed. Iā€™ve run off all over the place and spun in multiple areas. But Iā€˜ve learned from each one. Derick Bell was hanging out with some of the other pros at an event. Of course I thought I was cool šŸ˜Ž hanging out with the race team. He knew I was out of my place and asked my why I wasnā€™t out there in the rain. Like you, I just want to have fun. My fun level went up 1000% knowing where I can run off, inducing a slide, correcting a slide, passing peeps in the rain on slicksā€¦ but it took practice and going really slow. Now if I get mud, a broken car part, blown tire, oil, water, you name it, I can get myself out of most bad situations. Now when I run off, itā€™s because I was pushing it beyond 100% and I absolutely know when/where I was doing it.

Itā€™s all about personal comfort level. And like you said having fun šŸ¤© If you havenā€™t already done so, the best mod imo is getting a pro driver to ride with you. They eventually turn everything off in your car and absolutely get you driving in the rain. It also helped that I was in a S2K beater. She didnā€™t start out that way but eventually I went dedicated track car with her.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I was waiting for you to spin in that video :oops:. You did perfectly!

The reason I like the rain you get to feel the limits at a much lower speed. Iā€™ve run off all over the place and spun in multiple areas. But Iā€˜ve learned from each one. Derick Bell was hanging out with some of the other pros at an event. Of course I thought I was cool šŸ˜Ž hanging out with the race team. He knew I was out of my place and asked my why I wasnā€™t out there in the rain. Like you, I just want to have fun. My fun level went up 1000% knowing where I can run off, inducing a slide, correcting a slide, passing peeps in the rain on slicksā€¦ but it took practice and going really slow. Now if I get mud, a broken car part, blown tire, oil, water, you name it, I can get myself out of most bad situations. Now when I run off, itā€™s because I was pushing it beyond 100% and I absolutely know when/where I was doing it.

Itā€™s all about personal comfort level. And like you said having fun šŸ¤© If you havenā€™t already done so, the best mod imo is getting a pro driver to ride with you. They eventually turn everything off in your car and absolutely get you driving in the rain. It also helped that I was in a S2K beater. She didnā€™t start out that way but eventually I went dedicated track car with her.
I absolutely understand why other people like doing track days in the rain. Honestly, if I ran with a group where nobody went off or there was a water truck to clear the track in between, I would be down. I'm just not into the mud fest. It's not the rain that I mind but mud.
The clip above is part of a longer video. During the full video you can see us drifting all over the course, laugh after lap. Mud plus tires with basically no tread equals death lol speaking of nannies, I don't think I've ever done a track day with any on. They make the car FAR to unpredictable, IMO.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I've been tracking for 20+ years and I'm over rainy track days. It's just not fun to me anymore. I avoid them. Maybe I'm a snowflake.

Now snow is a different story, I like a big arse rooster tail like nobody's business.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I've been tracking for 20+ years and I'm over rainy track days. It's just not fun to me anymore. I avoid them. Maybe I'm a snowflake.

Now snow is a different story, I like a big arse rooster tail like nobody's business.
But it teaches you to be a better driver.
I know, me too.
If I want to drive freeway speeds, I'll hop in the daily.

Yalemaier

First Name
Yale
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Setup question: Thoughts on a squared set of APEX SM-10 18ā€ ET30 wheels with 275/35/18 Conti Extremecontact Force tires on STOCK suspension as a TRACK setup. Would plan on running 5mm spacer to mitigate tire deflection. Would that size be obnoxiously small for a stock suspension car? Thanks!!!

kyle9

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra - Gridlife StreetMod #29, '23 B48 Supra
Setup question: Thoughts on a squared set of APEX SM-10 18ā€ ET30 wheels with 275/35/18 Conti Extremecontact Force tires on STOCK suspension as a TRACK setup. Would plan on running 5mm spacer to mitigate tire deflection. Would that size be obnoxiously small for a stock suspension car? Thanks!!!
Those are non-forged wheels. For the track I would recommend one of their forged sets or Titan7 forged for only a little more $. Way more durable and lighter.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Spacers for tire deflection? Those tires are a bit shorter than what the car normally runs. Your speedo/mileage will be off a bit. Most of us run 275/40. As long as the spacer provides enough distance to not rub on your front springs, you are good to go!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thatā€™s what I use. Love em! Did my 1st track day (in this car) on them with only sway bars and springs. Was a beautiful thingā€¦ I have some SPL bits now and coilovers in the future. Will still run with that size due to the tire availability and my sweet tooth for Maxxis tires on track.

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
Thoughts and input on a hypothetical 18" square setup? Looking at getting a proper summer setup started since the weather is starting to warm up and I can get off my 3-seasons A/S set. Otherwise I'd be just going with another set of 255/35/19 & 285/35/19 PS4S on a second set of OEM wheels.

Titan 7 S5's squared 18", PS4S tires in 285/40/18 (no 275/40 offering) with a 13-15mm spacer as required for clearance, and a mild spacer for the rear to get it flush.

