Status
Not open for further replies.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
ty, typo on my part

Really? What about the: IS, GS, RC, LC, LS, and most recently the GX.

The only remaining shared platforms with Toyota branded cars are ES, RX, and LX....no?

The NX (if im not mistaken) is shared platform with the IS not the RAV4.
naw, he is correct, LC and the newest LS are the only ones on a truly separate platform but I assume next gen Toyota Mark/Crown will be sharing it too. NX is indeed based on the RAV4, it is a FWD SUV not RWD..
Sponsored

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
Really? What about the: IS, GS, RC, LC, LS, and most recently the GX.

The only remaining shared platforms with Toyota branded cars are ES, RX, and LX....no?

The NX (if im not mistaken) is shared platform with the IS not the RAV4.
The IS, GS, and RC use the same platform as the Toyota Grown.

The NX is a Rav4.

And your GX is related to the Land Cruiser Prado. It's also known as the 'European Land Cruiser'.
maxresdefault.jpg

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
The IS, GS, and RC use the same platform as the Toyota Grown.

The NX is a Rav4.

And your GX is related to the Land Cruiser Prado. It's also known as the 'European Land Cruiser'.
maxresdefault.jpg
I was specifically referring to the North American offerings. Afterall, wasn’t Lexus made specifically for the North American market?

Are the Lexus cars I listed sharing any platforms with Toyota cars offered in North America?

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Actually... I believe one of the reason that it doesn't share the LS and LC is because it's on an all new Platform.

Remember this is moving forward now, I'm sure by 2020 they will be a bigger separation between the Toyota and Lexus. Lots of stuff will still be shared.

The interesting tidbit I think will be if this Supra Platform will be shared with Lexus. I mean if it is and the 2020 whatever RC is on this platform, is stretched to be a 2+2 provides 400+ HP with a Lexus Engine... then this thing is probably what people wanted as a successor not the Supra.

might as well name it the SC300 lol

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
I was specifically referring to the North American offerings. Afterall, wasn’t Lexus made specifically for the North American market?

Are the Lexus cars I listed sharing any platforms with Toyota cars offered in North America?
I guess I miss that part. o_O Either way a majority of their offerings are still related to 'North American' Toyota product.

Lexus was launch 1st in the US, but they are now a global brand.

GX shares the 4runner platform as well
Yup!

naw, he is correct, LC and the newest LS are the only ones on a truly separate platform but I assume next gen Toyota Mark/Crown will be sharing it too. NX is indeed based on the RAV4, it is a FWD SUV not RWD..
TY, yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the new Crown is some how related to the LC/LS.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Actually... I believe one of the reason that it doesn't share the LS and LC is because it's on an all new Platform.

Remember this is moving forward now, I'm sure by 2020 they will be a bigger separation between the Toyota and Lexus. Lots of stuff will still be shared.

The interesting tidbit I think will be if this Supra Platform will be shared with Lexus. I mean if it is and the 2020 whatever RC is on this platform, is stretched to be a 2+2 provides 400+ HP with a Lexus Engine... then this thing is probably what people wanted as a successor not the Supra.

Imagine.

Toyota Supra 255 HP 36k 2700 lbs, two seater.

Toyota Supra 335 HP 48k 2700 lbs, two seater.

Lexus RC-F- 415 HP 65k 3200 lbs, 2+2

That sounds like quite a dream to have don't you think? The RC-F is already at 4k lbs, shedding 800 pounds would set the bar for Lexus on finding the perfect mix of lightweight, reliable, fast cars that has a touch of luxury with spirited feeling behind the wheel.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
There is crosstalk and the sharing of components and tech across the two companies as anyone would expect at this point, but it is more separate than it was yesteryear, which is something I have commented on previously. I made the mistake of thinking this extended further than it did because I'm aware of some other information, but after further research they were/are still doing a lot of platform/drivetrain sharing in various markets.

