Ohlins Road & Track

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
i've never tried these but they're a cheap and effective way to increase spring rate if you dont want to go down the coilover route.

https://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1796&prodid=7189&pagetitle=Deep-Groove-Coil-Over-Spring-Rubber---5/5.5"

with lowering springs, you need to swap or cut bump stops, mess with ride height and roll centers. other than asthetics, it's debatable whether lowering ride height actually makes your car faster.
Found out stock height was good for me. Or just a pinch lower. Too low, regardless of the coilovers or springs, and rub can become a factor on track. For the front tires at least.

Rubbing Damage Fixed With Added Benefit | SupraMKV - 2020+ Toyota Supra Forum (A90 MKV Generation)
Sponsored

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
a lot of potential issues when you go too low.

front struts begin to gain positive camber past certain compression.
roll center height decreases and the car rolls even more.
riding on bump stops even more.

a note regarding bump stops. i'm almost certain the OEM suspension tuning strategy relies on running on the bump stops. you can google how long the OEM bump stops are and the amount of shock travel the OEM shocks have.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a lot of potential issues when you go too low.

front struts begin to gain positive camber past certain compression.
roll center height decreases and the car rolls even more.
riding on bump stops even more.

a note regarding bump stops. i'm almost certain the OEM suspension tuning strategy relies on running on the bump stops. you can google how long the OEM bump stops are and the amount of shock travel the OEM shocks have.
What did you decide to go with? And have you tracked yours yet?

Hindsight is always 20/20. For me at least. I should have stayed stock, looking back. Bought parts as they started to wear/fail. Iā€™ve had dedicated track cars before. The plan was to keep this car as a daily as well. However, Iā€™m happy where she is right now. A pinch too sharp for the street and dynoMight fun on track.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
What did you decide to go with? And have you tracked yours yet?

Hindsight is always 20/20. For me at least. I should have stayed stock, looking back. Bought parts as they started to wear/fail. Iā€™ve had dedicated track cars before. The plan was to keep this car as a daily as well. However, Iā€™m happy where she is right now. A pinch too sharp for the street and dynoMight fun on track.
Iā€™m keeping the car 100% stock as a weekend cruiser.

Picked up a GR86 instead for Autox and track duty. Itā€™ll be running in D Street, which only allow wheels, tires, front sway, and fixed spring perch shocks. OEM springs only but you can swap bump stops for additional spring rates. Got Koni yellows because the alternative legal shock is 6k MCS shocks.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
i think you're spot on. ohlins is designed for a street and occasional track day setup.

why choose ohlins over other street/track hybrid coilovers? probably the assumption that ohlins provides better valving and craftsmanship. if you're running your coilovers close to OEM height and assuming the valving was correct given the spring rate, they'll all probably ride pretty well since you won't be engaging the bump stops a lot.

are MCS, JRZ, and Nitron coilovers better? yeah hands down. are they worth double the price of ohlins if you only visit the track 6x a year? probably not.
Well how about R&T with track oriented spring rates? like 700/1300 divorced. Ofc needs a revalve but they can take it. + Ohlins are the most durable, can take winter, salt, fall mud and live. Less frequent and cheaper service intervals too. Blow a Nitron and U wait sometimes for weeks to get it done. Race suspensions are cool when they work and are serviced frequently for maximum performance +if U have good serive around. Thats the info I got from shop that setup GT race cars around here.
I need a durable set that can take everyday beating, can be run at stock height and can be revalved for stiffer springs. R&T does that and doesnt cost fortune. Also, I'm not going to tweak and spend time between sessions to setup for every track i go to, so single will do for now. Maybe if I transform supra into pure track car 1day then I'll do Nitron R3...
I didnt buy coils yet, coz Bilstein EVO R is tempting but... Ohlins seem like more logical/safer choice.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Well how about R&T with track oriented spring rates? like 700/1300 divorced. Ofc needs a revalve but they can take it. + Ohlins are the most durable, can take winter, salt, fall mud and live. Less frequent and cheaper service intervals too. Blow a Nitron and U wait sometimes for weeks to get it done. Race suspensions are cool when they work and are serviced frequently for maximum performance +if U have good serive around. Thats the info I got from shop that setup GT race cars around here.
I need a durable set that can take everyday beating, can be run at stock height and can be revalved for stiffer springs. R&T does that and doesnt cost fortune. Also, I'm not going to tweak and spend time between sessions to setup for every track i go to, so single will do for now. Maybe if I transform supra into pure track car 1day then I'll do Nitron R3...
I didnt buy coils yet, coz Bilstein EVO R is tempting but... Ohlins seem like more logical/safer choice.
The factory Ohlins valving can take another 25% in spring rates without re-valve.

I agree with your assessment. The Ohlins are a good compromise if the car sees daily usage. Most donā€™t need more than 1 way adjustments either.

