NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I don't want to spread wrong information, but I wonder this could be an opportunity. hear me out.

- we know 2021 cars are hardware locked. you will need a hardware key or software to unlock.
- with this recall, toyota/bmw will have to update locked ECU.
- which means, Toyota/BMW will have to UNLOCK the ECU if they have to update it.
- I'm sure one of the step is re-lock the ECU after update is done.
- Is it possible for them to leave it UNLOCKed?

perhaps it is taking it longer to provide solution because they are not fully equipped for unlock capability? If all this is true, perhaps 2021 owners have opportunity to jail break and 2022 owners will be screwed?

just babbling out loud... :lol:
This isn't right, because "unlocked" makes it sound like something that it's not. We use the words "locked/unlocked" to actually referring to a signing key. They don't have to do any kind of "unlock" to flash the ECU. The update will be signed, and the updating software will also be signed.
Sponsored

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
This isn't right, because "unlocked" makes it sound like something that it's not. We use the words "locked/unlocked" to actually referring to a signing key. They don't have to do any kind of "unlock" to flash the ECU. The update will be signed, and the updating software will also be signed.
Exactly. Just like every other form of modern encryption... if it didn't work that way, then accessing or transferring data would require an "open box" every time and be little better than no security at all. Probably easier to describe as allowed/prohibited rather than unlocked/locked (although that analogy would have other misinterpretations possibly).

pittperson

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV
So is this a mechanical issue or a software issue... I know everything says "software". If they don't have a solution for it yet (i.e. ready in October), how was the facebook dude able to have the work done and drive away in a safe car?

I want Toyota to overnight by ECU to CA and back, and pay to have it unlocked again.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So is this a mechanical issue or a software issue... I know everything says "software". If they don't have a solution for it yet (i.e. ready in October), how was the facebook dude able to have the work done and drive away in a safe car?

I want Toyota to overnight by ECU to CA and back, and pay to have it unlocked again.
Bad software causes the hardware/brake booster to do bad things and fail. The mechanical parts that broke because of a software fault have been repaired. In the Facebook dude's particular case, I would imagine that the double-tap-soft-brake-press could happen again until the software is fixed to prevent it from happening a second time.

SavageGTR34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Guys I worked at Toyota for 10 years as a mechanic for 9 and my last year as a service writer and atleast in IN I’ve never heard of them not allowing you to renew your registration if you didn’t complete a recall. Not sure what state your in that does that but you really should consider moving. As far as the recall itself goes I can tell you ALL this. Regardless if you take your vehicle in for something totally separate….ALL techs will hook up the scan tool to your computer to see if any recalls or TSB are open on your VIN and since the tech pay is crap they will perform them so they can get extra time and money out of your car.
This was required of us so we could squeeze as much money from Toyota as possible so I’m pretty sure all dealers do this. You may request not to allow them but aside from putting a covers and key lock box over your obd port your screwed cuz they’ll do it anyway. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Guys I worked at Toyota for 10 years as a mechanic for 9 and my last year as a service writer and atleast in IN I’ve never heard of them not allowing you to renew your registration if you didn’t complete a recall. Not sure what state your in that does that but you really should consider moving. As far as the recall itself goes I can tell you ALL this. Regardless if you take your vehicle in for something totally separate….ALL techs will hook up the scan tool to your computer to see if any recalls or TSB are open on your VIN and since the tech pay is crap they will perform them so they can get extra time and money out of your car.
This was required of us so we could squeeze as much money from Toyota as possible so I’m pretty sure all dealers do this. You may request not to allow them but aside from putting a covers and key lock box over your obd port your screwed cuz they’ll do it anyway. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
In California, they absolutely do prevent registration renewal if certain recalls are pending for your vehicle. Of course, it has nothing to do with safety, and only with environmental issues. My Ram 2500 had an outstanding recall for a transmission solenoid that caused inefficient shifting or some such nonsense and I was not able to renew my registration until it was completed. I had to get the dealer to sign off on a form that was then submitted to the DMV as proof. Of course, the DMV did not mention the 4 other recalls that were outstanding on the truck, all of which had an element of diminished safety. So, I suspect that, at least in California, as this is a safety issue and not an environmental concern, there will be absolutely no involvement from the DMV.

Always good to know California is looking out for your best interests.

SavageGTR34

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
In California, they absolutely do prevent registration renewal if certain recalls are pending for your vehicle. Of course, it has nothing to do with safety, and only with environmental issues. My Ram 2500 had an outstanding recall for a transmission solenoid that caused inefficient shifting or some such nonsense and I was not able to renew my registration until it was completed. I had to get the dealer to sign off on a form that was then submitted to the DMV as proof. Of course, the DMV did not mention the 4 other recalls that were outstanding on the truck, all of which had an element of diminished safety. So, I suspect that, at least in California, as this is a safety issue and not an environmental concern, there will be absolutely no involvement from the DMV.

Always good to know California is looking out for your best interests.
Yaaaa sorry but the hell with Cali. Way over regulated and CARB thinks they are the end all be all of emissions. If I wanted to live in a state like that I’d choose China or North Korea. Weather might be nice but smog, dry all the time, constant fires, and of course high crime and taxes are just many that are pushing people out. Place is like living in a sweat lodge.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yaaaa sorry but the hell with Cali. Way over regulated and CARB thinks they are the end all be all of emissions. If I wanted to live in a state like that I’d choose China or North Korea. Weather might be nice but smog, dry all the time, constant fires, and of course high crime and taxes are just many that are pushing people out. Place is like living in a sweat lodge.
Yeah, there are so many better reasons to leave than silly DMV registration restrictions. Don't even get me started.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
The DMV,taxes, and natural disaster discussion is interesting and all but still wondering if anyone knows if this recall will wipe out all of my coding??

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The DMV,taxes, and natural disaster discussion is interesting and all but still wondering if anyone knows if this recall will wipe out all of my coding??
yeah, probably. Just recode it. Bimmercode saves backups and configurations.

Z4UPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yep, read this yesterday. What really pisses me off is no call from Toyota dealer. I only found out when this tread started. Also they said they'd send safety recall letter in the mail by October 1st. So what to do for now??????????
Don't depend on the dealer to send you notifications. I got the email from CarFax and a notification from NHTSA. Download both apps on your phone and set up your car information.

sbodnar

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2015 ML400, 2014 CLA, 2007 G35X
Unfortunately the rear quarter got dented by a tool chest that fell, so at the body shop now. Guy just called and said the rear bumper sensors are saying disconnected after they reinstalled the bumper. He is having the Toyota tech bring a scanner to the shop and reset, instead of driving to the dealership. After seeing this thread, I told him not to change any settings or overwrite firmware, just reset the rear sensor. I’ll plug my iPad with Bootmod in when I go to the shop and check tune. Fingers crossed!

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Seems like you know all about security on this.

But you are talking about message level encryption. I'm talking about access level security. we are speaking of different type of security and for you to say this is not right is saying, "that orange is not an apple." perhaps these ECU's have both access level & message type security. perhaps it's using SHA hash and AES encryption. perhaps they have their own encryption or different way to secure it beyond you and my knowledge. who knows? most automotive application security only involves access level. I could be wrong and it only uses message level security. But I have not yet seen any strong IT system uses message level security only. most cases, access level and then message level is added if necessary.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
LOLOLOLOL. Riiiight, move states because of a car.
I know many folks who have done it - many of them are big into racing and love their cars. They moved from liberal braindead California to Montana.
Sponsored