That said, Lexus is pushing hard and has been petitioning Akio to give them entirely separate engineering staff and components (i.e. 'F' head engineer is exclusively Lexus and has dedicated Yamaha staff as well). The new v6-TT was designed by a group of engineers focusing entirely on a Lexus roadmap that was issued about 4-5 years ago, and I believe the LS/LC platform is also part of that planning.

Expect to see more of this going forward.

(The caveat to this is Japan, where you essentially have what would normally be Lexus vehicles but instead branded as Toyota; see Toyota Crown)

Lastly, the efficacy of that is debatable because nearly everything at Toyota is done by committee in typical fashion, and the new platforms are called global platforms for a reason, so it may end up being just motors, materials and the like that are exclusive.

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Toyota said they are switching to two global modular platforms. One FWD for Camry, Avalon, Corolla, Highlander, Rva4 and ect. And One RWD for LS, LC, (and future) GS, IS, RC, Crown, and Mark X and etc.

ty, typo on my part
Anytime :)

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet

Toyota’s luxury brand, Lexus, does not currently have access to the joint sports car program, but senior company officials have refused to rule out the idea in the longer term. “Toyota is next door,” said Lexus’s European boss, Alain Uyttenhoven. “We are one company and our head is Akio Toyoda, and we could do it. Right now, we are not going to have a common platform between BMW and Lexus. Purely speaking, though, we have access to everything which is Toyota.”
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-toyota-supra-course-2018-launch

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
We really don't know any of that yet. The LS has always shared an engine block with the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, LX, etc. If Toyota is using that 3.5L V6 as their workhorse V8 replacement, it could very well become a "Toyota" engine as well.

FWIW, for as much as Toyota wants it to seem that Lexus is their own corporate identity, they are not. Almost all of the large scale engineering decisions about engines and architecture are made at the Toyota Global level and then handed down to Toyota/Lexus to finish at their BU level.
WHOA WHOA WHOA, hold it, junior. That Lexus 4.6L V8 is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and WAY MORE REFINED than the Toyota 4.6L V8. We know this because the marketing department slapped "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" on the Lexus 4.6. :rofl:

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Toyota said they are switching to two global modular platforms. One FWD for Camry, Avalon, Corolla, Highlander, Rva4 and ect. And One RWD for LS, LC, (and future) GS, IS, RC, Crown, and Mark X and etc.

Anytime :)
definitely likely because that would be the expected end result. it's a fairly smart move too as you can modify the length and width to whatever you want and then just attach a few bespoke items like suspension etc and be done. all without new tooling and a bunch of R&D.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Wiki on the TNGA platforms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_New_Global_Architecture

What looks like three variations for compact, mid-size and rear-drive/lux.

I forget that stuff like Highlander is basically a Camry. If you drive a new Highlander and a new Camry, they really do ride and drive about the same, just one sits higher. And a Lexus ES is basically just a fancy Camry.

IIRC, the body-on-frame vehicles are all waiting to go on the same new TNGA-F platform, which would include everything from the Toyota Tundra to the 4Runner to the Lexus LX. Which is supposedly a big reason why their body-on-frame vehicles are all so old (4runner, GX, Landcruiser, Tundra, Sequoia are all about a decade old, or more). I've searched again for that but come up short.

And then Supra won't have a Toyota platform, because it's a BMW.

Chikane

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm What AM I driving?
Thanks! I'm sure there is alot of internal issues between the two, but I will wholeheartedly agree with A70TTR that moving forward in the future. Lexus will become more of it's own and will try to differentiate from Toyota. But I do hope they work together for some good things, I wouldn't mind a good SC300 version of this Supra with out the BMW involvements.

In fact depending on how they do the next RC on this new Platform and if it's not a whale, it might actually be what many are searching for.

Prepare to empty $$$ tho, Lexus aren't cheap. Compared to a Mercedes yes but to a Toyota, it's alot more.

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
Meanwhile a lexus z4 sibling car would make more sense to me , i don't think anyone would be complaining if a lexus z4 coupe was developed with bmw because a 2 seater luxury sports car is what the z4 is and also bmw's segment is closer to lexus than toyota.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.