I don't track my car, only canyon carving, and daily my vehicle. I may do the occasional random track session if a friend manages to drag me up and handle all the prep. I wish to keep all of the suspension entirely OEM, and I'm also at factory ride height since I need the clearance for zoom zoom in the canyons. These would be a strictly summer setup that I'd rotate out back to my 3-seasons DWS06+ setup when autumn starts.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Thoughts and input on a hypothetical 18" square setup? Looking at getting a proper summer setup started since the weather is starting to warm up and I can get off my 3-seasons A/S set. Otherwise I'd be just going with another set of 255/35/19 & 285/35/19 PS4S on a second set of OEM wheels.

Titan 7 S5's squared 18", PS4S tires in 285/40/18 (no 275/40 offering) with a 13-15mm spacer as required for clearance, and a mild spacer for the rear to get it flush.

I don't track my car, only canyon carving, and daily my vehicle. I may do the occasional random track session if a friend manages to drag me up and handle all the prep. I wish to keep all of the suspension entirely OEM, and I'm also at factory ride height since I need the clearance for zoom zoom in the canyons. These would be a strictly summer setup that I'd rotate out back to my 3-seasons DWS06+ setup when autumn starts.
My advice, keeping in mind that I'm a minimalist and only modify something on a car when it becomes necessary.... is to just leave the OEM wheels and go with a better tire. Those of us that go to a square setup ONLY do so because it works well on a race track and we can rotate tires between sessions.
From the way it sounds, you won't notice any difference in performance; you won't be pushing the car to it's limits. If you did overdo things, it's probably safer to run the staggard size, that way the car is prone to understeer instead of over.
Again, my advice is based on that fact that I never throw parts at a car without reason and given the type of driving you will be doing. As a bonus, the OEM sizes should be a bit cheaper than trying to fit monster tires on all four corners.
If you want to just run wide wheels and tires because it looks neat, then kindly disregard everything I just posted because it obviously does not apply in any way LOL. But be CAREFUL pushing a car with the understeer somewhat tuned out. It's going to be a different animal.

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
My advice, keeping in mind that I'm a minimalist and only modify something on a car when it becomes necessary.... is to just leave the OEM wheels and go with a better tire. Those of us that go to a square setup ONLY do so because it works well on a race track and we can rotate tires between sessions.
From the way it sounds, you won't notice any difference in performance; you won't be pushing the car to it's limits. If you did overdo things, it's probably safer to run the staggard size, that way the car is prone to understeer instead of over.
Again, my advice is based on that fact that I never throw parts at a car without reason and given the type of driving you will be doing. As a bonus, the OEM sizes should be a bit cheaper than trying to fit monster tires on all four corners.
If you want to just run wide wheels and tires because it looks neat, then kindly disregard everything I just posted because it obviously does not apply in any way LOL. But be CAREFUL pushing a car with the understeer somewhat tuned out. It's going to be a different animal.
I originally ran a separate set of PS4S on OEM wheels, but found the front end to be a little plow-y even with a moderately aggressive street alignment, and when running in the canyons the understeer was definitely sticking it's nose out and causing me to have some skittish moments.

I'd also like the option to eventually start tracking the car since a close friend has been bugging me since I got the car to take it out to the track with him, and even offering to handle the prep for me, hence the interest in running a squared 18. The cost of consumables is not really a huge concern for me since I don't have any other real vices, and since I'm not a track rat, it won't be as serious as some of you folks are.

As mentioned, just trying to get an idea of how the fitment and characteristics would be, otherwise I'd just grab another set of PS4S tires for my second set of OEM wheels.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I originally ran a separate set of PS4S on OEM wheels, but found the front end to be a little plow-y even with a moderately aggressive street alignment, and when running in the canyons the understeer was definitely sticking it's nose out and causing me to have some skittish moments.

I'd also like the option to eventually start tracking the car since a close friend has been bugging me since I got the car to take it out to the track with him, and even offering to handle the prep for me, hence the interest in running a squared 18. The cost of consumables is not really a huge concern for me since I don't have any other real vices, and since I'm not a track rat, it won't be as serious as some of you folks are.

As mentioned, just trying to get an idea of how the fitment and characteristics would be, otherwise I'd just grab another set of PS4S tires for my second set of OEM wheels.

Okay, but you've been warned: once you take a car to the racetrack, you can forget about ever having extra money in your pocket again. It will consume you, you'll be addicted, and you will do dirty favors to support the habit.

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Looking for advice on fitment and clearance.

I ordered a set of 18X10 +36 for a square setup.

I'm either planning on running 275/40R18 or 265/40R18, this is on stock suspension and stock height.

The manufacturer says I need to run a 5mm spacer up front in order for the spoke to clear the brake caliper. My concern is if I decide to run 275/40R18 square, will the 5mm spacer be enough, or do I need to get a 10mm spacer instead to clear the suspension components? Also, has anyone run 265/40R18 square on the track? Just want to know if there's any difference between running 265/40R18 and 275/40R18 on the track.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored