👣 Official: Toyota Announces Manual Transmission Supra!

Only interested if it comes in manual?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Do younger drivers these days even know how to operate a "manual"? :p
The younger drivers that can afford a Supra, they probably can
Sponsored

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
Manual cars are fun and engaging. My manual cars were never my daily rides and something I could enjoy on the weekends or my days off. Never about speed for me...if you want to go really fast there are other modes of transport that can scratch that itch.

tadda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 C8 Corvette Z51 2LT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The younger drivers that can afford a Supra, they probably can
HUH?

My point was that younger drivers probably never have even driven or learned how to use a manual!

btw...I spent most of my life having nothing but manual sports cars...I honestly don't miss it at all!

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to disagree with you here - 12 and 11 second cars are fast - especially when the normal public is tooling around in minivans, trucks and 4 cylinder appliances - however speed is relative as we know.

If you want something really technical, fast, manual - you should try riding sportbikes if you haven't already - that will get your amygdala firing.

Of course it's all a matter of perspective. From my perspective 300-500HP hasn't been fast since the early 00's. A stock or bolt-on MKV --- definitely not fast. The car is quite numb and undramatic. Having built a number of 700-1200HP cars will do that, I guess.

That said, speed/power and the fun factor can be mutually exclusive. I'd much rather bang gears in an 11 sec car vs. mash the pedal and hold the wheel straight in an 8 sec car. Hell my AP1 is painfully 'slow' but one of the most entertaining cars I've ever owned. At the end of the day it's simply about having fun. The people parroting 'autos are faster than manual' are completely missing the point, IMO.

My sport bike phase has come and gone. Aviation is the final frontier. :thumbsup:

Attachments

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
HUH?

My point was that younger drivers probably never have even driven or learned how to use a manual!

btw...I spent most of my life having nothing but manual sports cars...I honestly don't miss it at all!
I believe the current MKV owners probably wouldn't care about the manual, that's why they own the car now. The ones that actually do care, are holding out and possibly the targets of Toyota. But there is still no true direction if they are going to release this manual yet. It's just available and engineered to be ready.

My meaning was if the younger people have the money for the MKV, chances are they have had the money to toy around with other sports cars in the past...which probably consists of manual transmission cars.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I already have 4 manual cars. Dont need another one. Funny thing is that all of them were never offered with an auto trans. Quite the opposite of the Supra.

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
I love driving manual but I am honestly very happy with the zf and don't think I would go out of my way to switch if the option was available.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
Aviation is the final frontier. :thumbsup:
Amen to that.

I went to the EAA Airventure this year and to see the fighter jet they had (F14? F35? not sure) blasting around and maneuvering like nothing in the air really made me want one bad...not like that would ever happen.

There is something about being in something that can push all the blood to your head and toes with ease that makes me giddy.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
?‍♂ smh I’m only 20 and still too mature to fight over an opinion on the internet..

Some people never grow up

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sharing opinions and discussing ≠ fighting
You'd have same discussions with your friends face to face. At least I hope. Don't know how 20 year old's communicate these days..

FYI, subject is "would you buy it".
Don't let this mentality hinder you from expressing your feelings/thoughts.

rotary heart

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91 Edition, 2004 IS 300
When I was searching into buying it I would probably have selected the manual version. Because my last (and first) auto was my IS300 and that tranny is really bad. After 1 year of driving the supra I can definitely say that no, I will not be looking into a manual version.

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Norris @ p2uned
That is fast. How much cash is sunk into that to make it that fast....and if 1/4 strip is your goal...Is the Supra the best platform?
I'm sure there is not an easy answer to that question...but you know arguments can be made in every direction from different viewpoints in the Tuner Universe. You can put $$$ into most anything to make it fast....maybe not 8 sec fast...but you get the point. Still majority of Supra's builds are going to be slower than other builds started on some other common platforms. ie. Supercharged american V8s & Nissan TTV6.

I think he’s just talking stock. As if any of us bought a tuner car for the warranty. Keeping a gtr/supra stock is a sin
I didn't buy a Supra to be a street king...or else I would have went with a different platform. The Supra is a quick car...but its definitely the slowest of all my car friend's cars..save one mustang GT one of my buddies modded. I can't tune my Supra yet..and when I can I will look into tuning it to make it more fun. However I don't think it will change much in the "food chain" of performance cars even after the mods. I still don't think I'm gunna be faster than my brother's tuned Hellcats, ZR1s and Z06s. Anyway.... I plan to enjoy the car on road courses mainly in the future. My brothers won't touch a roadcourse because they say that's crazy talk...different goals....different opinions. I still think a manual will be better....will it make it a better 1/4 mile car?....eh...you'll still be in the same rung in the street racing foodchain auto or manual.

Still I think the Supra is a great car even without the manual...but if it had a manual...I'd love it WAY more.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.