MKV Supra in Detail: Models, Engines, Transmission, Colors, Interiors, Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Do you really think they won't bring it over here? I mean we're just the 2nd largest market for the MK4 after all... What they said was the Gazoo/GRMN name wasn't making it too the US. It could just be called something else over here.

Look at the whole picture. That thing comes in at 3,829 lbs.
I hear ya but is it bad optics for me.... we are all counting the weight comes in a low/light as we want but there are no guarantees, fingers crossed...
Sponsored

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I'm not going to lie, 335hp doesn't sound too exciting. But I suspect still is going to be a better buy than the base Cayman. Heck, it may even give the Cayman S a run for its money.

Chuck Mason

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 4Runner TRD Off Road
The 2018 Camry V6 has more HP than the middle model Supra, WOW!!! To say that I am disappointed would be an understatement.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I hope this is an early April's fool joke lol. :rofl:

you have to realize that even if credible, rumors are rumors even from me... Toyota and BMW are going to continue to do whatever they feel like and eventually we will be able to see their vision.

until then, a lot of things are up in the air and will continue to be until the cars are released (mostly things that can be changed like power levels, tires, brake pads, shiftmaps, options, etc).
X2, on a serious note let's wait for official numbers before freaking out.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I hope this is an early April's fool joke lol. :rofl:

X2, on a serious note let's wait for official numbers before freaking out.
Agreed Supra93...strongly hoping this is a joke or fake news or just misinformation, you can see the negative comments piling up...

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
If all these are true i feel the head engineer should be just moved to engineer things that are less emotionally engaging cars . The subaru -toyota collab was one of many compromises , one of them being that the car feels gutless and also it rides on subaru platform , it has a subaru engine , interior etc. When i heard that a new supra was being developed i thought because it is going to be the flagship sport model , toyota will be actively involved in the development process , providing powertrain options like engines and/or hybrid batteries , and for god's sake make the car different from the bmw . I mean can you blame anyone that wants a MKV supra and instead they get a z4 coupe .

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
If all these are true i feel the head engineer should be just moved to engineer things that are less emotionally engaging cars . The subaru -toyota collab was one of many compromises , one of them being that the car feels gutless and also it rides on subaru platform , it has a subaru engine , interior etc. When i heard that a new supra was being developed i thought because it is going to be the flagship sport model , toyota will be actively involved in the development process , providing powertrain options like engines and/or hybrid batteries , and for god's sake make the car different from the bmw . I mean can you blame anyone that wants a MKV supra and instead they get a z4 coupe .
Totally agree, I want my Supra a Supra!

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
Toyota is playing 4Dimensional chess and has you all fooled. They know that nothing they make can live up to the rep/hype of the MKIV/A80, so they're releasing underwhelming bullshit to pre-disappoint everyone. Then WHAM, something lightweight like 3000 +/- with 565 hp and some 10 speed co developed bullshit transmission that will soon also be used in the i8.

There's your REAL leaks. Thank me later.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
I cant handle this emotional rollercoaster much longer...lol I am pumped about the Supra I am disappointed about the new Supra...please lets get the real facts soon...

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
I cant handle this emotional rollercoaster much longer...lol I am pumped about the Supra I am disappointed about the new Supra...please lets get the real facts soon...
I agree with this and a lot of what was said here. Hopefully this leak is Toyota underwhelming us so when the real info comes out and it’s a little better we will all feel good about it.

Let’s remember too, if this gets basically the same engine that’s in the bmw 240 cars... you can add almost 100hp for $2,000 with a tune-intake-exhaust-dp- (estimates here, i haven’t been on the BMW boards in a while) and more if you are willing to upgrade the turbos. Also, read the reviews of the M2, if I could buy a better looking Toyota version of the M2, I would. Until Toyota gives us official specs, let’s keep the faith!!!

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
Previous owner of multiple MKIV Supra's & heavily involved in racing them, if the rumors are true then it's going to be a big disappointment to the previous gen owners and reputation of the Supra. I would have expected Toyota to out do their previous MKIV brother.

* 355hp 40i - The inline 6 from Toyota in 1993 produced 326hp from factory (US/Europe market), 355 hp for the 21st century is a little shy of being attractive to the older gen. I know this information isn't solid and we don't have the torque figures however my comment is purely based on the information that we do have.

* Automatic, Automatic, Automatic - Would be nice to have a manual option, I can't understand why Toyota would do this besides focusing on mainstream based buyers (sales) or easier maintenance for their dealerships. Even settling at the disappointing 355hp figure a manual will definitely be more fun with the rumored power figure IMO and would attract additional buyers along with their automatic/DCT option.

Lets hope they don't call this the new Supra, Toyota wont do itself any favors and will be shooting themselves directly in the foot.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Rebadged Bmw???

How could Toyota be willing to Jeopardize the great history and nameplate that is "Supra" for a car that is essentially nothing more than a rebadged Bmw? The thought of that alone is essentially beyond crazy to me and if true I can guarantee this to be an even bigger disappointment then the previous hyped release of the "NSX".

People that want a Supra, I can assure you don't want a BMW. People are willing to spend more than most the cost of BMW's current product offering on a Low Mileage Supra that is 25 years old. Does that tell you something? Whatever happened to not trying to reinvent the working wheel??

Here is what worked on the JZA80.

1- One of the best 6 Speed manual transmissions ever made.
2- 6CYL Engine that can handle boost with strong internals.
3- Driver oriented cockpit
4- A chassis to support the capabilities.
5- A look to match the part.

You have a good foundation and people will build. Aftermarket mfg's will make parts to make the enthusiasts happy and the mfg will make the car to make the consumer happy. It's really just that simple.

When you bring something great back, you should try to enhance and build on everything that made the original what it was better. Naturally if done correctly, this should evoke the same emotion and nostalgia of the old in the new for successful adoption.

If this is your goal then the Supra needs to have the soul of everything that made the previous generation great. Just that simple.

Toyota you are testing your Supra among a Porsche but if you are following its benchmark, how can you ignore there Formula? And when one of the most important aspects of the previous Supra was the greatness of the V160 how can you just give up on a Manual?

If a delay is what it takes to get the car right, then take all the time you need, but don't give us a product that turns it's back to the enthusiasts but more importantly your previous generation.

I am eagerly awaiting your companies final product as a previous Supra owner and lover.

zedsix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Somecar
I wholeheartedly agree with LEG1T, you've summed it up perfectly. Remember - these are all rumors and I have high hopes that Toyota will deliver something that ISN'T what has been rumored.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.