New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
to add to the discussion, kinda the purpose of a car forum... and if you aren't interested you dont have to reply.
you just said it though, we aren't getting an inline, what is there to discuss lol

bump the 3.5 TT thread and let's talk about pricing, that is certainly going to be a worthwhile discussion than this dead idea of an inline 6 having anything to do with the supra's future
Sponsored

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
you just said it though, we aren't getting an inline, what is there to discuss lol

bump the 3.5 TT thread and let's talk about pricing, that is certainly going to be a worthwhile discussion than this dead idea of an inline 6 having anything to do with the supra's future
the pros and cons to both set ups. which one do people prefer? i would say there is a high chance of it using the TTV6 from the LS, but there is also a chance Toyota will just borrow BMW's I6.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
the pros and cons to both set ups. which one do people prefer? i would say there is a high chance of it using the TTV6 from the LS, but there is also a chance Toyota will just borrow BMW's I6.
lol if toyota uses bmw's i6, what will toyota actually contribute? their direct injection? :popcorn:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If Toyota surprises us with an actual 3JZ inline 6, it would shock the world!

But the new Lexus V6 TT is a good sign. The LMP1 TS050 uses a 2.4 V6 direct inject TT + hybrid system. If Toyota is using their own engine I think it would make sense since the research has already been applied on this engine configuration/tuning/etc.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
^ I could see that. Though that will be another argument within the community on 'how are they going to call it a 3JZ, it's not an inline engine/heritage'. And I would agree to a certain degree. I think as long as it's reliable, tuner friendly, and can hold big power like the 2JZ, that's ultimately what will allow people to accept it.

Kind of like when the FT-1 was revealed, some were upset that the FT-1 didn't resemble much of the MKIV (which I think it somewhat does), but when you look at it the MKIV was a complete redesign compared to the previous generations which were also Supra's.

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
Do they really think they will sell a Supra with a BMW powerplant? That's like selling a new Camaro with a Hemi.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Do they really think they will sell a Supra with a BMW powerplant? That's like selling a new Camaro with a Hemi.
we gotta hope that the execs think having a jdm halo car being made by bmw is beneficial for the consumer

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
we gotta hope that the execs think having a jdm halo car being made by bmw is beneficial for the consumer
I hope they do. Branding used to mean sometihing. I also understand times do change and we have more and more younger people who have no desire to own a car..or even learn how to drive.

Reactions: HKz

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
I hope they do. Branding used to mean sometihing. I also understand times do change and we have more and more younger people who have no desire to own a car..or even learn how to drive.
im with you man, ive always loved the individual quirks from each car brand so i hate how these joint projects muddle the picture a bit
Sponsored