New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bimyota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo, 1999 BMW Z3 M Roadster
Since this is the North American specs thread, I guess this is as good a place as any for this.

Specs which matter, roughly in order:

Curb weight stock - Even the high estimate (3300) is lower than my MKIV (3450 on a truck scale). If there's a trim at 3100, I'm interested

Chassis stiffness stock - Talk that it will be as stiff as the LFA is awesome. The MKIV is a wet noodle, even with the targa bolted down

CG height - Be lower than the MKIV, and at least in range of the C7 or Cayman

HP/TQ at BPU (tune plus bolt ons) - High 400s at the wheels would make things interesting, and might keep me from pulling the trigger on a Z06

HP/TQ on stock block with single turbo and fuel - In today's performance car world, 750+ is what you need to stay in the game

Mid-corner speed in Turn 1 at Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen Turn 11 on r-comps - The most critical turns at my two favorite tracks. Mid-corner speed in a fast turn tells you a lot more than lap times or skidpad Gs. Somehow I don't think they'll let me do that on the test drive...

Out the door price on a reasonably equipped performance model - The US market has a price nice gap between Nismo 370Z and Corvette Z51 where it sounds like this may land

Bad ass launch control - My buddy's RS3 launches as hard as any stock street car I've ever been in, and it's fat (3500+ pounds, before adding two adult males) and "only" goes 3.9 0-60. With the right software, even stock the A90 should have an insane launch.

Torque vectoring diff - Please please please. The MKIV gave us the at the time state-of-the-art Torsen. Up the ante

Magnetic ride control - The only thing more magic are spool valve shocks, and we're not getting those on anything short of a full GRMN

Loads of GR aftermarket parts - Overnight them from Europe, Japan or wherever. I'm not interested in whatever Pep Boys relabels TRD USA festoons the dealerships with. I also think that for those of us in the U.S. of A. that Gazoo badging the A90 is going to be a common cosmetic mod. It's a really nice logo, especially on a white car

Interior - Please differentiate this from the BMW. While they've been good quality and functional, all of my German cars have lacked any sort of emotion in the interior. Even the Audi R8 underwhelms for what it is. One glimmer of hope is that the R8/Gallardo/Huracan is transformed in Lamborghini's hands, so let's hope that Toyota can impact the interior design as much as they have the exterior.

No BMW spyware - Seriously, it's car not my f-ing smartphone. I'll have to roll the MKIV when I need to sneak out for the night, I guess.

What doesn't matter:

Fake vents - I hate that door gash and will replace it with an aftermarket panel ASAP even if I have to 3D print it myself

Stock HP/TQ - First tuner with an ECU flash to go over 400/400 has my money

Steering wheel - Momo Race goes on, and the stock one goes in a box. The MKIV wheel was ugly also and everyone knows it. Not a big deal

Clutch pedal - Every performance car or track car/race car (around 20) I've ever owned has been a manual. The ZF8 is good enough to change that. Also, see "launch control" above

Targa top - I love a targa top in the summer, but the impact on chassis stiffness is often severe. There's a reason why hardtop MKIVs command a price premium

Hopefully we'll know about all of that in the next six months.
Sponsored

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
Btw the new supra reportedly did a 7:40 ring time. Might wanna check the times of those other cars listed...
Can you link to have a look, appreciated

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
It's actually an old tale. In 1986 a Ford Mustang 5.0 (4.9L V8, 200 hp, 265 ft-lb, 3000 lb) MSRP was about the same or less than an AE86 Corolla GT-S (1.6L L4, 112hp, 97 ft-lb, 2350 lb).

Jeff
If it doesn't comply with today's performance demands your always going to be behind

Best cars I've driven talking about excitement are BMW's, Toyota's are very good too, itchy itchy... But only fast I mean race fast if you upgrade/tune them nothing wrong with tuning if it's an outdated car.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, I spoke about Fun :lol:MIATA MIATA

NewComer ? Respect your eldery! Only if the GR comes (ejaculates), which I suspect it will come at some point with M power

Muscle cars today are much different .... They are sport cars today, you'll be surprised on how a 350R or camaro lt1 1le will smash a an M4, Porche lesser than a Turbo S, ...
I say newcomer due to time of account. There are a lot of details going on with this car that suggests several incredible things are going on at a 50k ish range. From weight, power, torque, stability, center of gravity, this isn't going to be an average sports car on the market. The intangibles that can only be described from sitting behind thr wheel and pushing it will probably be the selling point.

Granted, if excitement is just slamming the foot down the pedal and hearing your engine roar, more power to you

This is not that car.

This car aims to be like the cayman and potentially the 62k trim a 911 carrera fighter at a reduced cost. It is not a highway monster and won't be when it comes out.

Well, stock anyways i am just tired of hearing the moar hp car which makes me go to sleep

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
^_^.....have had a Silver '11 EVO X MR since it was new, 110k kms on the odo now....all sorts of mods to make it killer AutoX machine.
Nice car, but not a Focus RS

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
I say newcomer due to time of account. There are a lot of details going on with this car that suggests several incredible things are going on at a 50k ish range. From weight, power, torque, stability, center of gravity, this isn't going to be an average sports car on the market. The intangibles that can only be described from sitting behind thr wheel and pushing it will probably be the selling point.

