MKV Supra in Detail: Models, Engines, Transmission, Colors, Interiors, Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
We really don't know any of that yet. The LS has always shared an engine block with the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, LX, etc. If Toyota is using that 3.5L V6 as their workhorse V8 replacement, it could very well become a "Toyota" engine as well.

FWIW, for as much as Toyota wants it to seem that Lexus is their own corporate identity, they are not. Almost all of the large scale engineering decisions about engines and architecture are made at the Toyota Global level and then handed down to Toyota/Lexus to finish at their BU level.
Just did an estimate of power to weight on my free time.

The highest trim supra supposedly only gets beaten by the corvette and all the higher spec muscle cars.
255HP trim is 10.58
335HP trim gets 8.65
Corvette is at 7.24
Cayman is 9.81
All the muscle cars at higher trims averaging 8.00

If this 30i was price around 25k, this would destroy the 86 into oblivion, but also have a better performing car at that price point and rival the 370z, which might make Nissan kick their ass into high gear to upgrade the 370z.

The highest Supra IF priced at 45-47k, would edge out the Cayman at a lower price point with similar interior quality and performance quality.

We can always be glad about the Civic Type R, but it's base come from a 18k car with 17k worth of performance tacked into the engine and suspension, not so much in interior quality or ride quality. Forgot the quote, but a porsche is 52k worth of car through and through with no compromise . You have to recall that by this point, those with money are the ones buying it, not teenagers looking to live out their racing fantasies, they'll want the majority of the car to be at a certian standard.

Now, this is what I would price the cars at.

But it's impossible.

If it's 40-60k as leaked....
:lol:

MKV will be the last generation
Sponsored

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
The BMW B58 and 48 engines are good actually and their power levels are understated , but for me it is not only about the HP or the lightness of the car . The thing that dissapointed me the most is how cheap this all feels , it is ok to share some things and to make joint research on things to reduce the costs , that is reasonable . But to just reskin a z4 and name it supra is a parody .

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
They could have at least given us the 300hp B48 and the 355hp B58. It would be really sad if a riced out Civic out perform any trim levels of the new 'Supra'. :rofl:

Nati Beastcat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1977 FJ40 Landcruiser - 1987 Buick Grand National
I feel like people need to calm down with the HP numbers. Unless you can't take a corner properly and your idea of driving is just flooring it on a straight line, a car can still be super fun to drive with only 335 hp yessss. Especially if its light. Weight reduction impacts acceleration, responsiveness, handling and much more. Needless to say that horselpower numbers do not really reflect the engines behavior through out the rev range, it's just a marketing tool that let's you know the PEAK hp. Will you only be driving your supra at peak hp ?? I'm enrolled in mechanical engineering studies and it itches me how a lot of us use peak hp as ground of comparison to evuate a cars performance. Power wise what really matters is the area under the curve of the hp and torque lines with respect to the RPMs. Remember that peak HP doesnt reflect your engines torque and responsivnes at 2000 rpm, it doesnt reflect its ability to remain stable in a high speed corner, it doesnt reflect much more than contextless numbers used for pissing contests lol. Let's just all hold our judgements and critics untill after we've actually driven the damn thing..
Like most other males in this country I'm trying to compensate for something... GIVE ME HP Toyota!! :)

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
Only reason why is that I'm sure Toyota has their own track that is closed circuit and private property where no one can leak it. Yet, they can test out all those cars out on the street because they are lower leveled trims. We can all be complaining and they see the comments and ar eprobably laughing their assess off.

But it is a theory, a wishful thinking.
This track does exist (it's called the Shibetsu Proving Ground) and it's a very secretive location where Toyota/Lexus tests its prototype high-performance vehicles (e.g. Lexus LFA and LC500). I have no doubt that Toyota has a Supra mule or two being tested to its limits at this location (especially with camouflaged mules already spotted in Japan).

http://blog.lexus.co.uk/shibetsu-how-to-test-drive-a-car/

shibetsu-feature.jpg

shibetsu-566-5.jpg

Shibetsu-17.jpg

shibetsu-566-4.jpg

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I am doubtful of a true MKIV Supra successor, however, I feel like Toyota won’t completely let us down with a halo car. Sure they delivered an underpowered Frankenstein GT-86, but if you think about it....what did you expect out of a $26k entry level sports car? I mean, the AE86 was an underpowered two door Corolla back in the 80’s, and now (30yrs later) it’s the choice of car for top drifters....it too was cheap to buy.

