MKV Supra in Detail: Models, Engines, Transmission, Colors, Interiors, Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think this an odd siutation where many of us, me included, are emotionally relying/reacting to forum comments from a different brand. The info could be accurate (I sure hope it isnt) but we wont know for a while yet. The sooner we get real facts directly from Toyota the better!
Found this equadtion on this site cause I got curious.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/03/power-to-weight-ratio/

I decided to test this theory out and if rumors of it being 2700-2900 being correct, to have a similar performance on the old supra would require it to be 404 hp to match the 335 version listed above.

And if that 485 hp version being correct, that means the old Supra would need 585 to compete.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it, and perhaps, a test drive might make everyone foget about power. We'll see soon enough.

TLDR; Geneva can not come soon enough to put these rumors to rest.
Sponsored

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70TTR said its going to be a near production concept. :(
Yeah, and we will see who is right and who is wrong.

I have a theory that there is a higher level Supra trim that is being tested at Toyota Headquarters and are using the lower trims for data for this higher model.

This model would not be visible or given any information until it is time and only the engineers have a part in this. What better way to tease than have people know only a portion of the big picture.

Every time we get a new story, leak or pic, articles write themselves

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Speaking of colors, it feels almost like a throwback to the 00s: Glacier Silver, Atacama Yellow, and Crimson Red are coming back.
Whoa - that yellow is :puke:, the silver is :sleep:, and the red is :fear:. Toyota needs to use its own colour palette.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Not to mention that there comes a point when constantly increasing HP figures for every new model because an exercise in futility. Why do people feel entitled to enormous amounts of horsepower from the factory? If that's what you want, go aftermarket. As you said, weight is also an important performance factor.
Because that's what the FT1 promised. The words "BIG POWER" literally came from the horse's mouth, Akio Toyoda. One of the reasons this car got the green light was because how impressed Toyoda was with the performance, how he could beat the LFA time around Fuji in the simulator.

Second, that's what the market wants. That's what the market is paying their money for.

Finally, nobody wants to buy a brand new car and start chopping it up. Sure, there will be a guy on the cover of Super Street that drops a 2JZ into his showroom-new BMW Supra, but that's not real people.

Ya I agree about the nostalgia, but let's be realistic here. The old supra formula was not generating the revenue to justify it's existence.

However, this new formula may be economical enough to warrant the existence of the Supra for a lot longer. Whose to say they won't add HP/manual down the line when the profits justify it?

Let me be clear here.....the worst thing to happen to the Supra brand is not a BMW engine and automatic transmission...it's the discontinuation of the model from 98 till today...

Keep that in mind

The longer a car stays on production, the better it becomes over time. Just take a look at the Mustang and Camero.
That's not how Japanese automakers behave. "This car isn't selling well enough to justify a performance model" is what they will say. And then the whole thing will get canned and we'll have to wait two more decades for the next one.

When the 86 dropped, everyone and their brother was waiting on the hi-po STI that was sure to follow. It never arrived. It will never arrive.

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Yeah, and we will see who is right and who is wrong.

I have a theory that there is a higher level Supra trim that is being tested at Toyota Headquarters and are using the lower trims for data for this higher model.

This model would not be visible or given any information until it is time and only the engineers have a part in this. What better way to tease than have people know only a portion of the big picture.

Every time we get a new story, leak or pic, articles write themselves
Hey Modal170, sure hope your right about your theory...that would be awesome if true!

Lexusisf

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Found this equadtion on this site cause I got curious.

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/03/power-to-weight-ratio/

I decided to test this theory out and if rumors of it being 2700-2900 being correct, to have a similar performance on the old supra would require it to be 404 hp to match the 335 version listed above.

And if that 485 hp version being correct, that means the old Supra would need 585 to compete.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it, and perhaps, a test drive might make everyone foget about power. We'll see soon enough.

TLDR; Geneva can not come soon enough to put these rumors to rest.
Hey thanks for the link to that article!

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hey Modal170, sure hope your right about your theory...that would be awesome if true!
Only reason why is that I'm sure Toyota has their own track that is closed circuit and private property where no one can leak it. Yet, they can test out all those cars out on the street because they are lower leveled trims. We can all be complaining and they see the comments and ar eprobably laughing their assess off.

But it is a theory, a wishful thinking.

M.powered7

First Name
Mehdi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
I feel like people need to calm down with the HP numbers. Unless you can't take a corner properly and your idea of driving is just flooring it on a straight line, a car can still be super fun to drive with only 335 hp yessss. Especially if its light. Weight reduction impacts acceleration, responsiveness, handling and much more. Needless to say that horselpower numbers do not really reflect the engines behavior through out the rev range, it's just a marketing tool that let's you know the PEAK hp. Will you only be driving your supra at peak hp ?? I'm enrolled in mechanical engineering studies and it itches me how a lot of us use peak hp as ground of comparison to evuate a cars performance. Power wise what really matters is the area under the curve of the hp and torque lines with respect to the RPMs. Remember that peak HP doesnt reflect your engines torque and responsivnes at 2000 rpm, it doesnt reflect its ability to remain stable in a high speed corner, it doesnt reflect much more than contextless numbers used for pissing contests lol. Let's just all hold our judgements and critics untill after we've actually driven the damn thing..

