Nissan GTR vs Supra

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Mazda RX8, 2021 Toyota Supra (ordered)
Has anyone ever driven or even cross shopped a used GTR to a new Supra? I've had my deposit down on my Supra for months, but still waiting on its arrival. Both have always been dream cars. I had assumed my wife wouldn't play ball on the GTR given the used examples are still a little more expensive, but apparently she is game for it. Anyone have any thoughts? My head tells me I'm going to stick with the Supra, but the little kid in me still has eyes for the GTR. The GTR ride quality I hear leaves a lot to be desired.
Sponsored

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
I always thought the R35 was hideous. Looks aside have you factor in maintenance cost? I was told it wasn't cheap to keep up with those things.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AW A90
Try and look for a used GTR 2016+ and up that doesn't have more than 3 owners and less than $70k. Plus the cars are old/dated bigtime inside unless it's a couple years old. They're just still too expensive IMO.

OP
OP

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I've always thought the back end of the R35 was gorgeous. The front end I feel less strongly about. The 2017 MY was definitely a nice face lift. As far as insurance goes, I expect them to not be too terribly different. The monthly payment will suck more on the GTR for sure. Maintenance costs are also a main concern I have. Complete brake jobs cost 3-5k if you do it yourself, more at the dealer. Also scheduled trans fluid maintenance, diff fluid, etc. I think all those things combined, plus the less refined cabin, harsher ride, make me more inclined to stick with the Supra. The Supra I also just feel may be TOO refined now. Definitely will want to do a cold air intake and downpipe.

OP
OP

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Try and look for a used GTR 2016+ and up that doesn't have more than 3 owners and less than $70k. Plus the cars are old/dated bigtime inside unless it's a couple years old. They're just still too expensive IMO.
I think the best deal I've seen so far is a 2016 with 2 owners, currently 19k miles listed for 75k. I think that priced would be negotiable as well. The GTRs do hold their value well, but the market is definitely more volatile with the COVID climate.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
The GTRs do hold their value well
One nice aspect of a GTR is their ability to hold value. You know the Supra is going to drop like a rock after a few years. That used GTR that's $75k will be $65k-$70k still in 5 years. The Supra will be worth half. 911's have that unique ability to maintain value at a certain age.

OP
OP

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's definitely something worth considering. It almost makes you wonder if you could pick up a GTR now and then maybe snag a newer Supra later on even with some depreciation after you've had your GTR fix.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
That's definitely something worth considering. It almost makes you wonder if you could pick up a GTR now and then maybe snag a newer Supra later on even with some depreciation after you've had your GTR fix.
"IF" that GTR doesn't break you in maintenance and repairs during that time LOL. I guess that's my worry about a GTR or 911 for that matter. Any of those two models I would be buying used and out of warranty. Maintenance is a lot and I would think a 911 would fair better than a GTR for some sort of mechanical failure but they aren't immune from it. If the motor pops on a 911 you're easily looking at $20-30k, GTR tranny $7-9k. etc... Ouch!!

OP
OP

Baperrin

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That transmission definitely is the thing that's scary. Funny when you think that the high boost twin turbo isn't the thing you're worried about on that car . Both the Supra and GTR have been dream cars. I think my heart says GTR but my head says Supra.

Stuhagen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SupraMKiV-R35GTR
I have owned my R35 since Oct 2008. As of today, only money spent on it was tires and oil change. Brake pads/disc maybe soon. I also own 2 MKiVs for 20 years. I am at the point where I actually prefer driving the GTR. More civil but I also have a bone stock 1994 Supra and I do drive that often. Possible downside on GTR is it is limited to HP if keeping stock. Like 570-600whp. Any more can cause issues without spending money on building the tranny.

I cannot vouch on drive-ability on a MKV because I haven't driven one. I do not think I would like it too much just because it is so small compared to the GTR and Supra. I somewhat disagree on technology differences between GTR and MKV. However do agree on GTR lack of Bluetooth and other connectivity devices that are becoming universal now to all new cars (these can be added to a GTR FWIW)

I will get flamed here but I do think the new MKV is hideous looking. it just has way too much shit going on for the body with the fake vents, curves, recesses etc. I also understand interior is a bit tight. But I also hear it is a "drivers" car and handles well. I also do not care about the fact it is more BMW. I look at the new MKV as just a new "sports car" with no allegiance to Toyota or BMW really.

You will ask 100 people this question and each answer is totally Biased. You will have to do your own intel and if a GTR is a real possibility then go drive one. I am deep into the GTR world just as I am into the Supra. You can find some real nice GTRs for around $50k that are under 30k miles and in real good condition. Hell for that matter you could probably buy a used MKV now for under $35K possibly.

As a side note, i have driven MANY cars and have raced a few but when it comes to a GTR there is none better on handling.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
As a side note, i have driven MANY cars and have raced a few but when it comes to a GTR there is none better on handling.
That seems a very far stretched statement, but I respect your opinion. :thumbsup:

This is a very personal preference question and not sure asking for opinion on a Supra forum really going to give you any useful data to make that purchase decision. Totally different car and depends on what you want to do with it, you will get different answer IMO. Good luck. I think you will come out with a fun/exciting car to drive regardless of the decision.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Blue
I've watched a few YouTubers that after upgrading their Supra, you could tell they didn't like the GTR as much. I def have lost favor on front end, those headlights did not age well. Big diff is the awd, which will change driving dynamics a lot.
Sponsored