Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
I don't think there's any community progress that anyone is willing to share unfortunately. You're asking the right question on whether ECUs have been opened though.

Leaked/pirated diagnostic/development software still seems the most likely to me, mainly because hardware hacking has a potential failure rate and I don't think we've heard of Femto breaking anything ever?

From conversations with them it sounds like they could give you a full unlock for any tuning platform, if those companies would share their code. So they've got something which can sign the full writeable area of the ECU.

The only other thing I can think is potentially they've found a way to exploit widely available software like ISTA to sign arbitrary stuff - and are reflashing the ECU with that after sticking it into their own vehicle temporarily. But if this were the case I would have expected more people to have figured it out by now. I'd also be surprised if ISTA or any other tool had the private keys - more likely there are presigned binaries for ECU updates.

Then again I've no idea what anyone's doing so maybe nobody's looked!

What does surprise me is that they haven't developed a remote service. They have their own software, so they're capable of building something that could proxy the comms from the ECU or a scantool, from a shop over to a machine on their site with whatever tooling they need to use.

you are not likely to brick anything with a little bit of voltage glitching ormaybe they found a JTAG interface? Your assumption that they have software because they can load custom bootloaders is likely correct, but as far as I know they can unlock your original DME only partially and to get a full unlock you need a clone. If they can only do that to clones then that still leaves the possibility of hardware hacking on the table, in this case they would only need to do a data dump, and rewrite to an unlockable DME, they wouldnt need write access to the locked DME, while typing all this i realize they do have "some" form of write access on the locked DME as they offer that partial unlock.
Sponsored

Reactions: JP_

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
hat whole bullshit about “They don’t want their method stolen” is not true, there are many ways to encrypt their tool where shops stateside using their unlock wouldn’t be able to reverse engineer it.
The Femto guys are good and definitely not predatory. They have a method to get us what we need, and it's reasonably priced at $800-$900 bucks. If they're worried about taxes/dutys/traveling with equipment and/or having their secret stolen, that's their prerogative.

1. Femto requires physical access to the DME
  2. Femto can do a partial unlock on original DME or a Full Unlock on a Cloned DME
  3. Femto Can clone your DME
There are also stateside companies (@Levanime) than can clone. He just needs the full firmware dump that Femto provides that you alluded to.

like can we tell locked DMEs just by model number?
Unfortunately not

Or we need to check the manufacturing date regardless as a single model number DME can be both unlocked and locked depending on when it was made
Yeah, unfortunately, the date needs to be checked.

----

My money is on a voltage glitching attack or similar.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Femto invited all of us to ask them questions directly in their new telegram channel. This was created due to loss of instagram use in their country:

They lurk here very often 😉

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
The Femto guys are good and definitely not predatory. They have a method to get us what we need, and it's reasonably priced at $800-$900 bucks. If they're worried about taxes/dutys/traveling with equipment and/or having their secret stolen, that's their prerogative.

There are also stateside companies (@Levanime) than can clone. He just needs the full firmware dump that Femto provides that you alluded to.

Unfortunately not

Yeah, unfortunately, the date needs to be checked.

----

My money is on a voltage glitching attack or similar.
well i appreciate that they provide us with a method nonetheless, but im sure its not hard for them to franchise to the states even to Visconti or others who they have been working with, what i am saying is they can protect their Intellectual property 100% if they want to and still franchise stateside. Them choosing not to do that is kind of weird for me, like i get it you want to make all the money, but even then they would probably quadruple their income if they did franchise to the states.

And cloning is not an issue as it can be done stateside, and im sure i can learn how to clone too, its the data dump thats super important.

i also asked you another question on this thread, could you tell if your femto DME was cracked open?

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Femto invited all of us to ask them questions directly in their new telegram channel. This was created due to loss of instagram use in their country:

They lurk here very often 😉
Yes i know they lurk here often, and i dont mean to offend anyone, just saying there are safeguards they can use and still franchise to the states without loosing their intellectual property.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
well i appreciate that they provide us with a method nonetheless, but im sure its not hard for them to franchise to the states even to Visconti or others who they have been working with, what i am saying is they can protect their Intellectual property 100% if they want to and still franchise stateside. Them choosing not to do that is kind of weird for me, like i get it you want to make all the money, but even then they would probably quadruple their income if they did franchise to the states.

And cloning is not an issue as it can be done stateside, and im sure i can learn how to clone too, its the data dump thats super important.

i also asked you another question on this thread, could you tell if your femto DME was cracked open?
Well, the OE ECU would be the one that's opened, not the Femto, and I'm not sure if they opened it or not. I've since opened it for other reasons.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Well, the OE ECU would be the one that's opened, not the Femto, and I'm not sure if they opened it or not. I've since opened it for other reasons.
yea i meant the original DME, so you didnt notice if it was opened upon delivery?

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Nope. No idea.
oh ok, btw do you know what DMEs are compatible? what am i supposed to be looking for in junkyards besides checking dates on supra DMEs what other cars are compatible?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
oh ok, btw do you know what DMEs are compatible? what am i supposed to be looking for in junkyards besides checking dates on supra DMEs what other cars are compatible?
Mine is an 2019 BMW X5 ecu. Any 2nd gen B58 ECU works.

OP
OP
Surebob

Surebob

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra A90
Doesn't need to be 6 port, obviously. The 2020 Supras aren't.
oh yea your right lol, you said second gen i got confused, so what does second gen exactly mean

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Levanime

First Name
Levan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bimecu.com
Car(s)
BMW
there are safeguards they can use and still franchise to the states without loosing their intellectual property.
If you work in this field and know better than them what and how can be protected, I'm sure they would appreciate the information and pay for it good money.
Sponsored