MKV Supra in Detail: Models, Engines, Transmission, Colors, Interiors, Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
If the Bimmerpost info is correct, the Supra is going to be a different class of car this time around - a modestly powered, relatively lightweight sports car, rather than a high-powered GT (going by modern standards). While this may upset some fans hoping to see the Supra heritage strictly followed, I think Toyota's realized that there is a currently-empty niche for a hardtop sportscar in the $40-55k US range for which the Supra looks to be right on target based on this info.

Judging from reviewers' comments in various sports/performance car reviews over the past few years, as well as reader feedback, there appears to be a pent-up demand in the market for a RWD sportscar that is cheaper than the Cayman and the Corvette, lighter and more agile than the 370Z (and with more up to date technology), and more powerful and a bit more upscale than the twins. Toyota's marketing research probably came to the same conclusion a few years ago, which was likely a major factor in getting the car green-lighted.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K_Phamo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MZ3
If the Bimmerpost info is correct, the Supra is going to be a different class of car this time around - a modestly powered, relatively lightweight sports car, rather than a high-powered GT (going by modern standards). While this may upset some fans hoping to see the Supra heritage strictly followed, I think Toyota's realized that there is a currently-empty niche for a hardtop sportscar in the $40-55k US range for which the Supra looks to be right on target based on this info.

Judging from reviewers' comments in various sports/performance car reviews over the past few years, as well as reader feedback, there appears to be a pent-up demand in the market for a RWD sportscar that is cheaper than the Cayman and the Corvette, lighter and more agile than the 370Z (and with more up to date technology), and more powerful and a bit more upscale than the twins. Toyota's marketing research probably came to the same conclusion a few years ago, which was likely a major factor in getting the car green-lighted.
These rumoured pricing figures have me a bit worried. 45-55K USD = 50-68.8K CAD. Comparatively, the 370Z starts at 29K CAD, the Cayman starts at 62K CAD, and the Corvette starts at 64.9K CAD. If it's closer to 50K CAD, getting the new Supra could be justifiable, but anywhere in the 60's becomes a hard sell. I'm really hope this isn't the case though.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Personally feel the 255 HP car to just be a glorified 86 because there is no way they are selling that thing for more than 35k with only an automatic.

If it is the same weight, I think people would walk right over the 86 to get the 255 version if reasonably priced. The car the ft86 community wished for but never gotten.

To call it a supra is a different story.

If that 335 hp car is priced at 47k, i think it will start cannibalizing the Cayman sales if it is mimicking a 911 feel.

But again, never underestimate Toyota's ability to disappoint.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
lol everyone saying this is top tier, last time I check the Z4 wasn't top teir of BMW, It was just their Roadster, a Miata in the stable. People can say the Corvette is top teir for Chevy too, but it's not the stingray it's the ZR1. In this case it's probably this Supra or whatever it is, is the Stingray in the stable. But the GR car is the top Tier, not affordable crazy HP race car that most people imagine the Supra will be. Which in and of it's own is totally ok.

Don't get too crazy about things just yet. someone also mentioned 365hp from a Kia, yeah that's true I mean the Camry is 300 Hp in this day and age, but that Kia weights alot more. Remember a Miata at 155hp is competitive and at times better than a 86. Weight plays a big part.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
lol everyone saying this is top tier, last time I check the Z4 wasn't top teir of BMW, It was just their Roadster, a Miata in the stable. People can say the Corvette is top teir for Chevy too, but it's not the stingray it's the ZR1. In this case it's probably this Supra or whatever it is, is the Stingray in the stable. But the GR car is the top Tier, not affordable crazy HP race car that most people imagine the Supra will be. Which in and of it's own is totally ok.

Don't get too crazy about things just yet. someone also mentioned 365hp from a Kia, yeah that's true I mean the Camry is 300 Hp in this day and age, but that Kia weights alot more. Remember a Miata at 155hp is competitive and at times better than a 86. Weight plays a big part.
Not to mention that there comes a point when constantly increasing HP figures for every new model because an exercise in futility. Why do people feel entitled to enormous amounts of horsepower from the factory? If that's what you want, go aftermarket. As you said, weight is also an important performance factor.

Also, if the automatic transmission is faster than the manual, it begs the question, what exactly are people looking for in a manual transmission? Let the technological advancements take over please.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not to mention that there comes a point when constantly increasing HP figures for every new model because an exercise in futility. Why do people feel entitled to enormous amounts of horsepower from the factory? If that's what you want, go aftermarket. As you said, weight is also an important performance factor.

Also, if the automatic transmission is faster than the manual, it begs the question, what exactly are people looking for in a manual transmission? Let the technological advancements take over please.
I need manual.

How else am I going to mimick the limitless up and downshifts from Fast and Furious?

There are people stuck in their ways and just trying to follow the crowd. I do not think those crying for the manual had the money for a top of the line supra in the first place. Bring on the auto if it is anything like the 86's, with better response time please.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?

