NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I’m unsure but many of these software updates may be tied to Body/Electrical components. I know for sure disconnecting the seat control modules throws codes but they don’t pop-up on your screen. Anything Airbag related does though.
Just trying to see if anyone here has dealt with the recall and had aftermarket seats installed.
I seem to remember another person who had replaced seats and had the airbag warnings coded out having to put them back in. I don't remember who.
Sponsored

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Does anyone know if I have to put my factory Seats back in? I have Recaro’s installed and don’t want to risk having the update fail/returning to the dealer again.
Off-topic, but which Recaro's do you have?

Davedaveee

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra GR Premium 3.0
Yikes. I'm starting to feel lucky I didn't have issues with the head unit during the update. Hope they get it fixed soon, though it sounds like, from other owners who have had related issues, the parts needed to fix this are on "global backorder" due to "COVID-related supply chain issues." Which is the best excuse ever and one I use/hear at work a lot.

EDIT: Did you notice the head unit was fried or did the dealership during their testing after the update?
They informed me of the head unit failing. Apparently the car went through the update process and froze at 38% or something. The car is drive-able but I have a blue screen on the touch screen. The worst part is I brought my car in for oil change, and a check engine light fix for a minor evap code. It was a purge valve I had been waiting 4 months to come in. So I literally just wanted that fixed and they did the recall update without informing me or asking me. What a bummer.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
They informed me of the head unit failing. Apparently the car went through the update process and froze at 38% or something. The car is drive-able but I have a blue screen on the touch screen. The worst part is I brought my car in for oil change, and a check engine light fix for a minor evap code. It was a purge valve I had been waiting 4 months to come in. So I literally just wanted that fixed and they did the recall update without informing me or asking me. What a bummer.
Ugh! Sorry man. Is it a law in Canada they have to do a recall if you bring your vehicle in? It's not here in the states (where we breath beautiful freedom every time we step outside), but I'm not up-to-date on law up north.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Ugh! Sorry man. Is it a law in Canada they have to do a recall if you bring your vehicle in? It's not here in the states (where we breath beautiful freedom every time we step outside), but I'm not up-to-date on law up north.
Don't you mean "where we're occasionally given permission to breathe - provided we've had all our shots and are carrying our hall pass"? OT I know, but I'm not feeling our air is any better than our northern neighbors... and quite a bit more smoggy on some days actually. :rolleyes:

@Davedaveee That sucks, but I get it. Certainly would be nice to get a head's up on that... especially since it seems like they possibly didn't have your car on a charger at the time. At least that seems to be one of the primary reasons for getting the "partial update" issue.

I've had updates done without my express permission before - although not on this car (yet). Thankfully there wasn't ever a problem, but I was irritated nonetheless. I think many SA's think it's good customer service to just include any outstanding TSB's or recalls that show up at the time of your visit. To be fair, if they didn't brick your headunit and wipe your tune - I'd probably agree with that presumption.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Don't you mean "where we're occasionally given permission to breathe - provided we've had all our shots and are carrying our hall pass"? OT I know, but I'm not feeling our air is any better than our northern neighbors... and quite a bit more smoggy on some days actually. :rolleyes:
It was a joke.

AirAlexie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Had my recall done along with an oil change this past Saturday. No issues what do ever. Loving my full screen car play and definitely noticing that it’s braking better.

was also really impressed how the MasterTech ( only one allowed to touch Supra’s-from customer hand off point to customer pick up) doesn’t work on them on a lift. He works on them on a brand new state of the art Hunter alignment machine.

he’s made it a “ best practice “ thing to give any Supra he’s working on a soft alignment when he’s done doing whatever he’s gotta do. Which is awesome.

I definitely noticed my car driving more tighter and straighter Than what it was when I initially dropped it off. I came to find Out that they kinda go around and tighten things up for you, also grease/lubricate things if they can. Clean up the brakes etc.

those small little touches makes a difference. I love it when Mechanics take pride in their work and make sure to give the Car back better then it came in. Granted if it’s nothing major of course.

dealership I deal With is in Massachusetts. They again also only let the MasterTech touch it. Who in this case is a grown ass man in his mid 40’s. Not some punk ass scrawny vape Boi.

sitting pretty at home. Really feel bad for those who get these horrific experiences.

1D28E061-8527-4016-BB54-C7ACB5886197.jpeg

HOV_Built

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Off-topic, but which Recaro's do you have?
Sorry for the late reply. Recaro Sportsters CS A190 Editions

Just dropped my Supra off at the dealer but couldn’t reset the Airbag lights by unplugging the battery after re-installing my factory seats. Tech should be able to do it before starting the process.

Regardless of the hassle, I’m glad I’m getting this out if the way. After doing my research, these cars are “too smart” to just put a resistor in for the seats airbags. The Airbag Module still needs to sense the Seat Control Module smh.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Man I feel for y’all who have to get the head unit replaced. Anybody know how long the back order is?

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Happy to report that I got my recall update and only experienced the expected side effects, like re-coding everything in Bimmercode.

OH, but those morons did drop something on my front bumper and chip the paint down to the plastic :)

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Happy to report that I got my recall update and only experienced the expected side effects, like re-coding everything in Bimmercode.

OH, but those morons did drop something on my front bumper and chip the paint down to the plastic :)
That sucks... had something similar happen to mine when they were charging the battery... chipped to primer on the fender edge. Barely noticeable with the hood closed unless you know where to look, but irritating regardless. Need to get around to hitting that with the touch-up paint.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Man I feel for y’all who have to get the head unit replaced. Anybody know how long the back order is?
The head units, since Toyota is trashing about 15% of them, are back ordered until mid 2022. Interestingly, and I pointed this out before, BMW dealerships which are also handling the same recall, have had very very few head unit fails.

It’s not the Supra, it’s the techs— Incompetence, not giving a fuck (with some notable exceptions like the one mentioned above in MA), and treating the Supra like a “fancy Corolla” (chipping it, denting it). Hell, I had a buddy who found garbage from McDonalds under his seat and miles on his odometer that corresponded to a round trip to the nearest McDonalds.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hell, I had a buddy who found garbage from McDonalds under his seat and miles on his odometer that corresponded to a round trip to the nearest McDonalds.
I'd put money on his kids taking it out for a joy ride! ?