Granted, if excitement is just slamming the foot down the pedal and hearing your engine roar, more power to you

This is not that car.

This car aims to be like the cayman and potentially the 62k trim a 911 carrera fighter at a reduced cost. It is not a highway monster and won't be when it comes out.

Well, stock anyways i am just tired of hearing the moar hp car which makes me go to sleep
It's not about HP it's about performance reality, not pretenders that need tuning to become.

If and when there will be a GRMN - Or anything compared to a GT4, M Competition/GTS, Then we're talking...

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not about HP it's about performance reality, not pretenders that need tuning to become.

If and when there will be a GRMN - Or anything compared to a GT4, M Competition/GTS, Then we're talking...
If rumors are true, a GRMN will come, at what price and what time is anyone's guess. Manual coming down the road too.

I would think after being hounded about turbo or HP on the 86, Tada would make sure he doesn't hear the same thing again. To have a performance machine out the box.

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase

This is not that car.

For 62k it needs GT4, M + performance, excitement, Adrenaline...

It's 60k your ball park game - AMG 45 is a killer - I'd take the new ME C8 for INEXPENSIVE, performance & reliability

Have you read the news of what's coming - I am sure an Alpine, 4C and new comers will do a better job for what you really want - Or just buy a Lotus with a real Toyota motor

AZSupra

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GTI
McLaren...Ferrari? wtf?

:thumbsup: Race Track: Time will prove how a 350 supra will get smashed by any Amg A class, Focus RS, TT RS, next WRX STI...
Ridiculous. Not sure what it is about AWD owners and their pompous assertions regarding 4 wheels out handling 2 wheel counterparts. Cayman has faster times than all those cars mentioned. Since you brought up the TTRS which uses the same FWD biased haldex system as the Golf R. The GTI clubsport (FWD) runs a faster time around the ring.

AWD introduces weight and in many times understeer and difficulty rotating. We are talking about racing on asphalt, Collin Mcrae.

supra85

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 with Volk 37 SL wheels
No way that car will be only 3100lbs!

"Carbon, Aluminum, Hi-Ten Steel and a little creativity. You should see the unibody structure. Kind of neat, and whilst the subframe and suspension are shared the unibody is very different from a Z4 and is significantly lighter.

The new A90 lapped the Nürburgring over 500 times in the last 6 years at every stage of development"

Is this the final body style look for the A90? Or is it going to change before it shows up at the showroom?
"Pretty much. Maybe a few details like mirrors or tail trunk shapes? Maybe"

"FYI, some folks at Toyota blew this engine up at 700+ HP looking to do something with it.
So they are playing with something
1f609.png
"

Last edited:

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
Ridiculous. Not sure what it is about AWD owners and their pompous assertions regarding 4 wheels out handling 2 wheel counterparts. Cayman has faster times than all those cars mentioned. Since you brought up the TTRS which uses the same FWD biased haldex system as the Golf R. The GTI clubsport (FWD) runs a faster time around the ring.

AWD introduces weight and in many times understeer and difficulty rotating. We are talking about racing on asphalt, Collin Mcrae.
cayman S starts at 95k

Understeer only on the MR2 and such no longer AWD cars suffer such dramastic issues....
At > 95k the GTR is the Killer

NewQ

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C7 STINGRAY
Vehicle Showcase
No way that car will be only 3100lbs!

"Carbon, Aluminum, Hi-Ten Steel and a little creativity. You should see the unibody structure. Kind of neat, and whilst the subframe and suspension are shared the unibody is very different from a Z4 and is significantly lighter."
This 2020 Supra must be an LFA competitor to success and kick its arse even if it wass only a 4 cylinder

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For 62k it needs GT4, M + performance, excitement, Adrenaline...

It's 60k your ball park game - AMG 45 is a killer - I'd take the new ME C8 for INEXPENSIVE, performance & reliability

Have you read the news of what's coming - I am sure an Alpine, 4C and new comers will do a better job for what you really want - Or just buy a Lotus with a real Toyota motor
It was told that an RZ trim would be coming at ~3250lbs. Thus, with what's leaked as 62k, suggest this would have everything. Perhaps a GT car more than a performance car but there's no news what engine will be in this trim, or styling or cues or interior items.

But considering the SZ-R is weighing ~3060 lbs, this means there is something thrown onto the RZ to give it a higher weight. HP? New Electronic Tech?

Who knows but depending on the items, most fans might just shoot for the SZ-R at the low 3000 lb weight and go nuts.

supra85

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 with Volk 37 SL wheels
It was told that an RZ trim would be coming at ~3250lbs. Thus, with what's leaked as 62k, suggest this would have everything. Perhaps a GT car more than a performance car but there's no news what engine will be in this trim, or styling or cues or interior items.

But considering the SZ-R is weighing ~3060 lbs, this means there is something thrown onto the RZ to give it a higher weight. HP? New Electronic Tech?

Who knows but depending on the items, most fans might just shoot for the SZ-R at the low 3000 lb weight and go nuts.
There are some rumors about the A90 with a mildhybrid.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.