News, Updates, and Discussions on next-gen A100 Supra

Marsone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ISF, FRS
I just assumed the GT3 is just a preview of their upcoming RCF GT3 replacement, not a road-going car. đŸ€” And yeah I can see it being a vision of their next gen GT3 racecar...

What we do know confirmed is whatever the next gen GT3 racecar is is going to have a production version ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ man.. exciting stuff coming but sucks not knowing what specifically lol... Guess we gotta wait and see.
Wouldn’t it need to be a real road car to race in its IMSA class? Every entry in GTD and GTD Pro has a road going equivalent.

I think when or if Lexus runs that car in IMSA, that will be telling for what the public may have access to. With the prototype class going hybrid for 2023, I wonder if the writing is on the wall for the GT classes.. if that were to be announced next year, I imagine that any future performance Toyota/Lexus products will be electrified.
Sponsored

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Maybe a wide angle “V” configuration??? Otherwise, any inline engine sitting 90 degrees would either sit very very low, have an unconventional oil pan, or very low displacement. There maybe a possibility for an angled inline six (similar to the B58) to fit in such a low hoodline, but I know nothing of such sort in the works. Until I get more info, it’s very much the possibility of all electric setup. Hmmm

Interesting. I hadn't thought of there being such very low hood clearance in relation to the assumed lower crossmember height.

I assumed the new Mazda I-6 family of engines were also perfectly straight upright designs much like the old Toyota JZ inline six engines so that would make it difficult for both the Mazda and current BMW I-6 power plants.

I still hope the Mazda I-6 engine will get a turbo performance version in something *other than* an SUV or crossover so here's hoping on that.

Your points above and the question of which platform the A100 Supra will get after all does raise questions for both it and the GR GT3.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I hadn't thought of there being such very low hood clearance in relation to the assumed lower crossmember height.

I assumed the new Mazda I-6 family of engines were also perfectly straight upright designs much like the old Toyota JZ inline six engines so that would make it difficult for both the Mazda and current BMW I-6 power plants.

I still hope the Mazda I-6 engine will get a turbo performance version in something *other than* an SUV or crossover so here's hoping on that.

Your points above and the question of which platform the A100 Supra will get after all does raise questions for both it and the GR GT3.
I only say this because I haven’t heard anything about a V8 or any further details of an inline six. All signs are pointing to V6TT w/hybrid, 4cyl turbo, and all-electric for this platform.

My predictions for offerings:
V6TT w/hybrid & 4cyl turbo for “A100.”
V6TT w/hybrid super capacitor & all-electric for “LFA.”

I maybe be completely off
but, the “hints” point to the above.

Also, rumor is the V6TT may get a displacement reduction from 3.4 to 3.0. Thicker cylinder walls??? Hmmm

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I only say this because I haven’t heard anything about a V8 or any further details of an inline six. All signs are pointing to V6TT w/hybrid, 4cyl turbo, and all-electric for this platform.

My predictions for offerings:
V6TT w/hybrid & 4cyl turbo for “A100.”
V6TT w/hybrid super capacitor & all-electric for “LFA.”

I maybe be completely off
but, the “hints” point to the above.

Also, rumor is the V6TT may get a displacement reduction from 3.4 to 3.0. Thicker cylinder walls??? Hmmm

It would make the most sense to me given how they seem to have chosen to develop the platform that the A100 will share.

As for a displacement reduction to 3.0L, this would probably have everything to do with engine size tax brackets to the 3.0L size being traditional for Supras to being able to employ thicker cylinder walls and perhaps even higher than previously intended factory boost pressure.

JZ turbo engines don't really suffer from having only 3.0L to make everything from stock to huge power and, with current turbo technology (and even a VVT-i head + quick spool valve), good low end torque... even though stroker kits up to 3.2L, 3.4L and even a probably not very advised 3.6L bump exist. I suspect the same will be the case with this V6TT engine variant they are designing.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Would Toyota do that thing where with the hybrid setup it's 400HP but without it it's probably more than half? to keep costs down

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would Toyota do that thing where with the hybrid setup it's 400HP but without it it's probably more than half? to keep costs down
In this case I think we'll only know when we know... but I suspect that since it's a car intended for owners to track or even modify to race if they want to it will have ample power on track in the gas-only operation with a depleted battery... which will get recharged for full power boosting after some recovery time.

If Lexus will indeed use a super-capacitor design then that lag in recharge time will probably NOT be much of a factor if at all due tot he nature of how quickly super-capacitors fully charge up after being depleted.

The only downside with a super-capacitor to date (unless we're about to see another technological leap in that department) is how they do not hold their electrical charge for long the way batteries do. But while the performance car is driving and constantly sipping electricity into it to always have it topped off...? Shouldn't be an issue.

Implemented the way GR thinks in their development process it will probably operate in practice like a constantly recharging powerful shot of nitrous-oxide at the push of a button.... only with electricity and an electric motor (or more than one electric motor).

But PerformanceSound has stated that he doesn't see the Toyota A100 getting that super-capacitor tech the way the Lexus variant will, so...

GRMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Too many
Some of the suggestions here ate behind in relation to the engineering progress and direction of Toyota

The power unit in the next gen Supra would most likely be an in line 6 running on hydrogen. This way, the straight 6 heritage is preserved while complying with any future carbon emissions requirements

C-Pike

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
in light of the recent update, im thinking...

GR GT3 = Lexus LFR with the TTV8 from the canceled LC-F. one last ICE supercar for Lexus :D

maybe the next Supra and Lexus RC will share the same platform? :dunno:
Makes sense to me, especially if they want to keep it affordable.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Since Toyota already did the whole 2000GT retro thing, I think it would be cool if the next Supra paid some homage to the A80 like with these fanart renderings based on the Mazda RX concept.

zem16in.jpg

y7x9op2.jpg

PyjYq7x.jpg

LhgBG0V.jpg
Word is, there will be heavy queues from the MKIV in the MKVI. The “M” “K” “I” and “V” letters will be reincarnated.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Some of the suggestions here ate behind in relation to the engineering progress and direction of Toyota

The power unit in the next gen Supra would most likely be an in line 6 running on hydrogen. This way, the straight 6 heritage is preserved while complying with any future carbon emissions requirements
The only trouble with hydrogen ICE at the moment (and I am watching that approach just as much as other powertrain approaches) is the fuel economy that will be limited in a small sportscar chassis like this based on the current hydrogen fuel tank capacities that are currently possible.

They could build such a model right now but it wouldn't have very much range compared to an electrically propelled hydrogen fuel cell drivetrain or other BEV drivetrain.

More likely we'll begin seeing someone's implementation of carbon neutral fuels some years down the road while hydrogen ICE will instead be perfect for racecars which can be refueled quickly after a couple or a few laps. In a racing environment hydrogen ICE will have few to zero downsides with short range limited by hydrogen tank capacity.

I would LOVE for this not to be the case. I really would. And still I think Toyota will build hydrogen ICE models but probably they will mostly be race chassis or street legal race chassis despite the range limitations.

It'll also depend on what size and type of engine is used. That Yamaha V8 which is hydrogen ICE will absolutely take more fuel than the hydrogen ICE version of the G16-GTS 1.6L three cylinder turbo engine.

Sponsored