Phase 2 Motortrend Rigid Collars for A90 Supra -- Tips, Tricks, Torque

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
This is concerning the Phase 2 Motortrend (P2M) rigid collar kit for the A90 Supra. I am not compensated by or affiliated with this company.

History: Aside from my Supra, I also have a big turbo Genesis Coupe 3.8 that I've been building for 8 years. The Genesis Coupe has a notorious amount of undesirable subframe movement under high-G maneuvers, such that it's not uncommon for people really building out their chassis setup to loosen the subframe bolts and shove the subframes back into place with a big-ass prybar. After that: rigid collars for the subframe bolt holes, and aluminum shims to fill cavities in the subframe bolt bushings, are not uncommon. Tightens everything up real nice, and my own Genesis ran this setup until I swapped the rear subframe for one from another car with a 5L V8.

It's that as a background that I wondered what the subframe situation looked like on the Supra and if rigid collars would be beneficial. After tearing everything apart and doing the install, I wanted to share my general thoughts and tips on what I found.

1) As a starter, you will need (or should have, to make life easier) the following tools:
  • A torque wrench capable of 90 ft-lbs, preferably 1/2" drive for ease of tightening
  • Long-handle 3/8" drive ratchet to break the nut, and an electric ratchet to speed removal -- these bolts are very long
  • Extenders in 6" and 12"
  • The following sockets:
    • 8mm hex for screws securing the plastic splash guards
    • 16mm hex for metal skid plate under the oil pan, plus rear subframe chassis ties (forward tie bolts marked #1, rear tie bolts marked #2)
    • 20mm (maybe 21mm?) hex for two bolts on the front subframe
    • E14 E-Torx to remove two bolts from the rear floor panel brace (#2 marked bolts)
    • E18 E-Torx for 4 of 4 rear subframe bolts, and 2 of 4 front subframe bolts
2) The provided instructions are very poor. Grainy black and white copier printout with no specs, and the bolts you're looking for are hidden by splash guards in their diagram. There's no step-by-step guidance for anyone unfamiliar with this kind of project. In fact, the provided instructions only say "return to factory torque spec" and explain roughly why the collars are numbered. So, disappointed, I dug into what those were and assembled these diagrams for the front and rear.
3) Each bolt has one appropriate collar. The collars are numbered. The provided instructions will show you which collar goes with each bolt. Cross-reference with the below diagrams.

4) The rear subframe bolts are hidden by plastic splash guards (8mm hex). The front subframe bolts are hidden by the metal skid plate under the oil pan (16mm hex) and plastic splash guard (8mm hex).

5) It's very important that you hand tighten all of these bolts to gently feed the collar into the subframe holes. Some of them will be snug, so be prepared to partially install and remove each bolt several times to inspect the collar, ensuring it's not being marred or distorted. Once you are confident the collar is not being damaged, proceed with full installation. My front driver side subframe collar (E18 bolt) was especially tight, and I legitimately checked this bolt 7-8 times with only a few revolutions of hand-tightening before bringing it up to torque. I also test-fit each collar in the bolt hole in the subframe by inserting the collar by hand, before even putting a bolt in the hole.

6) ONLY REMOVE ONE SUBFRAME BOLT AT A TIME. Do one corner at a time, and fully reassemble it to torque prior to moving to the next bolt.

7) This is a very easy install IF you take the right preparatory steps to remove splash guards, skid plates, and chassis braces before attempting to install a collar. If you have any questions, DM me! Overall, fitment was very good and total time took me about 2 hours inclusive of getting distracted by my phone and a beer break.

8) So, do I need the collars? Hard to say. I don't track my car, but the amount of wiggle room in the holes for the subframe bolts are much bigger than the bolts. I can definitely see this leading to some wobble under motion. Unlike the Genesis Coupe, however, the front Supra subframe has more bolts than the Genesis and the rear Supra subframe has chassis ties at all four corners--the Genesis does not. This extra bracing from the Supra somewhat diminishes the need for collars versus other platforms that are less reinforced. But, still: those bolt holes are mighty big. It's a cheap upgrade to bring some additional rigidity, and that's never so bad!

1632949975493.png

1632954906307.png

1632948746213.png

1632948931264.png

1632949026314.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
This is a hell of a write-up - thank you! Didn't even know this component was available for our vehicles. Can't say I've ever had to address this on other cars I've put on the track, but it's interesting. Did you by chance get a picture of how much slack is in the hole on the subframe which these bolts fit into without the collars installed?

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn't take a picture, but the diameter of the bore through the subframe easily leaves 2-3mm gap around the perimeter of the subframe bolts.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I didn't take a picture, but the diameter of the bore through the subframe easily leaves 2-3mm gap around the perimeter of the subframe bolts.
Interesting. Thanks for the information. Just to confirm, while you don't track the car, you haven't felt any difference in the car during spirited driving after installation? I know it's subjective.

OP
OP
Thraxbert

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have not personally felt any difference with spirited driving and I do throw the car around a lot. But, in this case, I wasn't really looking to improve subframe rigidity for the purposes of handling. In this case, I was looking to avoid issues I've experienced with my other car where shifted subframe(s) presented unexpected fitment difficulties with projects I took on down the line.

For example, my Genesis Coupe 3.8L V6 has a big turbo on it. Running the passenger side exhaust collector and the turbo downpipe was unnecessarily difficult because the engine had shifted towards the passenger side and the clearances expected by the hotside piping had disappeared. This also caused issues with running lines for transmission cooling. None of this would've happened if I'd spent the $100 early on in the car's life to collar the subframe, especially the front.

So I consider this an insurance policy for future pains in the ass, and on that front: it will deliver.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
I had rigid collars on my Genesis Coupe too and did feel the difference. Car moved up and down over bumps in a flatter manner. I heard less cracking in my rear deck over curbs and 3 wheeled more often. Then I did it on the G70 and did not feel the difference but I was on stock suspension.

Is this the best offering for rigid collars or are they all the same?
Sponsored