The Supra on the other hand has always pushed the envelope of technology and performance....not because it’s called a Supra, but because it’s always been Toyota’s halo sports car when there was no other performance focus in the company....remember, the Lexus F brand didn’t exist yet. The Supra was Toyota’s pinnacle of performance engineering. Fast forward to 2008+ and the Lexus brand is now more profitable than the Toyota brand...sportier, higher quality, etc... Toyota top engineers can’t be focusing their pricey time and efforts on a $50k sports car, they will be focusing on their high-end Lexus division that “spares no expense”....basically what Toyota was in the 90’s! Have any of you noticed just how similar the LFA and Supra look?....it’s like the LFA is a modern rendition of a Supra. That’s because it is, and in order to make another great Supra it needed to cost like a Lexus and not a Toyota in today’s market! That is why Toyota (not Lexus) is collaborating with other brands...to make as much profit with as little engineering time needed because the Toyota brand is not worth “Supra engineering” money anymore.

So, as much as you or I would love to see a MKIV Supra successor, the reality is it’s just not possible in today’s economic climate. Toyota knows it’s Supra brand is potentially worth good money and at the same time their Lexus F brand is proven to be good money. Either way, Lexus is Toyota’s number one priority....they won’t shoot themselves in the foot over a Supra nameplate.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am doubtful of a true MKIV Supra successor, however, I feel like Toyota won’t completely let us down with a halo car. Sure they delivered an underpowered Frankenstein GT-86, but if you think about it....what did you expect out of a $26k entry level sports car? I mean, the AE86 was an underpowered two door Corolla back in the 80’s, and now (30yrs later) it’s the choice of car for top drifters....it too was cheap to buy.

The Supra on the other hand has always pushed the envelope of technology and performance....not because it’s called a Supra, but because it’s always been Toyota’s halo sports car when there was no other performance focus in the company....remember, the Lexus F brand didn’t exist yet. The Supra was Toyota’s pinnacle of performance engineering. Fast forward to 2008+ and the Lexus brand is now more profitable than the Toyota brand...sportier, higher quality, etc... Toyota top engineers can’t be focusing their pricey time and efforts on a $50k sports car, they will be focusing on their high-end Lexus division that “spares no expense”....basically what Toyota was in the 90’s! Have any of you noticed just how similar the LFA and Supra look?....it’s like the LFA is a modern rendition of a Supra. That’s because it is, and in order to make another great Supra it needed to cost like a Lexus and not a Toyota in today’s market! That is why Toyota (not Lexus) is collaborating with other brands...to make as much profit with as little engineering time needed because the Toyota brand is not worth “Supra engineering” money anymore.

So, as much as you or I would love to see a MKIV Supra successor, the reality is it’s just not possible in today’s economic climate. Toyota knows it’s Supra brand is potentially worth good money and at the same time their Lexus F brand is proven to be good money. Either way, Lexus is Toyota’s number one priority....they won’t shoot themselves in the foot over a Supra nameplate.
Can not fight with their own brand via the lexus rcf and what not, has to not fight for sales

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
Hmmm.. I just checked the Toyota website and built myself an GT86 premium with every sexy option (1600 dollar wheels, performance exhaust, trd lowering springs, swaybar, the whole ball of wax - it came out to $33,700.

What if base model with no accessories cost roughly$36K-$40K to price itself in range of the WRX STI/370Z Nismo, with higher models reaching at or just above the previously mentioned 55K-60K corvette/cayman? The Lexus RCF starts at 63K-65K, so bridging the gap between the 34K GT 86 Premium and the 64K base model RCF might be something to think about? Maybe?

Man I can't wait for Geneva, I'm itching lol.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport

Quite correct , but for america . In all other markets it is the complete opposite and lexus barely sells anything. This year all financial data point towards nissan-renault alliance to be top dogs , and if a 100k nissan can sell and promote the brand like crazy , i don't understand how a 50-60k toyota supra won't do the same and better since toyota has much more resouces than nissan of 2007 which was still recovering. The thing is toyota has the resouces and the heritage to make a true supra successor . The GTR was and still is a bargain for performance , also it is a car that stayed true to the Skylines of the past , and many kids have the goal of owning one when they can buy a car . For example the same cannot be said for 370z , and not because it is cheaper , but because the car is not faster or lighter or more practical than competitors . I mean a 30k camaro with 4 seats is only a fraction heavier than the 370z and also faster.

zigzagz94

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ, 3g Eclipse
There's been a lot of gnashing of teeth over the BMW "sourced" engine. I think a lot can be extrapolated from how Toyota handled the GT86 project with Subaru. They didn't just drag and drop whatever 2.0L NA engine Subaru had laying around in the parts bin. They reworked that engine and were able to massage another roughly 50hp out of it. I'm assuming based on what A70TTR has been telling us that the same thing is being done with the BMW transplant.

I'm not worried about the engine...the lack of manual on the other hand has me pissed.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.