poor service before I buy is this what to expect

Sunstorm

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Yaris, A90 Edition Supra
While my experience with the Toyota dealer has in general been good, it's clear they don't have experience of dealing with Supras. For my servicing, I've used a local independant garage I trust and the one time it had to go back to Toyota (for the safety recall), they were pleasent enough, but took a few days for them to find the infomation on the safety recall and ensure they had a technician in who could do it.

When I went to collect it, they thought I'd had it wrapped. I had to explain to them it is an original factory colour (A90 launch edition)
Sponsored

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
When I attempted to do my 10k mile oil change the other day I asked what the 10k mile service in general entailed (didn't want them to touch my DME), the advisor said they'd rotate my tires :rolleyes:.

Didn't end up getting my oil change there because evidently my car is too low even for the specialized rack they have for the MKV. But yea, service at Toyota is horrible unless you work directly with the service manager. I plan on replacing my MKV with the Lotus Emira if I don't go full electric next year.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
Never owned a Porsche so I cannot compare. But I never expect any quality service from any dealer no matter how expensive that car may be. It's unfortunate but thats the reality that shows dealership need to go.

OP
OP

trevrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ID3 x2 Porsche Cayman
Just throwing a few names up incease you didn't think of them. Some may trade some sportiness for a slightly more GT feeling. I too would love another cayman
but, couldn't bring myself to opt for another 4 cylinder model. Current prices for GTS-GT4 are just to bloated right now.

BMW M2CS
Lexus RC-F
Lexus LC500
Nissan Z
Lotus Emira
Audi RS5
The Lotus looks great but the cost for the launch model is nuts

OP
OP

trevrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ID3 x2 Porsche Cayman
I think itā€™s probably a one off experience, but I also have the feeling that Toyota doesnā€™t put so much into ensuring a uniformly good experience anywhere you are like Porsche does.

Before the Supra I had a Cayman, and it didnā€™t matter whether we went to Kendal, Glasgow, Newcastle, or even Zuffenhausen we got an excellent service.

As for the Supra, my test drive was at my local dealership (Lillyhall/Workington, also a GR Centre, for whatever thatā€™s worth), and I was given the car for as long as I wanted that day. Both @Phil3 and @edz_supra bought theirs from the same dealership.
Prior to driving the Supra, I drove the A110 for an afternoon, and was left rather cold by it - I simply didnā€™t understand the hype when driving it, and was really put off by the carā€˜s electronics shutting off at some lights, requiring a restart. I moved on to looking for a used 991.1 or a 718 GTS 4.0, but ultimately couldnā€™t justify Ā£20k just for an engine upgrade to the GTS from my base. I considered a Mustang for the time it took for me to sit in one, then dismissed it as feeling cheap and nasty on the inside. A TTRS was also on the cards , but my local Audi dealership ruined that idea.

Mine was serviced last May, with the dealership letting me know theyā€™d got the specific Gazoo Racing oil in for the car and their Supra master technician would be doing the job. I think the cost was something around Ā£300 (dirt cheap by Porsche standards!).

In the UK the Supra is incredibly rare. Thereā€™s around 400 of them, so it will feel special whenever youā€™re out in it. Iā€™d also be cautious when reading dealership experiences online for the Supra as it seems the unhinged/unregulated US is a cesspit of terrible dealerships.
Thanks seem you have been on a similar road to me although you struck lucky with the dealer as still not heard from mine Aylesbury Toyota don't bother

Jomartijr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2015 Subaru Forester, 1994 S10 pickup
US dealerships have their profit centers in service and parts depts.
I think that's why so many service depts seem to size the customer up for what they can get out of them instead of providing true customer service. My cynicism has been reinforced by local dealer service dept where I bought my 2021 Supra. They just didnt seem to get that dealing short run cost them long run. And absolutely positively they're not touching my car except for recalls and even then I'll be uneasy with their expertise and customer approach.

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
When I attempted to do my 10k mile oil change the other day I asked what the 10k mile service in general entailed (didn't want them to touch my DME), the advisor said they'd rotate my tires :rolleyes:.

Didn't end up getting my oil change there because evidently my car is too low even for the specialized rack they have for the MKV. But yea, service at Toyota is horrible unless you work directly with the service manager. I plan on replacing my MKV with the Lotus Emira if I don't go full electric next year.
For what its worth, I used to have advisors say this sometimes when scheduling my 370Z for service at the Nissan dealership. Advisors are often clueless about just about everything, regardless of brand. Maybe less true for luxury brands, but I don't have direct experience there.

nc_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Pro
Thanks seem you have been on a similar road to me although you struck lucky with the dealer as still not heard from mine Aylesbury Toyota don't bother
As much of a pain it would be, it could be worth exploring an order with a non-local dealer to see if things are any better, Iā€™d also get in touch with Toyota GB because nothing is going to change if they never get told about naff experiences when people are interested in their halo car.

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
From an ordering perspective I have nothing but praise for Motorline Gatwick.

And hope this will translate into a positive collection and ownership experience.
Sponsored