News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
FYI, this thread may read a little choppy. The reason is there were like 7 or so threads where everyone kept wanting to talk about an "A100", so for the sake of consolidation I just pulled it all in here.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
Something tells me we will see the return of (or something like) the “Super Capacitor” system:
38BA48FD-1AF0-4CBD-ACD5-690C46F71F54.jpeg

Toyota: “Under braking, in the designated hybrid recovery zones, the system harvests energy which is converted into electricity by the Motor Generator Unit (MGU), located between engine and gearbox, within the gearbox housing. This electricity is transmitted, via a DENSO inverter, into the NISSHINBO super capacitor storage device, sited next to the driver in the cockpit. When the driver accelerates, the hybrid boost is delivered automatically for around three seconds, with the electricity travelling from the super capacitor, through the inverter and into the MGU, which adds the power to that of the petrol engine and transmits it to the rear wheels.”

I would love to have an extra 150-300hp boost for a few seconds.
I'm incredibly excited, though I presume none of this will be as affordable as the A90 GR Supra......

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, this thread may read a little choppy. The reason is there were like 7 or so threads where everyone kept wanting to talk about an "A100", so for the sake of consolidation I just pulled it all in here.
My apologies for posting in wrong threads, I am usually traveling and in a hurry when posting. Thank you for this thread, I will post any relevant information here.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm incredibly excited, though I presume none of this will be as affordable as the A90 GR Supra......
That is yet to be determined. I don’t want to say something and it ends up being something completely different. Yet, based on current tech that can be executed (financially viable), I just cant wrap my head around the idea of an inline six with a hybrid setup and be “affordable.” Now, the GT3 concept could be the indication that the layout (long hood, short rear, wide track) is setup for a straight six with hybrid, but from an engineering perspective (mechanical engineers chime in please) it would be very difficult to achieve a good balance with that setup.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
That is yet to be determined. I don’t want to say something and it ends up being something completely different. Yet, based on current tech that can be executed (financially viable), I just cant wrap my head around the idea of an inline six with a hybrid setup and be “affordable.” Now, the GT3 concept could be the indication that the layout (long hood, short rear, wide track) is setup for a straight six with hybrid, but from an engineering perspective (mechanical engineers chime in please) it would be very difficult to achieve a good balance with that setup.
The GR GT3 concept appears to have a lot of "options" baked into the chassis/platform design. I could see Toyota using:

--An inline-six (possibly a very worked over variant of Mazda's new I6 architecture)

--Possibly even some even further evolved version of the BMW B58 series (VERY unlikely... but if the Ineos has licensed it for their Grenaider off-roader on an otherwise bespoke platform I assume anyone else can do it... and a couple of other boutique low volume manufacturers have)

--A V6 twin turbo of Toyota's own core design

Any of these three possibilities I would assume at this point will have some form of hybridization available.

According to what A70TTR said some time back this is within Toyota's mandate to have electrified versions of all models by 2026 other than whichever legacy model generations are still within their last couple of sales years before a major generation change.

But as you have pointed out, PerformanceSound, hybridization can also suggest some models could potentially have very advanced high performance hybrid setups for the "sports" vehicles. Switch into an economy mode for highest fuel economy possible or switch into normal, sport and track modes with the electric assist programming falling into line with each intended use of the vehicle in a given situation.

All my speculation here... I'm just excited for the possibilities.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The GR GT3 concept appears to have a lot of "options" baked into the chassis/platform design. I could see Toyota using:

--An inline-six (possibly a very worked over variant of Mazda's new I6 architecture)

--Possibly even some even further evolved version of the BMW B58 series (VERY unlikely... but if the Ineos has licensed it for their Grenaider off-roader on an otherwise bespoke platform I assume anyone else can do it... and a couple of other boutique low volume manufacturers have)

--A V6 twin turbo of Toyota's own core design

Any of these three possibilities I would assume at this point will have some form of hybridization available.

According to what A70TTR said some time back this is within Toyota's mandate to have electrified versions of all models by 2026 other than whichever legacy model generations are still within their last couple of sales years before a major generation change.

But as you have pointed out, PerformanceSound, hybridization can also suggest some models could potentially have very advanced high performance hybrid setups for the "sports" vehicles. Switch into an economy mode for highest fuel economy possible or switch into normal, sport and track modes with the electric assist programming falling into line with each intended use of the vehicle in a given situation.

All my speculation here... I'm just excited for the possibilities.
Hopefully get some new info soon on the “mules” currently being tested in Japan. From what I know, not sure how an inline six would physically fit in the mules…I could be very wrong though.

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Hopefully get some new info soon on the “mules” currently being tested in Japan. From what I know, not sure how an inline six would physically fit in the mules…I could be very wrong though.
Is it because the hood is shorter?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a wide angle “V” configuration??? Otherwise, any inline engine sitting 90 degrees would either sit very very low, have an unconventional oil pan, or very low displacement. There maybe a possibility for an angled inline six (similar to the B58) to fit in such a low hoodline, but I know nothing of such sort in the works. Until I get more info, it’s very much the possibility of all electric setup. Hmmm…
Sponsored