Honestly, I think alot of answers comes from Nostalgia, people want a MKIV with Modern stuff (car play/ Android auto) TO be able to purchase them again etc. And honestly these cars are good because people mod them they're legendary because of the engine and people remember em for the manual and engine etc. The new one changes this whole formula, and It just makes people aggressive. It's also the reason for alot of things we have now, lots of media talks about the 80s because of nostalgia.

and people forget, there's asking for something New, which they want to be like their old, with a sense of it being more modern.

kinda a hypocrite outlook tbh.

I don't have an issue with what this car would be Id like a targa, but it's not something that's gonna happen imma not cry about it tho.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
I need manual.

How else am I going to mimick the limitless up and downshifts from Fast and Furious?

There are people stuck in their ways and just trying to follow the crowd. I do not think those crying for the manual had the money for a top of the line supra in the first place. Bring on the auto if it is anything like the 86's, with better response time please.

Furthermore, I think the BMW inline 6 is outstanding, modern, and light weight. The only problem with BMW as a brand (any luxury car maker really) is that they charge you an arm and a leg for maintenance/parts/labor once their warranty expires. That problem is remedied by the fact that we know toyota has some of the lowest maintenance costs and some of the best reliability scores. I think it's a match made in heaven.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Honestly, I think alot of answers comes from Nostalgia, people want a MKIV with Modern stuff (car play/ Android auto) TO be able to purchase them again etc. And honestly these cars are good because people mod them they're legendary because of the engine and people remember em for the manual and engine etc. The new one changes this whole formula, and It just makes people aggressive. It's also the reason for alot of things we have now, lots of media talks about the 80s because of nostalgia.

and people forget, there's asking for something New, which they want to be like their old, with a sense of it being more modern.

kinda a hypocrite outlook tbh.

I don't have an issue with what this car would be Id like a targa, but it's not something that's gonna happen imma not cry about it tho.
Ya I agree about the nostalgia, but let's be realistic here. The old supra formula was not generating the revenue to justify it's existence.

However, this new formula may be economical enough to warrant the existence of the Supra for a lot longer. Whose to say they won't add HP/manual down the line when the profits justify it?

Let me be clear here.....the worst thing to happen to the Supra brand is not a BMW engine and automatic transmission...it's the discontinuation of the model from 98 till today...

Keep that in mind

The longer a car stays on production, the better it becomes over time. Just take a look at the Mustang and Camero.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Personally feel the 255 HP car to just be a glorified 86 because there is no way they are selling that thing for more than 35k with only an automatic.

If it is the same weight, I think people would walk right over the 86 to get the 255 version if reasonably priced. The car the ft86 community wished for but never gotten.
If this is coming to the US; I think it may kill the 86's sale.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I feel this may kill the 86.
I have the 86, and I would not mind it dying. Would be sad, but Subaru's philosphy does not follow Toyota's at the moment when it comes to spirited driving. Still backpacking off the wrx of yesteryears.

Hopefully the Mazda cooperation or this new car comes as a replacement. Bmw is about luxury and performance.

Just give me straight performance for a new 86 successor. For a similar price mind you.

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
Ya I agree about the nostalgia, but let's be realistic here. The old supra formula was not generating the revenue to justify it's existence.

However, this new formula may be economical enough to warrant the existence of the Supra for a lot longer. Whose to say they won't add HP/manual down the line when the profits justify it?

Let me be clear here.....the worst thing to happen to the Supra brand is not a BMW engine and automatic transmission...it's the discontinuation of the model from 98 till today...

Keep that in mind

The longer a car stays on production, the better it becomes over time. Just take a look at the Mustang and Camero.

THIS. The two things that initially lost me were the lack of a manual trans and the BMW over-influence... two things I absolutely did not want and would cause my interest to stay within the MKIV market only. That said, you’re completely correct here. It’s difficult to make a cohesive and believable “next gen” that builds on the previous model’s legacy when you’ve had 20 years of nothing. The MKIV wasn’t a top seller in its day so from a market perspective not influenced by emotion, I can see why Toyota might be a little financially cautious with this project.

....still doesn’t make me happy or want a MKV of course, but it is what it is. Looking forward to more concrete details later this year from Toyota.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Say that to these people and be downvoted to oblivion

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I think this an odd siutation where many of us, me included, are emotionally relying/reacting to forum comments from a different brand. The info could be accurate (I sure hope it isnt) but we wont know for a while yet. The sooner we get real facts directly from Toyota the better!

turboflgrl

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra 6spd hardtop & 93 Miata
As someone whose husband has a 6spd MKIV and father owns a C7 Z06 with paddle shifters.... a manual is important to me. For lack of a Fast and Furious quote as this will inevitably be compared to that mentality, I like having a real clutch and like actually feeling myself shift/drive. Automatics are always faster but that doesn’t make them more fun (or at least not to everyone). It all comes down to what you desire more in a car and if getting there the fastest is your primary goal (like it is with my father), an automatic absolutely makes sense. Just like the TH400 swaps in the MKIV - they were done for that very reason.... speed, time, and consistency. For me and I’m sure several others, I’m not on a drag strip every weekend so a manual makes sense for my needs.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.