• Total voters

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I think most of us are on the same page as far as wanting the rear wheel vent. Not only does it look cool (and few cars have these nowadays) but it pays its respects to the MKIV which is what all us old farts really want tbh.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
considering the rear quarter proportions are similar to the C7 and we see how laughably small of an area they had to work with (unlike the amount of space the FT1 provided), I wouldn't want the vent to come out as small and insignificant as the one on the C7 Z06...regardless of how many fake panels might be on the mule, it can't hide everything like the length of the door/side skirt. no vents in its current iteration for me as long as the lines follow the FT1's.. remember, all the real supras (and the ft1) were 2+2s, there was always ample space between the door and the wheel so we can't expect them to transplant all the FT1 details when they aren't even using the same proportions

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I wouldn't mind if it turns out like the red render. It seems to be a good balance between the concept and prototype.

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I think people just expected a little to much after seeing the concept. I bet if they were to make it pretty similar to the FT1 it would have cost somewhere between the $375k LFA and $92k LC.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I think people just expected a little to much after seeing the concept. I bet if they were to make it pretty similar to the FT1 it would have cost somewhere between the $375k LFA and $92k LC.
it will indeed be a little bit of a let down..but if the german designers can manage to pull it off to some degree, then props to them. I was really hyped about the FT1's chances especially with the way the LC turned out..

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Two feet
With the price of this car to be speculated at, I'd rather whatever amount of vents needed that are not fake.
The most recent fake offender would be the Honda type R and most the entire front of the new NSX.

In fact, I don't know how we got to an era where every car has fake vents and ducts, But I'd like it to be a thing of the past.

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
it will indeed be a little bit of a let down..but if the german designers can manage to pull it off to some degree, then props to them. I was really hyped about the FT1's chances especially with the way the LC turned out..
In the beginning I was just like you. I had real high hopes of them pulling another 'LC'. Than the mule and prototypes were spotted, and that is when reality hit. I'm not going to lie. I was a little disappointed at first. Than people made renderings base on the prototype and IMO they didn't look that bad. I think we will be getting FT1 inspired styling cues over the MKIV's proportion. Hopefully the real thing will look good and we will get a sneak peak in a few months at Tokyo.

@Craigy summed it up pretty good on the other thread.

A smaller car drives better. The concept was grossed up for stage presence, not for driving dynamics or passenger comfort.

bogglo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus GS
The LC sent everybody to a dreamland. That was the same reason lot of people were a little disappointed with the LS me included, because we were expecting the LS concept to make it to production. The LC made everyone believe all future Toyota concept car would make it to production un-altered then reality kicks in and we are disappointed. But who knows, maybe this car could be the LC of the Toyota line up with a very sexy look close enough to the concept.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
In the beginning I was just like you. I had real high hopes of them pulling another 'LC'. Than the mule and prototypes were spotted, and that is when reality hit. I'm not going to lie. I was a little disappointed at first. Than people made renderings base on the prototype and IMO they didn't look that bad. I think we will be getting FT1 inspired styling cues over the MKIV's proportion. Hopefully the real thing will look good and we will get a sneak peak in a few months at Tokyo.

@Craigy summed it up pretty good on the other thread.
to be clear...

....proportion =/= size

obviously a lighter and smaller car would be a better driver's car...but Toyota teamed up with BMW here, not Mazda or Lotus. When was the last time BMW had a coupe under 3000 lbs? Even the carbon fiber & aluminum i8 is 3500 lbs, and that only has a 1.5!...could you imagine what the Supra would weigh with the supposed 6 cylinder hybrid powertrain everyone wants along with less exotic chassis materials? At this point I would be very surprised if this 2 seater Supra ends up being lighter than any version of the MK4... While some people here are appalled at possibly driving a 3300-3400 lbs 2 seater, as long as the majority of the development money goes towards the powertrain, then in my eyes that is totally acceptable since I think the 86 fills the role as the handling champ (akin to the AE86 & MK2). The Supra was Japanese muscle, it was never trying to be a go kart..

The LC sent everybody to a dreamland. That was the same reason lot of people were a little disappointed with the LS me included, because we were expecting the LS concept to make it to production. The LC made everyone believe all future Toyota concept car would make it to production un-altered then reality kicks in and we are disappointed. But who knows, maybe this car could be the LC of the Toyota line up with a very sexy look close enough to the concept.
To be fair I don't think Lexus wanted to alienate their normal LS market who I'm sure is mainly older men who probably have a driver and don't want to stand out. Brand perception is so tough to shed and create..nearly nobody in the full size luxury sedan segment looking for the more exciting choice would think twice about having a L on their bumpers..

With the price of this car to be speculated at, I'd rather whatever amount of vents needed that are not fake.
The most recent fake offender would be the Honda type R and most the entire front of the new NSX.

In fact, I don't know how we got to an era where every car has fake vents and ducts, But I'd like it to be a thing of the past.
styling is styling...virtually every single grill design out there is much, much larger than the actual intake..not sure what era of automobiles you're referring to where cars don't have fake vents/ducts? hell, if you really want to go down that path, what about body lines, blacked out diffusers, head & taillight designs, etc...most stuff on any car is stylized beyond its function. fake vents look cool when done right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
to be clear...

....proportion =/= size

obviously a lighter and smaller car would be a better driver's car...but Toyota teamed up with BMW here, not Mazda or Lotus. When was the last time BMW had a coupe under 3000 lbs? Even the carbon fiber & aluminum i8 is 3500 lbs, and that only has a 1.5!...could you imagine what the Supra would weigh with the supposed 6 cylinder hybrid powertrain everyone wants along with less exotic chassis materials? At this point I would be very surprised if this 2 seater Supra ends up being lighter than any version of the MK4... While some people here are appalled at possibly driving a 3300-3400 lbs 2 seater, as long as the majority of the development money goes towards the powertrain, then in my eyes that is totally acceptable since I think the 86 fills the role as the handling champ (akin to the AE86 & MK2). The Supra was Japanese muscle, it was never trying to be a go kart..
It does appear to be similar in size to the MK4.

The only thing I can compare it to would be the Z4M coupe which came in at 3,230 lbs. The new CLAR platform has shaved off weight in BMW's newer models. Also BMW has done a better job at keep weight down than Lexus. Look no farther than the M4 vs RC-F. The i8 is also larger and comes with a hybrid battery. Everyone keeps talking about a hybrid model, but to date none has been spotted. At the same time the Supra also wasn't meant to be a super heavy 4,000lb+ brick.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
It does appear to be similar in size to the MK4.

The only thing I can compare it to would be the Z4M coupe which came in at 3,230 lbs. The new CLAR platform has shaved off weight in BMW's newer models. Also BMW has done a better job at keep weight down than Lexus. Look no farther than the M4 vs RC-F. The i8 is also larger and comes with a hybrid battery. Everyone keeps talking about a hybrid model, but to date none has been spotted. At the same time the Supra also wasn't meant to be a super heavy 4,000lb+ brick.
of course, BMW should feature more advanced & dynamic chassis, that is their brand expectation so the m4's advantages shouldn't have been a surprise..i get the i8 is a little different, the point was its system and advanced materials at that price point can't make it any lighter than a m4 so the supra's expectations should be rightsized.