Nissan GTR vs Supra

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I just recently watched this video. He definitely has some solid points. The area that I brought up in the comments was depreciation. While the Supra is definitely the better performance bargain and is cheaper over all especially when talking about new. A person could buy a used GTR like him and enjoy it for a few years and not loose hardly any money on it when they go to sell. That will not be the case for the Supra.
This review is pointless, its comparing apples vs oranges. Your comparing a $100k+ car to a $50k+ car..(Brand New)

And also, its a Toyota so depreciation won't be that bad. I would take the A90 all day long over the GTR....

I would never buy an used high performance car.... Its a simple choice really between an used 2014 ragged out GTR vs a brand new 2020 A90 with warranty!
Sponsored

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
This review is pointless, its comparing apples vs oranges. Your comparing a $100k+ car to a $50k+ car..(Brand New)

And also, its a Toyota so depreciation won't be that bad. I would take the A90 all day long over the GTR....

I would never buy an used high performance car.... Its a simple choice really between an used 2014 ragged out GTR vs a brand new 2020 A90 with warranty!
As for depreciation goes I don't believe the Supra will fair as well as a Tacoma or 4Runner for example. Not that it has to be said but we all know this Toyota is 99% BMW, just because it has a Toyota emblem doesn't make it a Toyota or have the re-sell that most Toyota's have. BMW's drop like a rock in value and I feel like this will have an affect on the a90. I don't believe it will be as bad as bmw's but not as great as toyota's. I think the a90 supra is a fantastic car, I don't really care who makes it personally but the fact is this has been one of the most controversial cars and there's an overwhelming amount of dislike for it which we will effect re-sell in a few years.

The warranty is a perk of buying a Supra but just because the GTR is used doesn't mean it's ragged out. I've had 22 vehicles over the years and guess what, all of them have been used and I've never had any serious issues. Some of these being performance cars as well.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
As for depreciation goes I don't believe the Supra will fair as well as a Tacoma or 4Runner for example. Not that it has to be said but we all know this Toyota is 99% BMW, just because it has a Toyota emblem doesn't make it a Toyota or have the re-sell that most Toyota's have. BMW's drop like a rock in value and I feel like this will have an affect on the a90. I don't believe it will be as bad as bmw's but not as great as toyota's. I think the a90 supra is a fantastic car, I don't really care who makes it personally but the fact is this has been one of the most controversial cars and there's an overwhelming amount of dislike for it which we will effect re-sell in a few years.
Fully agreed. I think Matt Farrah said it best on his review of the MY21 car, in saying that the MY20 Supras will probably feel the depreciation more since the MY21 cars would probably have interest, given the power bump and other upgrades (small, but still there).

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I did not really cross-shop a used GT-R for my Supra, but I looked at lightly used GT-R's at one point.

The biggest issue I had was these lightly used ones had history of work done at the dealership for warranty work according to CarFax. Sometimes I saw history of the car going in 2nd and 3rd time for the same issues. That was a red flag for me.. spending over $80K, I would rather just spend the balance to buy a new one.

As for holding value, there is no doubt the GT-R will hold its value more so than my regular Supra Premium... especially come 20-25yrs from now when they become classics.

Nathwraith

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2022 Aston DBX 707
As a side note, i have driven MANY cars and have raced a few but when it comes to a GTR there is none better on handling.
I disagree. Owned a 2017 GTR, changed it for a 2016 NSX. Light years ahead in chassis and handling dynamics. GTR is old hat now.