The Bilstein Evo R are interesting but not available for US market. They appear to be better than the Ohlins since thereā€™s more oil capacity. Ohlins RT uses plug and play oil cartridges, so itā€™s a bit of a compromise.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The factory Ohlins valving can take another 25% in spring rates without re-valve.

I agree with your assessment. The Ohlins are a good compromise if the car sees daily usage. Most donā€™t need more than 1 way adjustments either.

The Bilstein Evo R are interesting but not available for US market. They appear to be better than the Ohlins since thereā€™s more oil capacity. Ohlins RT uses plug and play oil cartridges, so itā€™s a bit of a compromise.
Well, I have full aero installed so need prob more than 25%. Stock RT is ~510/920 spring rate. I wanna go around ~700/1300 from the start with the revalving. +some Millway motorsports stuff to add to it (camber plates, monoballs, solid subframe mounts)
Im EU so I can get evo r (they r for zure better than RT), but they lower at least 20mm and i dont want that...
I use car on daily too, so speed bumps, weird angles, driving in rain or snow are things to consider :) Will see how it turns out in the end i guess....

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Getting close to my last track weekend until October. Iā€™d like to get my Ohlins serviced during that down period. Anyone you recommend in the States? One place I found:

https://3dmmotorsport.com/products/ohlins-dfv-rebuild-service

I havenā€™t asked my shop yet if they buy the kit and do it there or if they get sent out. How does the servicing of other coilovers compare to the Ohlins? Out of curiosity. Sounds like @Islindur might know the answer to this question as well.

Asking for anyone else considering coilovers for their Supra and like me. Enjoy learning more from knowledgeable folk like yā€™all.

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra
Getting close to my last track weekend until October. Iā€™d like to get my Ohlins serviced during that down period. Anyone you recommend in the States? One place I found:

I havenā€™t asked my shop yet if they buy the kit and do it there or if they get sent out. How does the servicing of other coilovers compare to the Ohlins? Out of curiosity. Sounds like @Islindur might know the answer to this question as well.

Asking for anyone else considering coilovers for their Supra and like me. Enjoy learning more from knowledgeable folk like yā€™all.
Shaftworks is another option.

https://shaftworksusa.com/products/...31719&pr_ref_pid=7311740076199&pr_seq=uniform

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I'm in EU so cant really comment but I heared Barry at 3DM knows ohlins very well and he pro at it. Hes getting mentionned a lot on BMW M forums too as the person to go to. So I'd contact them and ask about it all.
How is servicing i dont really know, i just had an 1h chat with pro motorsport shop and they told me something like TTX (coz i considered it) just needs more work and way more frequent rebuilds.
I talked with the guy who has R&T revalved to 12/22k and he happy with it, full verus aero setup.

Last edited:

noogie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I think if youā€™re leaning more towards a track setup, you should go with higher spring rate valving from the beginning vs revalving the Ohlins.

something like shaftworks 1 way will have the proper valving from the get go.

https://shaftworksusa.com/collectio...ts/toyota-supra-mkv-a90-91-bilanx-competition

if you want the fancy stuff, then you can always look at MCS, Nitron, JRZ.
I'm in EU so cant really comment but I heared Barry at 3DM knows ohlins very well and he pro at it. Hes getting mentionned a lot on BMW M forums too as the person to go to. So I'd contact them and ask about it all.
How is servicing i dont really know, i just had an 1h chat with pro motorsport shop and they told me something like TTX (coz i considered it) just needs more work and way more frequent rebuilds.
I talked with the guy who has R&T revalved to 12/22k and he happy with it, full verus aero setup.
You guys are awesome! Thx ā˜ŗ

Iā€™m so happy with my current Ohlins, Iā€™m leaning toward an aftermarket manifold instead. For my next chunk-o-change šŸŖ™, then seats, thenā€¦. Oh snap šŸ«° I better stop. Iā€™ve got so much room on my delta left to work on. Manifold is my next obvious project = less heat soak down here in schweaty florida = more seat time.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You guys are awesome! Thx ā˜ŗ

Iā€™m so happy with my current Ohlins, Iā€™m leaning toward an aftermarket manifold instead. For my next chunk-o-change šŸŖ™, then seats, thenā€¦. Oh snap šŸ«° I better stop. Iā€™ve got so much room on my delta left to work on. Manifold is my next obvious project = less heat soak down here in schweaty florida = more seat time.
Well, manifold is a must to add some point to sustain power... im aiming for ~420whp and that is not gonna hold on stock cooling at 30C (90F) weather... i already had power cut in 2.0, no thx for more :)
Going wagner coz it seems to have ~80% of capability for half of the price of EOS and other stuff.
But I wanna do suspension sobad now, getting sick of stock soft setup :<