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I feel like people need to calm down with the HP numbers. Unless you can't take a corner properly and your idea of driving is just flooring it on a straight line, a car can still be super fun to drive with only 335 hp yessss. Especially if its light. Weight reduction impacts acceleration, responsiveness, handling and much more. Needless to say that horselpower numbers do not really reflect the engines behavior through out the rev range, it's just a marketing tool that let's you know the PEAK hp. Will you only be driving your supra at peak hp ?? I'm enrolled in mechanical engineering studies and it itches me how a lot of us use peak hp as ground of comparison to evuate a cars performance. Power wise what really matters is the area under the curve of the hp and torque lines with respect to the RPMs. Remember that peak HP doesnt reflect your engines torque and responsivnes at 2000 rpm, it doesnt reflect its ability to remain stable in a high speed corner, it doesnt reflect much more than contextless numbers used for pissing contests lol. Let's just all hold our judgements and critics untill after we've actually driven the damn thing..
Refer to the top of the page listing power to weight ratio and the math between original supra and this supra.

Your post is more technical, but the idea is the same.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
meh most of this, while expected, is sad to read...still holding my breath though

Gecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 4Runner Limited 4x4, '05 LS 430
Longtime lurker, lifelong Toyota enthusiast, been following MKV Supra rumors and threads for the better part of a decade now. I don't want to be a hater, but it seems that any way you want to slice it, this car is going to have a MASSIVE numbers problem:

Ford Mustang Ecoboost:
$25,585
310hp, 320 lb-ft of torque (I4)
3,532lbs

Ford Mustang GT:
$35,095
460hp, 420 lb-ft (V8)
3,705 lbs

Chevrolet Camaro
$25,095
275hp, 284 lb-ft (I4)
3,339 lbs

Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
$37,000
455hp, 455 lb-ft (V8)
3,685 lbs

Nissan 370Z
$29,990
332hp, 270 lb-ft (V6)
3,333 lbs

Toyota Supra "30i"
$XX,XXX
~250hp, ~260 lb-ft (I4)

Toyota Supra "40i"
$XX,XXX
~335hp, 330 lb-ft (I6)

Porsche Cayman
$55,300
300hp, 280 lb-ft (I4)
2,943 lbs

Chevrolet Corvette
$55,495
455hp, 455 lb-ft (V8)
3,298 lbs

If these rumors are true, it's underpowered at the $25-32k price point ("30i" model) and underpowered at the $35k+ price point ("40i" model). I have a feeling this car will come in around 3,200lbs. The Mustang and Camaro are no longer "straight line pony cars" like they were before, and they'll probably very often be compared to this Supra. Both are very sharp and good driver's cars.

Furthermore, when you consider that the audience for this type of car is generally enthusiasts, many of them (us) will know exactly what this car is under the sheetmetal. Most people who bought former Supras bought them because they were over-engineered, rock-solid reliable and the 2JZ could take many times the power it made stock with easy mods. Now, Toyota thinks those same people are going to come back to buy a car based on BMW's entry level roadster, with questionable reliability and engines you can get in a 2 series?

2F3oeSAz6FqXCKuNFX6o,P2Fgiphy.gif,ahash=7c5581b76355acad364be3b76a14a664.pagespeed.ce.8Fnbb0tL15.gif

I have no interest in owning a BMW product -- much less one out of warranty. With a shared platform and a Toyota powertrain/electronics, I would have been OK with this car. Once we start talking about BMW's electronics, iDrive, sensors, powertrains, fuel pumps, etc.... I'm out.

I just don't understand how Toyota develops a brand new engine series, has a beautiful, state of the art new 3.5L TT V6 and slips a decade-old (comparatively underpowered) workhorse BMW engine into their halo sports car.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
I just don't understand how Toyota develops a brand new engine series, has a beautiful, state of the art new 3.5L TT V6 and slips a (underpowered) workhorse BMW engine into their halo sports car.
Because that's for Lexus....I think alot of people still think of Lexus as a Division of Toyota. It is only in a sense. People should think of Lexus as it's own entity with it's own engineering and other items. It's basically it's own company now. I'm sure there were times where Lexus probably fought to take this MKV car and make it their own taking it away from BMW. But it wasn't successful, so it will get a BMW engine instead. That V6 to Toyota and Lexus belongs only in Lexus products. or so they make it seem.

Remember even if they put this V6 TT and things were different, they'll always be people who cry and say why Toyota didn't put an I6 from BMW or develope a new Toyota one.

You just can't win.

Btw Welcome and Thanks for Posting a well thought out post.

Gecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 4Runner Limited 4x4, '05 LS 430
Because that's for Lexus....I think alot of people still think of Lexus as a Division of Toyota. It is only in a sense. People should think of Lexus as it's own entity with it's own engineering and other items. It's basically it's own company now. I'm sure there were times where Lexus probably fought to take this MKV car and make it their own taking it away from BMW. But it wasn't successful, so it will get a BMW engine instead. That V6 to Toyota and Lexus belongs only in Lexus products. or so they make it seem.

Remember even if they put this V6 TT and things were different, they'll always be people who cry and say why Toyota didn't put an I6 from BMW or develope a new Toyota one.

You just can't win.
We really don't know any of that yet. The LS has always shared an engine block with the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, LX, etc. If Toyota is using that 3.5L V6 as their workhorse V8 replacement, it could very well become a "Toyota" engine as well.

FWIW, for as much as Toyota wants it to seem that Lexus is their own corporate identity, they are not. Almost all of the large scale engineering decisions about engines and architecture are made at the Toyota Global level and then handed down to Toyota/Lexus to finish at their BU level.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.