He_drives

First Name
Fayadh aldoseri
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk iv supra, r35 Gtr , ap2 s2000, s14 Silvia , gd sti, grb sti, 997.2 gt3, w12 C-GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've own an r35 for the last 7 years it's fabulous car low maintenance and reliable super car killer and feels super in every aspect it is aging for sure but it's a legend. Owend the gr supra for few days it's a sports car light easy to drive different platform but didn't feel as special as driving the GTR. Even driven 500whp gr supra it's not as epic as stock GTR.
I've daily dreven the gtr for 3 years of owner ship and I loved it. The gr supra is smaller way smaller for all the trips.
Yet they are both great cars and fun. One more thing the gtr well get you in trouble faster. The gtr is stored and the gr supra is my main daily now

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
GTR still feels amazing to me, maybe because I haven't officially owned one yet so I haven't had months of seat time in one. Still, everytime I drive a GTR it amazes me how fast it is even in today's arena of supercars. Even though Nissan hasn't done a major change to it in years, it has evolved very nicely and honestly last year production of the R35's will be superb (dialed in, all bugs worked out, etc...) My brother picked up a 2021 Supra and it truly does feel different than the 2020 that I drove months ago. Also, the 2021's have the better head design if im not mistaken, which will continue to add value to the 2021+.

I will say this though, the Supra does have the attributes of a true sports car in terms of things like whipping out the rear end when needed. With mods, it can keep up and even beat a stock GTR. I wouldn't be surprised to see more A90's showing up in TX2Kxxx events in the future in the top charts.

A_Warm_Gun

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition, 2004 Subaru WRX (Modded)
Has anyone ever driven or even cross shopped a used GTR to a new Supra? I've had my deposit down on my Supra for months, but still waiting on its arrival. Both have always been dream cars. I had assumed my wife wouldn't play ball on the GTR given the used examples are still a little more expensive, but apparently she is game for it. Anyone have any thoughts? My head tells me I'm going to stick with the Supra, but the little kid in me still has eyes for the GTR. The GTR ride quality I hear leaves a lot to be desired.
I feel a GTR is going to leave a stock Supra in the dust in many categories. Also, depending on where you live, the all wheel drive would prove helpful for winter driving (not to mention off the line acceleration). That said, I love my Supra. It is fantastic to drive and you will get a ton of attention in it. It punches way above it's paygrade in that regard. Super livable daily driver in comfort mode and very thrilling to drive in sport mode. If I were you, I'd go for a brand new Supra any day over a preowned gtr, 911, amg (fill in the blank), etc...

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
I would advise on buying the GR Supra only if you have intention of modding it.
The biggest (IMO only advantage) supra has over a GTR is the modding cost and capability. GR Supras are super cheap to make HP compared to the GTR. But other than that, IMO gtr sounds so good, looks aggressive, and performs better in terms of stock vs stock.

alexsvoss

First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
I would advise on buying the GR Supra only if you have intention of modding it.
The biggest (IMO only advantage) supra has over a GTR is the modding cost and capability. GR Supras are super cheap to make HP compared to the GTR. But other than that, IMO gtr sounds so good, looks aggressive, and performs better in terms of stock vs stock.
the supra with a downpipe + Catback will sound as good as the gtr in my opinion

BigTeamBattles

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Vehicle Showcase
the supra with a downpipe + Catback will sound as good as the gtr in my opinion
but as mods, GTR with armytrix sound so better than my supra + downpipe. Maybe catback will change my sound, but haven't seen much online that really changes how the car sounds

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know. GTR sounds mediocre in my opinion. It doesn't matter what exhaust you put on, they all end up sounding the same. Too raspy especially if they rid of the muffler and cat.

On the other hand, the Supra has that BMW farts that I would want to get rid of too.

Jon H

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 GT-R, 2021 Supra, X7
I don't know. GTR sounds mediocre in my opinion. It doesn't matter what exhaust you put on, they all end up sounding the same. Too raspy especially if they rid of the muffler and cat.

On the other hand, the Supra has that BMW farts that I would want to get rid of too.
I liked how mine sounded with downpipes, resonated midpipe and stock exhaust. GT-Rs def sound unique and you can tell when one is coming. My Supra doesn't really sound that special and is one thing I'll miss from the GT-R.

Thinking about getting one white_turbo or did you get one already? Good to see you over here.
Sponsored